rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Wamsankas
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member
Wamsankas posted on Wed, Dec 14 2016 5:37 AM

Hi all.

i know this information is here somewhere I just can't find it. My B&O addiction started with beolit 15 then A9 now I have finally pullled the trigger on beolab 18s. I got them on eBay so I really have no idea how to set them up/what is the best set up. I have an Apple TV (4th gen) running to my brand new LG tv. I'd like to run all my music/movies from Apple TV to speakers. Wired or wirelesss, whatever sounds best and I'd like to keep additional costs around 500 usd if that's even possible. Please help! Would be so appreciative for links to any of this info. Just looking for BEST setup within $$ means.

All Replies

Henrik
Top 500 Contributor
Norway
165 Posts
Bronze Member
Henrik replied on Wed, Dec 14 2016 6:55 AM
I seem to remember having heard that LG is one of the brands that supported WiSA in at least some of their TVs? Have you checked if this happens to be the case with yours? Would be sweet if you could run the 18s wirelessly directly from your TV...

If not, maybe invest in a Transmitter 1?

-h.
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,487 Posts
Bronze Member
Wamsankas:

Hi all.

i know this information is here somewhere I just can't find it. My B&O addiction started with beolit 15 then A9 now I have finally pullled the trigger on beolab 18s. I got them on eBay so I really have no idea how to set them up/what is the best set up. I have an Apple TV (4th gen) running to my brand new LG tv. I'd like to run all my music/movies from Apple TV to speakers. Wired or wirelesss, whatever sounds best and I'd like to keep additional costs around 500 usd if that's even possible. Please help! Would be so appreciative for links to any of this info. Just looking for BEST setup within $$ means.

BeoPlay S8 connection hub maybe?

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,593 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Dec 14 2016 9:28 AM

Have not read anywere that LG has WISA capable TVs.

Think the Transmitter 1 is a good option. You can then run an optic cable from AppleTV to the transmitter, and control the volume using your remote. Think price is around 350 Eur.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,539 Posts
Bronze Member

Hiort:

Have not read anywere that LG has WISA capable TVs.

Think the Transmitter 1 is a good option. You can then run an optic cable from AppleTV to the transmitter, and control the volume using your remote. Think price is around 350 Eur.

LG is a member of the WiSA organization.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/wisa-ces-lg-sharp-enclave-wireless-home-theater/

To my knowledge there are no WiSA compatible LG devices on the market (yet).

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Wamsankas
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Yeah i feel like this will be my best option but new apple tv does not have optic out so i guess i could just run that from the LG tv? (no wisa in tv) but i have been seeing places that i then couldn't control the volume or something?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,593 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Dec 14 2016 4:35 PM
Wamsankas:

Yeah i feel like this will be my best option but new apple tv does not have optic out so i guess i could just run that from the LG tv? (no wisa in tv) but i have been seeing places that i then couldn't control the volume or something?

You can take the sound from the TV. You most likely have opto out on your LG.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
991 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort:

You can take the sound from the TV. You most likely have opto out on your LG.

no all optical outs are useable without other devices

be careful

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
172 Posts
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Wed, Dec 14 2016 8:54 PM

I have actually a very similar set up as you, an LG OLED and a AppleTV. Not sure the exact model of TV you have but on my LG OLED the optical out does not have volume control - so everything outputted will be full volume! This is desired if connecting to a DAC or some other end device to control volume.

It is possible to control the volume on AppleTV but there's chances it could be set to full, say via AirPlay moreover your other possible sources connected to the TV via HDMI will probably not have such provision. So forget that.

My Advice is to get an external DAC preamp which is connected via Toslink to the LG tv output. Connect the Beolab 18s via its RCA pre outs and be done. That's what I did and works just fine, prices for these vary from a few hundred to several thousand.

Transmitter1 is basically the same price as a decent DAC anyway with less connections. Plus the wireless aspect is sort of overrated imho, they still need to be mains powered so running an extra wire is not that more of a hassle.

Wamsankas
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

davidr:

I have actually a very similar set up as you, an LG OLED and a AppleTV. Not sure the exact model of TV you have but on my LG OLED the optical out does not have volume control - so everything outputted will be full volume! This is desired if connecting to a DAC or some other end device to control volume.

It is possible to control the volume on AppleTV but there's chances it could be set to full, say via AirPlay moreover your other possible sources connected to the TV via HDMI will probably not have such provision. So forget that.

My Advice is to get an external DAC preamp which is connected via Toslink to the LG tv output. Connect the Beolab 18s via its RCA pre outs and be done. That's what I did and works just fine, prices for these vary from a few hundred to several thousand.

Transmitter1 is basically the same price as a decent DAC anyway with less connections. Plus the wireless aspect is sort of overrated imho, they still need to be mains powered so running an extra wire is not that more of a hassle.

Great info. thanks so much. yeah was concerned about the lack of controlling volume everyone has been speaking about. ill look into this setup. thanks!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,429 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Dec 14 2016 10:09 PM
davidr:

I'm surprised you say that. I find the wireless capability extremely useful if I want to change the position of the BL18s which I have done from time to time. I have power sockets all over the place so it is easy to just pick them up and plug them in somewhere else. Running speaker cables to different parts of my open plan living space bearing in mind doors, full length windows, stairs etc would be a pain, especially just to try them somewhere different.
Wamsankas
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Duels:
davidr:

I'm surprised you say that. I find the wireless capability extremely useful if I want to change the position of the BL18s which I have done from time to time. I have power sockets all over the place so it is easy to just pick them up and plug them in somewhere else. Running speaker cables to different parts of my open plan living space bearing in mind doors, full length windows, stairs etc would be a pain, especially just to try them somewhere different.

So what is your exact setup? when do you have running into the transmitter and how to you control volume?

okko
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
okko replied on Thu, Jan 5 2017 10:00 PM

the optical out does not have volume control - so everything outputted will be full volume!

davidr:

Transmitter 1 is not a DAC, it's actually just the opposite, since you can feed it analog audio via the RCA cables, and it will digitize the analog audio and then transmit it digitally and wirelessly to Beolab 18. It can also take in digital signals, with them no analog/digital conversion is needed of course. It's just a remote input box for the speakers.

Since Beolab 18 has integrated DSP, I've understood that if you input them analog audio with RCA cables straight from the source, and use no Transmitter 1, a similar conversion from analog to digital happens inside the speakers as would happen within Transmitter 1. One can feed the speakers digital audio with TOSLINK directly, but the volume control needs to happen somewhere on the line.

Using a Transmitter 1 would not solve the volume control need, as the installation guide of Transmitter 1 says about TOSLINK: "Connect 3rd party products to the BeoLab Transmitter 1 using a TOSLINK cable. The volume of the signal must be adjusted from the audio system." (page 9 in the pdf available at https://beocincinnati.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204227053-DOCUMENTATION-BeoLab-Transmitter-1-Installation-Guide )

I'm also in search of a reasonably priced AV preamp solution that would allow to choose between multiple sources (HDMI, TOSLINK, analog audio), would decode audio to volume controlled TOSLINK output and would pass on the video signal with HDMI to the tv (HDCP and all). Not sure if one really has to go analog in between a digital source (say, the most recent Apple TV with HDMI only) and the digital input of the speakers, just to control volume.

It's true that your solution is probably the most cost effective with good quality sound. The conversion from analog in the speakers should be top notch anyway, so I would not worry about the partly analog path too much. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL