Steve
Not Ranked
Cape Town
73 Posts
Bronze Member
Steve posted on Fri, Feb 19 2016 6:06 AM

Hi everyone

I need some advice re Beolab speakers:

I have the option of buying a pair of Beolab 8000s, or Beolab 1s at the same price. I have a pair of 6000s already which will move to a bedroom system. 

Now do I go for the 8000s or the Beolab 1s? The Beolab 1s sound quite sharp...

the 8000s in comparison a lot more 'lazy' but they both have their + and -s. thoughts on where I should put my money? Both pairs excellent condition. 

Steve 

All Replies

pf85
Top 500 Contributor
284 Posts
Bronze Member
pf85 replied on Fri, Feb 19 2016 7:17 AM

I have both speakers BL8000 and BL1. 

If size is not an issue, I would go for the BL1, understanding that this speaker "unmasks" poor sources quickly. The BL8000 is a lovely speaker, very warm but does not have the punch and presence of the BL1. 

However, best if you could test both of them at your place. 

graemeben
Top 500 Contributor
132 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi.

Given this choice I'm guessing most people would recommend the Beolab 1. They are obviously much more powerful and should be an all round better speaker. The fact that the price is the same for either they seem to be a bargain. A lot will depend on where you are using them - size of room, furniture, carpet etc.

I have a pair of 8000's (mk2) and am very pleased with them, but only after relocating them in a smaller room where the bass seemed to come alive and be more detailed.  My first choice was a larger room and the bass became lost and quite ' woolly' and forced somehow. The BL1 shouldn't have this problem but a lot of people say they sound quite hard and have a lot of treble. 

For looks I think the BL8000 win, although smaller they are a design icon, no doubt about it.

If you have chance to demo both pairs at home this would be ideal, then your own ears will be the best judge. On paper it should be a BL1 walkover, but given the right location and position I find the 8000 very pleasing to listen to, even at reasonably high volumes.

Let us know which you decide.

G.

smuehli
Top 500 Contributor
Ludwigsburg, Germany
104 Posts
Bronze Member

They're very different - as already said - try to hear them both at home - with your music an decide . . .  .

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Feb 19 2016 1:35 PM

One thing to keep in mind, there were a lot fewer BL1s made compared with the long life/higher production numbers of the BL8000...going forward it'll be easier to repair a pair of BL8000s I'm thinking.

Something to consider.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Feb 19 2016 3:34 PM

Additionally, you should consider pairing either with a BL2, it really does help round out the sound. In fact, if you are planning to purchase a BL2 down the road, and your room isn't too small go for the BL1 speakers, as the BL2 and 1's from all accounts were made for each other.

Don't discount Jeff's point, though about the repairability of the BL8000s due to the higher production numbers. If your room is smallish, the 8000s really can fill it with sound, and are a B&O icon!

pf85
Top 500 Contributor
284 Posts
Bronze Member
pf85 replied on Fri, Feb 19 2016 9:57 PM

Jeff:

One thing to keep in mind, there were a lot fewer BL1s made compared with the long life/higher production numbers of the BL8000...going forward it'll be easier to repair a pair of BL8000s I'm thinking.

Something to consider.

Unless you drive the speakers at high volume, both the BL8000 and BL1 are built like tanks. Even over 10 years old, not a single problem on any of them... Admitted with 3 pairs of BL1 I have some redundancy. But there are many affordable units on the market so that parts supplies should stretch into the future. 

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,569 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Feb 20 2016 7:57 AM

The Beolab 1 sounds "harsh" compared to the more warm sounding Beolab 8000 or even 6000... but for me personally they sound just refreshingly clear, very detailed and simply powerful!

In combination with a powerful enough subwoofer you can listen to live concerts in your room. :-)

I love them for their clear and detailed sound, you can hear and enjoy so much details and they play as if they are relaxing the whole time, even at higher volumes. Depending on the room they definetely need(!) a subwoofer!

I don't care for Beolab 9, Beolab 18, Beolab 20... the only upgrade from my Beolab 1 would be the Beolab 5.

As others said: Try to listen to them with your own music and then decide with your ears. Be sure that all sound adjustments on the Beosound are set to flat (Loudness OFF, High 0, Bass 0) to compare the speakers. I only listen without sound adjustment and the Beolab 1 blowed away the 6000 and the 8000 with ease.

Steve
Not Ranked
Cape Town
73 Posts
Bronze Member
Steve replied on Thu, Mar 3 2016 9:02 PM

Okay, guys - I did it. After much deliberation and consideration I decided to go for the Beolab 1s. Okay, so they're HUGE - I feel like I have two people constantly standing in our lounge against the wall! 

However that aside, I am BLOWN AWAY by these beauties. They have a bit of a boomy bottom end at high volumes, but I cannot believe the detail and sparkle that they carry.. Even at low volumes. And they CAN be turned up LOUD. Sure, a very FORWARD speaker... But damn they grab your attention without you realizing it. They literally sound like they're singing!

I'm glad I took the plunge - the divide amongst the faithful around the Beolab 1s made me think long and hard.. But after listening I just didn't think I wanted another 000 series when these relatively rare BL1s were up for sale 

So the setup then:

Beocenter 9500

Beogram 5005

Beolab 1

Beolink 7000 (with the famous NO CONTACT issue)

Currently resting:

Beomaster 7000

Beomaster 2400

Beogram 4004

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,721 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Mar 4 2016 12:42 PM

Awesome setup, and congrats to the purchase.

I have never listened to the BL1:s, but this post made me curious. Stick out tongue

Its a classic set of gear you have and its really awesome that they still can bring joy to their owners, despite their relative age.

Some pics would be nice Smile

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2, Beoplay Earset

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
798 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Mar 4 2016 7:55 PM

Great choice.  I have both (started with BL8000, added BL2, then got the BL1).  I thought the BL1 was a huge upgrade over BL8000, and could never understand why this forum shows them such little love... although "we" seem to have warmed up them a bit over the last few years (evidence: this thread).

Stan

rxcohen
Top 500 Contributor
New York
201 Posts
Bronze Member

I never understood the lack of love either - I added BL19 last year and made a great combination

BV11-55, BS9000, BL1, BL19, Transmitter 1, Beo4, Beocom 6000, BeoTalk1 200, Sennheiser HD600, McIntosh MHA100

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,986 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Mar 6 2016 5:42 PM

Nothing wrong with Beolab 1s - fine speakers and definitely a step above the Beolab 8000 - the chassis was the basis for that of the Beolab 9. They can sound a little bass light and have the active Beolab issue of sounding quite bright compared with say the powered Penta - I prefer Pentas - but they are an accurate speaker which blends in most rooms despite their size. My wife liked them!

Peter

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,498 Posts
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Mar 6 2016 6:12 PM

Surprised you think this forum showed a lack of love. My impression is that people here generally think the BL1 is fabulous. But benefits from a sub. 

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
798 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Mar 8 2016 12:08 AM

There was a time, perhaps in the mid-2000s, where there were more than a few opinions (or maybe just a few outspoken opinions) on this forum that the BL1s were not good speakers.  The BL1's were "harsh", "metalic", "clinical", "cold", "sharp" and lacked all sorts of bass.  I guess those with these opinions have either moved on or mellowed.  I am perfectly happy to let his history go... 

Yes, they do sound better with a sub (mine are paired with a BL2, another piece with a checkered reputation around these parts), and also "scream" a bit at high volumes, but I really enjoy mine (and my BL2 - just don't follow the instructions that say "put it anywhere"), and find them a big step up from the BL8000s (wait, I already said this). 

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL