rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,998 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael posted on Fri, Mar 11 2016 12:57 PM

Has anyone successfully made PL to RJ45 adaptors for use with UTP-cabling? I don't feel like replacing all the cabling in my walls so I am going to try to make adaptors like that this weekend.

All Replies

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,081 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Mike

does this help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYHeNIiq7Rc

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,998 Posts
Bronze Member

Aussie Michael:

Hi Mike

does this help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYHeNIiq7Rc

Unfortunately not. 

I get a lot of audible noise when I use the cabling in my walls (even with a loose cable, but less noise then). I have just tried cables that are unshielded. Since the speakers are Beolab 8000 the shield should not matter since it is not connected in the same way as on ice power-pl cables (mk3).

I am thinking about making a new cable from the avant that does not have a shield, or use the unnecessary pins (I believe they might contain signal noise since they aren't terminated on the Beolab end. If I disable those links all together it might work better) perhaps. The information on these issues are non existent unfortunately.. 

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,375 Posts
Founder

Could you try a pair of B&O RJ45-to-Powerlink cables?

Maybe borrow them from your dealer?

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-6 (Center), Beolab 8000 (Fronts and Rears) and Beolab 2. Screen: Panasonic TX-P65STW60
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab Penta 2 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears) and Beolab 2. Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beovision 10-40 on STB Bracket wall mount masterlinked to Beosound 9000 MK3 on horizontal wall bracket driving Beolab 5000 Speakers
Bedroom: Loewe TV with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all White)
In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
187 Posts
Bronze Member

When using CAT cabling instead of regular powerlink cabling I would suggest to use shielded CAT7 cabling as recommended by B&O.

Unfortunately I am only using RJ45 to Powerlink convertors, not the other way around, so I cannot help you here.

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,998 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Mar 15 2016 12:28 PM

Amazone:

When using CAT cabling instead of regular powerlink cabling I would suggest to use shielded CAT7 cabling as recommended by B&O.

Unfortunately I am only using RJ45 to Powerlink convertors, not the other way around, so I cannot help you here.

I know this is the preferred method but I moved into a place that has all the cables already and actually its usually recommended to _NOT_ use shielded cables in a home environment, and most bigger companies don't use them either nowadays. Shielding introduces a lot of possible problems and power issues for other kinds of equipment. 

My question was just related to cat6 utp which is what I have. If I can get it to work that would be very nice. Otherwise I think I will just add a power link cable to the cable channel in the walls since it is much cheaper (CAT7 cabling is very expensive, and shielded cables are very, very, very hard to pull through the cable channels. A thin power link cable for a pair of BL8000 is much easier to add to the current installation.

Just replacing the one cable would also not be a good idea, if I would replace the Cat6 utp with cat7 cables I would have to replace all of them and I have 14 of them around my apartment.

I think I will try to make the cable with just leads for the pins necessary for Mk1 PL and see how it turns out first. 

Schallertech
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

You could solve with the utp cable? I have the same Problem

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,171 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Schallertech,

I have just replied to your other thread on this topic.  Basically, UTP (unshielded) cables are not suitable for use with Beolab speakers.  If it isn't possible to fit STP (shielded) cables, then thin Powerlink mk.3 cables are probably your best option.  Please feel free to drop me a line via my sponsor link below if you need any help finding the right cables for your system.

Kind regards, Steve/

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL