Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolab 5 Generations

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

carstenkochde
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
carstenkochde posted on Sun, Nov 6 2016 11:04 PM

Please community, does anyone know which generations exist of the Beolab 5?

I am going to buy a pair of Beolab 5. I do strongly consider to by a second life pair, instead of a new one. 

They will be run as a surround sound system, together with four Beolab 3 speakers, driven by a B&O television that still needs to be acquired, and with a Beosound 9000.

What would I have to pay attention to? In which years did the product generations change? Did any change affect the sound quality? Did any change affect the compatibility with other B&O devices? 

Thank you for your valuable help.

Kind regards

Carsten

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,826 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Carsten,

Welcome to Beoworld! The only major change to Beolab 5 that I am aware of was the activation of the "Sync" socket from April 2004 (at serial number 17772145 and software level 2.5), but this only really affects owners who are using Beolab 5 with a non-B&O system.

Basically, the Sync socket allows a pair of Beolab 5 speakers to play at matched volume levels when used with a non-B&O source via the S/PDIF or Line inputs, via this Sync cable: http://soundsheavenly.com/beolab-5-and-beolab-90/41--sync-beolab-5-.html

For earlier Beolab 5 versions used with a non-B&O system, you need to ensure that each speaker has line of sight from the remote control to keep the volume levels matched.  For use with a B&O TV or music system, the Powerlink cable provides volume data to each speaker, so the Sync function isn't needed.

Hence, any version of Beolab 5 should work well for your setup.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,171 Posts
Bronze Member
They also changed the power socket from IEC C14 to IEC C8. Probably only due to Eu regulations. But some argue this was a cost saving feature although I fail to see why it would be. C8 is not grounded though.
GuyHUI
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, FRANCE
1,597 Posts
Bronze Member
GuyHUI replied on Wed, Jun 24 2020 10:59 PM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi Carsten,

Welcome to Beoworld! The only major change to Beolab 5 that I am aware of was the activation of the "Sync" socket from April 2004 (at serial number 17772145 and software level 2.5), but this only really affects owners who are using Beolab 5 with a non-B&O system.

Basically, the Sync socket allows a pair of Beolab 5 speakers to play at matched volume levels when used with a non-B&O source via the S/PDIF or Line inputs, via this Sync cable: http://soundsheavenly.com/beolab-5-and-beolab-90/41--sync-beolab-5-.html

For earlier Beolab 5 versions used with a non-B&O system, you need to ensure that each speaker has line of sight from the remote control to keep the volume levels matched.  For use with a B&O TV or music system, the Powerlink cable provides volume data to each speaker, so the Sync function isn't needed.

Hence, any version of Beolab 5 should work well for your setup.

Kind regards, Steve.

Hello Steve,

I follow your youtube channel.

Meantime, can you please provide us some insight regarding Beolab5 generations and serial number ?

I have these following datas, but they aren't complete for the last versions of Beolab5 (2014, 2015, 2016 ?)

• From serial number 17659943 New Software 1.6
  • From serial number 17772145 you can synchronize 2 BL5's with extra cable and PIN CODE intro
  • From serial number 17910097 New Software 2.6
  • From serial number 18512908 B&O have change the fix system of freats
  • From serial number 19375256 some change (???)
  • From serial number 19900141 B&O has change POWER CORD.
  • From serial number 21221146 New Software 3.00a
  • From serial number 21770424 New Software 3.10a
  • From serial number 21981978 NO Brush in the box

• From serial number xxxxxx new ?

• From serial number xxxxxx ? last version 2016  ?

Any MKs ? MK1, MK2, et....

Thanks for your help
Cheers,

BV10 46" - BL5 to come... BS Ouverture, BC6000, BT1100

Old sold : BV Avant 28", BL8000 - BL4000 - BL2

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,826 Posts
Gold Member

Hi GuyHUI,

Thanks for this information, it is very helpful.  My understanding was that mk.2 speakers are from 199xxxxx when the power cord changed.  The best way forward to not to worry too much about exactly which version you have:-

1) If you have not yet bought them, get the latest ones you can (ideally with new chassis fitted recently)

2) If you already have the speakers, enjoy them!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

RichardIII
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

• From serial number xxxxxx new ?

• From serial number xxxxxx ? last version 2016  ?

I'm looking at 5's with serial numbers 23xxxxxx, these where bought in 2013.

I would also like to know what the serial numbers of the last series are.

GuyHUI
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, FRANCE
1,597 Posts
Bronze Member
GuyHUI replied on Sun, Jun 28 2020 1:34 AM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi GuyHUI,

Thanks for this information, it is very helpful.  My understanding was that mk.2 speakers are from 199xxxxx when the power cord changed.  The best way forward to not to worry too much about exactly which version you have:-

1) If you have not yet bought them, get the latest ones you can (ideally with new chassis fitted recently)

2) If you already have the speakers, enjoy them!

Kind regards, Steve.

Thanks Steve,

In fact I am looking for a Beolab5 from 2014, the seller told me the serial number starts with 219XXXX but it seems 219 is for older version from 2012...  to be confirmed...

Which version (year/ serial) has the new chassis fitted recently ?

Thanks for your help

BV10 46" - BL5 to come... BS Ouverture, BC6000, BT1100

Old sold : BV Avant 28", BL8000 - BL4000 - BL2

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
201 Posts
Bronze Member
Looks like iconic AV have some with new chassis fitted.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL