Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beomaster 2400 - no power up / protection mode repair

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Irata
Not Ranked
Minneapolis
54 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
Irata posted on Tue, Jan 17 2017 2:24 PM

Hi everybody, first post, so maybe a little introduction as well.

1st off, as of 4 weeks ago, I really knew nothing about electronics, (and for the most part, still don't). I didn't know the difference between a transistor and Mr. Tran's sister.

I've usually been able to figure out most things mechanically, and repair most things on my own. Electronics on the other hand...

At any rate I picked up a great B&O kit off CL. The 2400 in question, plus a Beocord 2400, Beogram 3400 and a pair of S45.2s. Everything is in great shape, but the output on one channel is a bit thin compared to the other. 

Before I go much further, know that I have a cap and lamp kit on order from Martin.

 

All Replies

Irata
Not Ranked
Minneapolis
54 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
Irata replied on Thu, Jan 19 2017 3:23 PM

The caps and lamps have now arrived, and I'm in process of updating those aged components, and fixing that damn tone control light board!!

Irata
Not Ranked
Minneapolis
54 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
Irata replied on Sat, Jan 21 2017 1:40 PM

All the new lamps are in, and the tone control board has been restored back to its original specifications. Gone are the LEDs and weird mix of resistors.

LEDs before in post above.

Wiring before:

Irata
Not Ranked
Minneapolis
54 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
Irata replied on Sat, Jan 21 2017 1:41 PM

Back to normal:

Since the previous owner had switched out to LEDs, they also threw out the lamp retaining clips. I fashioned some out of an aluminum can I had laying around. Not perfect, but it gets the job done.

Irata
Not Ranked
Minneapolis
54 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
Irata replied on Sat, Jan 21 2017 1:48 PM

All the caps have been replaced with Martin's kit. The odd sounding speaker out of one channel still exists.

My next move is to replace the idle trimmers and the large caps.

I suspect the trimmers won't have effect as I had just calibrated the existing without effect. I hope that the new large caps should do the trick.

I also picked up another pair of S45.2s, however these have the dreaded  unstuck magnet/stuck voice coil issue. One of the magnets and pole piece was just rolling around in the cabinet when I got it, so that's the next fun project to tackle!

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL