rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 82 Replies | 11 Followers

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
696 Posts
Bronze Member
kuyttendaele posted on Tue, Nov 22 2016 1:29 PM

Hi...

Just stumbled onto Bang & Olufsen Create.

Nothing special on their website: http://create.bang-olufsen.com

But the Instagram account show some interesting concepts! https://www.instagram.com/beocreate/

Karel.

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,479 Posts
Bronze Member

I guess rhe Penta-guys would go mad, if there were boards for these speaker ;-)))))

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
2,233 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

I guess rhe Penta-guys would go mad, if there were boards for these speaker ;-)))))

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

That would require a much more powerful amplified :)Big SmileBig Smile

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,418 Posts
Bronze Member

This initiative has the potential to solve so many problems. Removal of capacitor crossovers in speakers and improved speaker tuning/ performance.

Direct streaming to the speakers.

Retiring of old inefficient Beomasters.... no need to replace capacitors every few years.... they can just be kept as artistic statements/ discussion pieces.. and the end of Class A/B room heating amplification.

Graham

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
2,097 Posts
Gold Member

vikinger:

..and the end of Class A/B room heating amplification.

Graham

Some of us in colder climates reply on our Class A/B power amps for warmth through the winter months! Big Smile

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
207 Posts
Bronze Member

tph:

BeoLignage:

3: for sure a separate question, but would it be possible to get multi channel pcm decoded and amplified by the raspberry and your board?

Thanks! 😊 To answer some of your questions:

3: I'll have to ask about this, off the top of my head I can't say.

Sorry but last night, from nowhere, I remembered that there is no multichannel PCM capability over Toslink. So that’s a trick question at best. The band width is too small on optical for uncompressed 5.1, so it would in that case be a Dolby or DTS stream, but then you would end up with licensing issues etc. so I guess the answer is NO.

So I like to ask a different question instead:

If you make a nice board with amplifiers and DSP that makes e.g. a CX100 active, and it sounds way better than any CX100 ever has, then I would like to use it in a home cinema setup (or even as a stereo pair), but that would then require an analogue input (or the option to set it to “left” or “right” in the stereo case).

Would that even be remotely possible with your board? And don’t get me wrong, I don’t try to diminish the work you’re doing and I’m super exited already at the single CX100 streaming speaker, but also have to ask for more :)

//Goran

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
161 Posts
Bronze Member
tph replied on Fri, Sep 8 2017 6:35 PM

BeoLignage:

Sorry but last night, from nowhere, I remembered that there is no multichannel PCM capability over Toslink. So that’s a trick question at best. The band width is too small on optical for uncompressed 5.1, so it would in that case be a Dolby or DTS stream, but then you would end up with licensing issues etc. so I guess the answer is NO.

So I like to ask a different question instead:

If you make a nice board with amplifiers and DSP that makes e.g. a CX100 active, and it sounds way better than any CX100 ever has, then I would like to use it in a home cinema setup (or even as a stereo pair), but that would then require an analogue input (or the option to set it to “left” or “right” in the stereo case).

Would that even be remotely possible with your board? And don’t get me wrong, I don’t try to diminish the work you’re doing and I’m super exited already at the single CX100 streaming speaker, but also have to ask for more :)

//Goran

Thanks for following up! I just remembered that I explained this same thing about Toslink limitations a while ago in the BeoSound Shape thread (the reason why stereo audio is sent to the amplifier tiles and processing is done there and not on the Core). I think the more powerful SHARC DSPs from Analog Devices have the possibility to decode Dolby Digital / DTS, but even then, that is as far as I know only available with a licence, as you suggested. This board uses the ADAU1451, if you're curious.

Adding an analogue input is something I'm also interested in. There's no onboard ADC, that's for sure, so it would have to be some kind of an add-on for sure. I've reached out to HiFiBerry to ask what kind of options we would have for that.

If your source provides digital output, creating a stereo pair is already possible. We can daisy-chain as many boards as we want using the Toslink connectors, effectively routing the same stereo signal to all of them. We will then instruct the DSP to just use either L or R channel of that signal. I can't promise that creating this kind of setup will be supported directly through the Bang & Olufsen app, but it's very easy to program this behaviour to the DSP manually through SigmaStudio running on a Windows PC (or if you're a Mac user like us, run it in a virtual machine).

I want to assure you we do not see asking about these features as "diminishing our work" – in fact, part of the fun with this project is trying to imagine all kinds of possible use cases for this board Smile

— Tuomas | Bang & Olufsen | Bang & Olufsen Create

mevangel
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

I would upgrade my CX100 speakers with two boards, for use in a stereo system. 

1) Would you please provide information about the daisy-chain link between right and left speaker?

2) Is it possible to use the fourth channel of the board to drive a Cona subwoofer? How?

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Marco

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
161 Posts
Bronze Member
tph replied on Mon, Nov 13 2017 12:57 PM

mevangel:

I would upgrade my CX100 speakers with two boards, for use in a stereo system. 

1) Would you please provide information about the daisy-chain link between right and left speaker?

2) Is it possible to use the fourth channel of the board to drive a Cona subwoofer? How?

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Marco

Hi Marco and thanks for the interesting question.

For creating a CX100 pair, there are a couple of ways to approach it. Both of them come with tradeoffs, so I’ll detail both and you can decide which one you like best.

First is to upcycle both CX100s as usual, placing the boards inside the cabinets of the loudspeakers. For the pairing, the optical inputs and outputs of the boards would be used, which means that in addition to the connector that supplies power to the board (this replaces the original DIN connector in our guides), you will need to make another opening to the back panel for the optical cable.

The issue with this is that optical cables are very rigid and can’t be bent, so the opening would have to be exactly where the connector is located on the board. This would then have to be sealed to maintain the air-tightness of the speaker.

The second method is to instead locate the boards outside of the speakers, in a central location. For this, you would bypass the original crossover just as in the first method, but instead of fitting the CX100s with a power plug, you would run a 6-core (2 cores for each driver) cable from the speaker (however long you need for your setup). At the other end of these cables, you connect the 6 leads of each cable to each of the two boards, and finally link them using the optical cable.

The tradeoff here is obviously that the setup is not as neat than if the boards were inside of the speakers.

In both cases, the software setup tool will allow you to choose which one of the speakers is the left and which is the right. When playing music, you should stream to the "master" speaker, and the "slave" speaker will receive it automatically over the optical link.

The Cona actually makes this really interesting to me, particularly in the case of the second method I described. If you’re willing to modify your Cona, you could actually place both boards inside the subwoofer and run the 6-core cables from there to the CX100s, and use the two remaining outputs on the boards for the subwoofer (even bypassing the original crossover), just as you thought. Probably in this case you would use one of the 60W outputs for the Cona and move one of the CX100 woofers to a 30W output. Think of this like a BeoLab 14 with beefier satellites Cool

Adding the Cona to the mix like this means that we need to create a special DSP program for the setup, but if you decide to go forward with this, I’d be glad to help you out with it.

As you can probably see, there are many possibilities to get to the end result Smile

mevangel
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Tuomas,

thank you for your quick reply.

Concerning the link between right and left channel, I am thinking of a few other possibilities:

1) the first consists in lifting the optical module from the board, and placing it in a convenient position on the rear cover of the speaker, or even outside. Obviously providing sealing of the cabinet.

2) the second consists in converting the optical spdif signal to a coaxial spdif signal (there are cheap devices on the market to do this) on the master side. The spdif signal will be converted from coaxial to optical on the slave side. Placing a sealed coaxial connector (such as a BNC) on the rear cover should not be so hard.

3) the third option consists in giving up with the optical interface. The optical module would be removed from the board. It should then be possible to adapt signal level picked up from the board to a standard spdif level.  

Concerning the use of a cona subwoofer:

1) Using a 30W amplifier for one driver and a 60W amplifier for the other will cause an inbalance. Can this be corrected by means of a proper programming of the DSP?

2) As far as I know, the cona has a two-voice coil driver. Will each voice coil be driven by a distinct (left or right) spare 60W amplifier?

3) In a first step I will upgrade the CX100s only. In a second step I will proceed further with the cona, and in that case I will certainly ask you for help!

I would be glad to receive your comments.

Thanks again.

Marco

tkl
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
tkl replied on Wed, Feb 7 2018 6:07 PM

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the info.

Is it also possible to connect to cx50 to one DSP and amp?

E.g. by connecting the second cx50 with a cable to the first.

Even better would if the other speaker is not connected it would play mono and if they are two connected it would play stereo. Is that possible?

Kind regards,

Ton

tkl
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
tkl replied on Wed, Feb 7 2018 6:07 PM

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the info.

Even better would if the other speaker is not connected it would play mono and if they are two connected it would play stereo. Is that possible?

Kind regards,

Ton

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
161 Posts
Bronze Member
tph replied on Wed, Feb 7 2018 6:20 PM

tkl:

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the info.

Kind regards,

Ton

Hi Ton and thanks for your question!

Yes, this is totally possible. If you have two CX50s connected to one BeoCreate 4-Channel Amplifier, you can activate the stereo mode, and then use mono for one. This needs to be done manually because the DSP doesn't really know if speakers are connected, but it's very easy to do – just a few taps/clicks in the setup tool.

Best,

Tuomas

tkl
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
tkl replied on Wed, Feb 7 2018 7:21 PM

Where can I find more info about the setup tool?

And which players are supported?

Are there any requirements for the players?

Kind regards,

Ton

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
161 Posts
Bronze Member
tph replied on Wed, Feb 7 2018 10:36 PM

tkl:

Where can I find more info about the setup tool?

And which players are supported?

Are there any requirements for the players?

Kind regards,

Ton

The setup tool is web-based and located at http://www.bang-olufsen.com/recreate/setup/. When the necessary software is running on the Raspberry Pi, the setup tool can connect to it over the local network and get you through setting up the BeoCreate 4-Channel Amplifier. It works directly in the browser and doesn't need to be downloaded or installed.

From the start, the available sources are Bluetooth, Toslink, AirPlay 1 and Spotify Connect, so there's a wide variety of devices you can use it with. Note that there's no BeoLink (NL) integration – it's a standalone product at the moment. Of course, as the software for BeoCreate is open-source, everyone is welcome to dig in and experiment.

There's documentation of some of the software on HiFiBerry website: https://www.hifiberry.com/beocreate/beocreate-doc/

And of course I'm here to answer any questions you may have about it.

Tuomas

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
1,824 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Thu, Feb 8 2018 1:29 PM

tph:
Note that there's no BeoLink (NL) integration – it's a standalone product at the moment. Of course, as the software for BeoCreate is open-source, everyone is welcome to dig in and experiment.

Hi tph,

Are you working on NL integration, or is it something we must not expect too much? (I understand that bringing NL compatibility while working open source is a potential threat to B&O as it will allow people to create (no pun intended) speakers that could cannibalize the NL range...) 

Page 3 of 6 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL