rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 68 Replies | 3 Followers

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
240 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav posted on Wed, Jan 4 2017 11:00 AM

If You are making use of Twonky Server from the QNAP App Center on their NAS then beware of that they have dropped the support for Twonky Server in the current beta v4.3.x and moving forward. Quoting a brief response that I got from the QNAP support after that I realized that Twonky isn't no longer combatible with the current beta:

"After 4.3.x, Twonky service is not available on NAS system. For DLNA service, we will suggest please apply the built-in DLNA service and install media streaming add-on app on App center for advanced management too."

Depending on what QNAP NAS you have, you can quickly overcome this issue by making use of the ContainerStation and run a dedicated Twonky Server to support the BeoSound Moment. The container solution dosn't add any significant overhead compared using the twonky server from the app center.

All Replies

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Feb 8 2017 3:57 PM

Thanks to your help I got Twonky using ContainerStation running, but I went back to the original Twonky, and haven't updated the OS for my QNAP... yet. So I haven't run into the issue you've mentioned. I'm sure once I do update the SW I'll run into it, but I don't have the Moment, I've got an Essence - curious how the issue you've found will manifest.

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,716 Posts
Gold Member
Sal - when you update, don't go for the Container station but for the App, installation is simpler.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Feb 8 2017 9:50 PM

mbolo01:
restart the QNAP, install the Twonky QNAP package found on the Twonky download site (not the EOM package found in App Center)

Where did you find the Twonky QNAP package? I found only Windows Mac Linux on the Twonky downloads site (http://twonky.com/downloads/), is the Linux the package you're referring to?

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,716 Posts
Gold Member

8.4 is freshly out here: http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4/

I just installed Qnap x86 package, works as expected but has a new licensing process.

If you don't have a license yet, and if you don't want to create an account on their site, you can download 8.3 at http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.3/, free trail for 30 days

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
240 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav replied on Tue, Feb 14 2017 10:32 AM

mbolo01:
After a QNAP restart, followed by a Moment restart, the Moment displays a DLNA server unavailable error message. (I can provide more details if needed) To temporarily recover, the Twonky server has to be selected again in the DLNA source, but it triggers a full scan and is valid until the next restarts.

Just tested on my side and I don't have that behaviour and I've restarted the QNAP previously and as well stopped and restarted the ContainerStation and single containers as well. And checking the Moment it stills lists the Twonky Server and plays local music. When I've been fiddling around with twonky I've always ensured that the specific units which is depended of the twonky has been shut down. So guess that you might generate an issue if you reboot or starts twonky, container or the NAS while playing or even when idle.

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
240 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav replied on Tue, Feb 14 2017 10:49 AM

mbolo01:
8.4 is freshly out here: http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4/

I just installed Qnap x86 package, works as expected but has a new licensing process.

Missed this one that they've made a qnap specific package available which simplyfies the handling a lot when it comes to updates. So thanks for the update! Also see that there are a lot of things fixed in this release.

Also, noticed that you need to, among other, install QNAP HD Station and HD Player including that the installer pre-selects a huge of amount of application I don't want to install which can be delsected. Feels that the overall overhead going with the Twonky 8.4 downloads might bring more issues compared making use of the Container solution. What you're take on this?

Finally, Any issues so far noted using the Moment and what SW version are you using currently on your Moment, still the standard stock firmware or the beta?

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,716 Posts
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Tue, Feb 14 2017 12:32 PM
kimhav:

Just tested on my side and I don't have that behaviour and I've restarted the QNAP previously and as well stopped and restarted the ContainerStation

To trigger the issue you also need to restart the Moment.

I was able to capture more info on the issue and I have an incident opened with QNAP as the issue is also impacting QNAP media server, Twonky app and Twonky in a container.

Basically what happens on mine is the following:

When I installed the Container Station and the Twonky Docker, two virtual switches were created. The media servers are listening the three interface, one physical and two virtual if not restricted to do so.

What I was able to observe is that the network advertising of the DLNA services messed up the physical and the virtual MAC address in the UDN UUID, e.g the UDN UUID of the physical interface, the one used by the Moment to recognize the selected DLNA server, had the MAC address of one of the virtual interface. My guess is that at each QNAP restart a new virtual MAC address is generated, this changing the physical UDN UUID value which let the Moment think that the previously selected DLNA source is no longer available .... pfew

To confirm my guess, the available DLNA server list on the Moment had twice my Twonky server name listed, grey background the currently selected and white background the new one, same friendlyName but different UDN UUID which is what the Moment relies on (same behavior with other DLNA servers running on the NAS as specified earlier)

With the Twonky QPKG running like a charm, I removed the Container Station app which solved my issue

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,716 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav:

What you're take on this?

Finally, Any issues so far noted using the Moment and what SW version are you using currently on your Moment, still the standard stock firmware or the beta?

I don't think Twonky QPKG impacts a lot the overall setup, and when wrapped in a Container, it surely impacts more due to the virtualization layers you are adding to the setup.

My Moment is running the beta and no issue so far that could be linked to the new. Twonky version.

The issue I have independently of the version is that when you stream from the Twonky, it enriches the "recently played" playlist which triggers a DLNA content change and a Moment rescan .... which means that rescan always happen as you stream DLNA content.

B&O may find a way to circumvent the issue, but it would be good to have an INI option in Twonky to disable default playlists, I'll submit a request

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Feb 14 2017 2:39 PM

For those of you running Twonky pointed to an iTUnes library, are you seeing your static iTunes playlists on the Moment or Essence MkII? I'm running an Essence MKII and I can't see any of my iTunes Static playlists. I used to be able to, and now, nothing. I don't know when this change / altered behavior began. Thanks!

Page 5 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL