rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 68 Replies | 3 Followers

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
240 Posts
Gold Member
kimhav posted on Wed, Jan 4 2017 11:00 AM

If You are making use of Twonky Server from the QNAP App Center on their NAS then beware of that they have dropped the support for Twonky Server in the current beta v4.3.x and moving forward. Quoting a brief response that I got from the QNAP support after that I realized that Twonky isn't no longer combatible with the current beta:

"After 4.3.x, Twonky service is not available on NAS system. For DLNA service, we will suggest please apply the built-in DLNA service and install media streaming add-on app on App center for advanced management too."

Depending on what QNAP NAS you have, you can quickly overcome this issue by making use of the ContainerStation and run a dedicated Twonky Server to support the BeoSound Moment. The container solution dosn't add any significant overhead compared using the twonky server from the app center.

All Replies

Justin
Not Ranked
The Netherlands
32 Posts
Bronze Member
mbolo01:

I think I can help. I just did it for myself and it looks ok.

1 - you have to enable Telnet (or SSH) on your NAS to connect with a terminal session 2 - connect as Admin 3 - identify the directory where your music collection is ("/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music" in my case) 4 - go in the directory where the container directory files are located ("/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Public" in my case) 5 - in the ../Public directory, create a symbolic link named "Music" (for example) to the music collection: ln -s "/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music" Music 6 - When creating your Twonky Container, in the Advanced Settings/Shared Folders, add a "Volume from host", browse the /Public directory, select the Music directory created in step 5 and name the mount point /Music (for example), hit enter to validate 7 - Create the Twonky Container

I now have a Twonky 8.3 running in a Container that has indexed my 35k track in a very fast time. running in // with the QNAP Twonky 8.2 app.

If QNAP DLNA server does not make the job, I'll purchase a Twonky License

Hope it helps

Can you also create playlists with that Twonkey setup which the Moment reckognizes?

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,112 Posts
Bronze Member

Just to be sure; this check box has been enabled?

Or............Alternative server (music only): Minimserver; very stable, adjustable (even dsf to lpcm)

Of all tried I found this one the best. In my setting even Twonky couldn't beat Minimserver. I found the latter is faster and always visible and ready for use. Also like the easy access to artists and albums.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,112 Posts
Bronze Member

Sal:
which prevents the BeoMusic App from “seeing” the QNAP DLNA server as a music source
did you ever test C5 or 8player apps as "controllers"? do they recognize the QNAP media server?

Sal:
I really feel like I’m caught between a rock and a hard place with B&O & the Essence. I don’t want a Moment, and the Essence’s interface (the BeoMusic App), has two glaring weaknesses in my opinion: use ability for large music libraries is cumbersome, and its dependence on a 3rd party software which B&O has no influence over. So the customer experience can differ from user to user.
The Beomusic app is dependant of the server; weak server - bad experience!

EDIT: or weak network infrastructure - bad experience

Sal:
the BeoMusic App doesn’t have a search feature
an dlna/upnp issue. Otherwise you get the "Moment" solution.

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,720 Posts
Gold Member

Carolpa:
Just to be sure; this check box has been enabled?

Not sure about Sal, but in my case yes and the QNAP DLNA Server is seen by ALL players BUT the A6

In my opinion, something in he A6 code prevents the identification of the QNAP DLNA Server and it will be hard to have either B&O fixing it as they may state that they have no issue with other DLNA Server brands or QNAP that will state that they have no issue with other DLNA Player brands ......

@Sal: Have you installed the QNAP 4.3 Beta or are you still on 4.2?

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,720 Posts
Gold Member

Justin:
Can you also create playlists with that Twonkey setup which the Moment reckognizes?

If you had playlists while using Twonky as a QNAP App, then there is no change with this setup as the media directory points to the same one.

In my case I'm loading my music through iTunes on a QNAP Shared folder and I have placed my m3u in the iTunes Media/Music directory which is the directory processed by both Twonky QNAP App and Twonky running in a Docker container.

The playlist are taken into consideration by Twonky and the Moment can see them.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,720 Posts
Gold Member

Sal:
I'm only superficially familiar with terminal and ssh,

Don't hesitate to ask for help.

I agree it is a lot of work to maintain such setup, reason why non tech aware B&O customers are leveraging and paying their resellers for that ...... resellers who have all the pain!

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
240 Posts
Gold Member

Sal:
Is there a step by step guide to using Container Station to run Twonky? I have an Essence, and a QNAP TS451+

It's quite straight forward to get it up and running once you've fired up the ContainerStation:

1. Start ContainerStation and click on Create Container and search for Twonky container image if you want to use pre-defined containers (else you could also search for Debian and install Twonky server yourself). I've used the wieweet/twonkyserver container image for my test setup.

2. After you've choosen the image to make use of you then come to the configuration part and first step is to limit the memory to make use of and set this to for example 2048MB which is more than enough for Twonky. Containers (the containers make use of virtual memory ballooning, so they will only reserv what is needed.)

3. Click on the Advanced Settings and choose the Shared Folder section and mount the volume for which you keep your music archive to be indexed by Twonky. Click on the Host Path and locate the directory and then enter the mount point to be used by Twonky container, for example /mnt/music.

4. Hit Create and with that the container image will be downloaded and configured and setup by ContainerStation. So this might take a few minutes depending on your connection speed.

5. After this just fire up Twonky Server as you normaly would do by using your NAS IP (for example http://192.168.0.15) and port 9000 (or what ever port you choose to make use of) which Twonky server makes use of.

To be honest I'm still struggling with getting Moment to locate my Twonky Container and I don't know whether it's the container image itself or what. So I'm going to give it a try with a Debian container image and install Twonky Server myself and see if this make any different. The issue is that I can't get the stream to work which I've only tried from my laptop but need to test from a mobile phone as well. But, let's see, it could also be an issue with hte beta I'm running of QNAP OS so looking forward to hear if any other makes a quick success of this.

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
240 Posts
Gold Member

Sal:
I can confirm that the QNAP sees the Beosound Essence, Beosound A6, as well as my BV11 in the devices list o the scanned media receivers, but Beomusic doesn't show the renamed "QNAPServer" in the source list. Damnit B&O!

Same here, the QNAP sees the Beosound Moment but not the other way around; did try to make use of both the standard port 8200 which  QNAP makes use of for it's media server and as well port 9000 if the Moment excepts to see a Twonky server which didn't make any difference.

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
240 Posts
Gold Member

Sal:
The issue is that there is no way I can find to point TwonkyServer within ContainerStation to the directories where my music is stored.

Well, you do this under the Advanced Settings/Shared Folders - Pick what directory on the the NAS you want to map to the container and enter a mount name; /mnt/<Your Name of Choice>. Then once Twonky Server is fired up just pick the /mnt/<Your Name of Choice>.

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
240 Posts
Gold Member

mbolo01:
I now have a Twonky 8.3 running in a Container that has indexed my 35k track in a very fast time. running in // with the QNAP Twonky 8.2 app.

Which Twonky container image did you make use of and you didn't have any problem for Moment to locate the Twonky Server?

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,112 Posts
Bronze Member

I am very curious to know if one of the apps C5 or 8player can direct the music from the QNAP media server to a Beosound?

they can be used as alternatives to Beomusic.

Could one do the test?

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,720 Posts
Gold Member

kimhav:
Which Twonky container image did you make use of and you didn't have any problem for Moment to locate the Twonky Server?

Kimhav: I used "wieweet/twonkyserver" Build of dlaventu/twonkyserver for Twonkyserver 8.3 (first one in the list while searching for Twonky in the directory)

I set the Network to Bridge and used a static IP address.

The Moment sees it in the list of available DLNA servers.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,544 Posts
Bronze Member

Do you mean like this - only using the 'QNAP media server' as a server?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,720 Posts
Gold Member

I tried with 8Player lite and (1) the QNAP DLNA Server source can be played on the iPhone (2) Only the BS Moment appears in the list of possible players, not the A6 (3) When the Moment is selected, the processing wheel keeps turning, the application is stuck, no sound out of the Moment.

Fyi: I can stream from the Twonky server UI to the BS Moment without issue

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
240 Posts
Gold Member

mbolo01:
I used "wieweet/twonkyserver" Build of dlaventu/twonkyserver for Twonkyserver 8.3 (first one in the list while searching for Twonky in the directory) I set the Network to Bridge and used a static IP address.

Okay, same container image (dlaventu/twonkyserver) as I used then but what made the difference to get the Moment to find the twonky server was to make use of Bridge Mode for the network. The Moment here on my side is currently scanning the content and the twonky container is still flatlining the CPU meter - So extremely low overhead overall on the QNAP TS-853A (Intel Celeron N3150@1.60GHz / 16GB Memory) unit which I'm running with.

Page 3 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL