Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolab Penta Mk1 Mk2 Mk3. Why do you love them so much? Please share! Tell your story.

This post has 84 Replies | 6 Followers

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member
Thefutureofmusic Posted: Sat, Dec 5 2015 3:06 AM

Hello Fellow Penta lovers and owners,

I am one of the apparently lucky people who own a pair of Beolab-Pentas Mk3. I would love to put up photos but I have no idea how to do it.

This is my second pair of Pentas.

There are so much talk about the Beolab Pentas, good talk that is!

I actually never think I heard anyone say anything bad about them in general. 

All you members here with a BL-Penta setup;

Why do you like(love) them?

Why do you keep them?

Why did you buy them? (New when they came or second hand in recent years)

What would you get instead if you got rid of them for something else?

What is your story behind your BL-Penta passion/interest/appreciation?

Have you sold them, regretted it and bought them again? (like I did)

It seems to me like the Beolab Pentas are some kind of holy grail of B&O.

I read now and then, how some people in different forums, goes completely bonkers and bananaz when they see a pair of nice BL-Pentas for sale on the Bay or another similar place.

Why is this?

I will share my story.

I remembered when I was around middle teens, we made some partys at a friends house.

Her father had B&O throughout the entire house, and in the livingroom was the complete surround setup with BL-Pentas. Front and back.

We blasted the music on ear bending levels and I just thought that, wow these are some cool speakers!

I never gave the Pentas so much more thought after these couple of party events, they were just a part of a brand I already new about and loved.

Some years passed and I bought my first setup which was the Beocenter 2300 together with the Beovox CX100 and the Cona. Loved it!

Sold the CX100 and the Cona after a year or two (which I of course regret now), but I have kept the BC-2300 since then. Still going strong with that one!

The Beolab-8000 has always been there as well, lurking as the most beautiful speaker ever made in my opinion.

Then I fell in love with the Beolab-1. The powerhouse of minimalistic design! Another mind-blowing bullseye in design history.

I had a couple of weak years with Bose in my life. The stereo system with the jewel cubes, all in white.

Don't get me wrong, Bose has some good things to them. Incredibly discreet, a sub that is incredible for movies. But thats about it, a powerful sub and speakers you can't see. And honestly, not really hear either. Because they seem to cut out the entire midrange....

But I lived happy with my jewel cubes which I actually used together with my BC-2300. I had a special cable for controlling the on/off to the sub.

Stopped use that Bose system a long time ago, still have it though. Collecting dust in a box.

Then one day I saw an add for the BL-Pentas in an Ebay similar website. They were a "bit" beaten up, rather much actually. The metal details... Well it did not look so good. Two of the small black feets missing, replaced by screws. A little damaged in the fabric as well.

But sound wise, they were perfect! The woofers, mids and treble, everything in that part was top box The rubber was perfect. Amplifiers as well. 

So I went and bought them. Came home. Almost broke my back getting them up to the second floor...

Connected them to the BC2300, which in turn was connected to my Samsung Smart Tv, started Spotify and put on some of my favourite old school techno.......

And the memories just flooded me!!! Nostalgia galore....

I had totally forgotten the power in them, the smoothness, and just the life they put in the sound!

I enjoyed them for some time. but one of the amplifiers started to act up a bit, and they did look like they had fallen down the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

So I sold them. Thought that, well I got my nostalgic trip, now its time for something else.

I went back to the Bose 3.2.1 system for a while. Same thing there as before. amazing power in the sub, but no control and no capability of delivering voices, so for use with movies, eh nope, not so good...

So I got the Beovision7-32 with the Beolab7.1

And dear good that speaker is nice! I absolutely love it! It plays loud and with power! It does not rumble like the Bose or a B&O subwoofer, but it is really tight and in my opinion perfect for my kind of music. (minimal, techno and jazz. yes I know It is a weird combo). And even though it is not a subwoofer ambience to the

BL-7.1, it god damn it, delivers some kicking bass!

I used the tv and just the BL7.1 for quite some time, and I threw out the Bose as soon as the BL7.1 got in.

So the Beolab7.1 is now my current "center" speaker.

Because.... I recently bought the Beolab-Pentas again...!

I missed them so much and I got a deal I could not refuse.

They are like out of the box in the condition!!! The only bad thing is that at least one mid needs re-foaming. But they still play just as amazing as ever. It is just when I max them that I hear that it starts to dist a little from the left speaker.

But the visual condition is mint. It is like they have been standing inside the boxes.... I don't understand it.

As mentioned earlier, I would love to post pics if someone could be kind enough to tell me how to.

Some time after that i got myself a pair of BL8000s as well. Currently positioned as rears, but since I never cared about surround sound, I am thinking about moving them to the bedroom together with the BC2300, though I do think they need a subwoofer, because they are really thin in the sound. The BL2 wold probably be overkill to have for a bedroom tv and nightly movie watching in the bed. So I am thinking about combining the BL8000 with the BL11.

And as you can read in one of my other threads, I have been thinking about selling the Pentas again, to upgrade to something more modern.

But honestly, after taking the time to write this, and "go through memory lane", I am not so sure that I should sell them again.

Well thats my Story about my Pentas!

They have been in my life on and of since my teens.

Whats your story?

Pictures of your Penta setup?

Beocenter-2300, Beocenter Ouverture, Beolab-2500, Beolab-8000, Beolab-Penta Mk3, Beolab-7.1, Beovision-7, Beovision-6, Remotes. And Feauture Beolab90 owner. The Speakers with the sound of smooth whipped butter made out of diamonds [L]

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,965
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Dec 5 2015 10:49 AM

I have had Pentas since being badly burgled and losing my S75s. I made a bargain with my dealer that if he found a Beosystem 7000, I would buy Pentas. He did, so I did!

System has gradually changed over the years - at present a Beocenter 2 and an old Avant DVD with Penta 3s , Beolab 2 and Beolab 4000s at the rear. Pentas offer great sound, especially when you sit down but to be fair, lack some of the top end detail of say 8000s. The bass is also a bit one note but is improved by the Beolab 2. (Not for music though). Not as good at bass as my M100s. But a very easy to listen to and powerful speaker. Better balanced in my view than any B&O powered speaker other than the Beolab 5. Not planning to change them!

Peter

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

Hey Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to answer :)

Love the Beocenter-2!

Actually looking for one, but have not found any for a good price yet.

Cool as well that you still are going strong with the Avant. What colour?

I really hate that they only have a digital signal in the antenna cable here in the area where I live.

I do not see the point of not  keeping the old analouge signal and just adding the digital to it. But for some reason, they decided to just cut it.

I first noticed this when I bought my BV6-22 some time ago, came home and connected the cable... Searched for channels.... Nothing.

Then I found out that of course, its an old tv that dont support digital signal, and that they totally had cut the analouge one.

The other tvs I used the last years are Smart TVs (Samsung and such) so never thought any of it. But hey, cést la vie!

So you actually have a BL2 together with the Pentas? But this is for movies only then? I would imagine it to be to much using a BL2 for music?

Well, I listen a lot to electronic music, so I can imagine some styles of music that would get a good kick of that intense combination though.

I think I am probably lucky with the acoustics in my livingroom becuase I get huge ammounts of bass from the Pentas. It so much that I now this morning decided to set the subfilter to the minimal level. And to me, they sound much more leveled now.

As well, as always when you are walking around, its different ammounts depending on were you are, And I have the perfect superdeep sublevel sweetspot right at two places.  Namely, exactly were I have my two sofas. So yeah, kinda lucky there for movie watching :D

I use the BV7 as the mediacentre so I complement the pentas with the BL7.1, and I agree with you, without that, they do tend to "fall off" a bit in the higher notes.

I would absolutely need a sub though for my 8000s if I am moving them to the bedroom as tv speakers there.

Beocenter-2300, Beocenter Ouverture, Beolab-2500, Beolab-8000, Beolab-Penta Mk3, Beolab-7.1, Beovision-7, Beovision-6, Remotes. And Feauture Beolab90 owner. The Speakers with the sound of smooth whipped butter made out of diamonds [L]

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,953
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sat, Dec 5 2015 10:19 PM

Hallo Thefutureofmusic

My third set BeoVox Penta since 1987. Still good sound. Just using 2 x 500 watt ICEpower.

Click here.

http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42140&PN=0&TPN=20

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,321
Bronze Member

Peter Pan forgot to mention, that he also has a subwoofer running with the Penta's.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,953
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sat, Dec 5 2015 10:32 PM

Millemissen

I know you love them, but yes they are supleret with a subwoofer.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 901
Bronze Member

I own Beolab 3s with 11, Beolab 8000, 6000, 4000, 5000 and Pentas. To my ears Pentas deliver best sound hands down and look great. 5000s are quite a surprise though and also sound astonishingly good. 6000s and 4000s are rear speakers and 8000s and 3s lack bass.

I think a good pair of Beolab Pentas - in particular for the price they go for - is hard to beat. Great speaker. Would be interested in how a recapped and like new pair of Pentas compares to the Beolab 9.

Greetings,

Kai

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,965
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Dec 6 2015 1:54 PM

Blue Avant - It sometimes changes places with a Beovision 5. I mainly use the BC2 as a DVD player - the DVD in the Avant is on the blink! Therefore the BL2 is in constant use. I have the BM4401 and BG4001 at the other end of the room with M100s.

Peter

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

Hey Peter,

Wow you use the separate ICE amplifiers for the BV-Pentas! With so much more power... How much difference would you say it is?

I could easy go without the display and go for a set like that!

Why three sets? You sold them three times because you wanted to change, and then just missed them every time? Or because you have upgraded and changed parts etc?

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

Hey again Millemissen,

I love subs in general, and I listen to some of that music that really goes well with that kind of power, But I just feel that I sub would risk being to much in my livingroom setup. Of course, if I get one, I would probably be the opposite and be like; how could I do ok without this!

Many years ago I bought the subwoofer Sunfire True Subwoofer 12 inch. It was when it was new and just recently out on the market and Bob Carver was considered to be like the Gandalf of bass :D

I assume that most of the people here knows about it.

It is a monster. Like a true f*&€(ng Godzilla. I had to turn it down to the absolute minimum and it was still so extremely much that the doors, windows and everything rattled. I had a small apartment at that time so it was not so good. Luckily I bought it secondhand from a friend, and he took it back since it was no point for me to use it.

Talking about subs, thats just a fun little extra story. But yeah, thats the most fearsome I ever dealt with when it comes to the subdivision....

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

Hey Kai,

I can imagine that the 11 is a fairly good subwoofer complement? A bit more tight for music, but when combined with the bass in the Pentas as well, it becomes good for movies as well?

I always thought the 5000 looks amazing, but I never had the pleasure to listen to them.I am a bit "mainstream" here, and assume that they don't deliver such intensely impressive bass? But perhaps they surprise?

Agreed about the 8000. They are as thin as can be in the bass department. Especially the Mk1s I have. They are a bit boring to use as they are. But I would love to combine them with the 11 or 19.

Well, like a set like Peter has with the BV-Pentas and 2x500ICE!!!!! I think that kicks a&&. I would LOVE to listen to them!

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

Hey Peter,

Cool classic setup!

I have the opportunity to get the BV5 mk1 for about 150€.

Would you consider that be worth buying? I always loved the look and well, its the nicest tv B&O made, in my opinion. But it is in a way borderline useless when it comes to watching tv, since everything is digital, and even a digital box to convert the signal should still not work so good, since the picture would be so bad due to the resolution.

I was thinking about having it more like a beautiful painting and use it as a center-hub for speakers and use the rca AUX input.

Whats your thoughts?

Mark
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Dec 9 2015 11:26 AM

I run Penta III's with my 7000.

why do I love them.... I find the sound sublime whilst the design compliments the 7000 lines.

why do I keep them.... well apart from the physical size annoying my wife I've just fell in love with them and have a soft spot for speakers that have LED displays.

why did I buy them .... recommended by Matt @ Lifestyle AV, I was looking at 2 different speakers (can't remember which the others were) and these were suggested as best match for my music taste/room set up. 

what would I get instead ... already have BeoLab 5000's which are boxed in storage, again its more about being period with this particular set up.

what is your story behind .... my first venture into B&O and catalyst for my passion, I was blown away with the design, build quality and sound reproduction.

a little while ago I was in my local health food shop enquiring about coconut oil, after a 10 minutes sales pitch from the nice lady about the health benefits of coconut I explained that it was for my speakers, she gave me that look of feeling sorry for my partner. 

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 709
Silver Member
Lee replied on Wed, Dec 9 2015 11:28 AM
Hahaha Mark I had a very similar experience buying coconut oil for my Pentas too Stick out tongue

Thefutureofmusic
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 36
Bronze Member

Mark,

Interesting with the LED-display part. For me that has never really been so special in general. I actually at the moment use the Pentas with Mk3 cables, so I don't even have the displays active.

But yea sure, I can understand why you think it is nice. It is a cool feature.

For me, on of the aesthetically thing with the speakers that mostly impress me is the flat reflective surfaces and how amazing they blend in.

I have them in front of a wall this is almost exactly the same colour as the fabric on the frets (painted the wall before I got the Pentas, so fait!). And with the frets blending in so good and then the metal reflecting the wall. People come in to the room sometimes not even noticing the speakers.

So yea without a doubt, I love how they "take up" the environment around them.

About the coconut oil.... I assume you use that to put on the foam/rubber on the mids?

Never heard about this before.

Fun situation though with the lady in the store Big Smile

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 709
Silver Member
Lee replied on Wed, Dec 9 2015 1:18 PM
No the coconut oil is for polishing the stainless steel. You apply a coat let it dry and then buff it off... Makes them look like new again.
Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Thu, Dec 10 2015 7:37 AM

I have Penta Passives in one place and BL8000 in another - I love the Penta's for their sound quality, build and they are superb value for money - the BL8000's are in a much smaller room and seem to give out more than enough Bass - Penta's were too big for that room but sound great in a large room. I too would love to hear a pair of restored beolab pentas.

Thanks for the tip on the coconut oil - I shall try that tonight

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,953
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Thu, Dec 10 2015 8:26 AM

Hallo Thefutureofmusic

How much difference would you say it is?

With 2 x 500 Watt 4 Ohm is the difference like riding a motorbike instead of moped.  Smile

Why three sets?

My first set BeoVox Penta I bought in 1986. I changed to a new set when grilles so spent out. (Sun)

Greeting Peter Pan.

http://beospain.foroactivo.com/spa/Peter%20Pan

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,953
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Thu, Dec 10 2015 8:37 AM

Shaun.
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Silver Member
Shaun. replied on Thu, Dec 10 2015 3:23 PM
I love the sound and the Great design. ❤️

No need for a subwoofer, my neighbour's think the same...😇

Some love it with ICE Power, and others with the original "Ice Bear"Power❤️

True Love is deep🎶😉

Mark
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Dec 10 2015 5:07 PM

Peter edited one of my Penta pics many moons ago..... It still makes me smile

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 901
Bronze Member

For me, the Penta is a speaker that leaves only litle to be desired. Some argue about the design, but you have to appreciate its classic lines and colors and how they fit perfectly in some (even modern) environments. It's one of my favorite if not even my favorite B&O product. Still very unique today and a strange combination of being classic and modern at the same time. Many have copied the column-type speakers but the Pentas still stick out and continure to look special/unique even today.

Kai

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,953
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Dec 11 2015 3:11 PM

Hallo Mark

Thanks for the picture, which inspires me to make SKY picture. Yes - thumbs up Beer

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,321
Bronze Member

As you see, Mark - the next round's on Peter Pan.

MM

Mark
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Dec 11 2015 8:53 PM
Millemissen:

As you see, Mark - the next round's on Peter Pan.

MM

Yes - thumbs up

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,953
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sat, Dec 12 2015 6:22 AM

BeoLab 150. (1986 - 1988.)

BeoLab 200. (1989 til 1992)

BeoLab 150 and 200 could use to make passive BeoVox Penta for active speaker. 

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,953
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Tue, Dec 22 2015 2:10 PM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,953
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Jan 3 2016 12:47 PM

/ Peter Pan

More Penta stories ? tanks. Yes - thumbs up

Richard Illingworth
Not Ranked
Dublin
Posts 13
Bronze Member

I purchased my first B&O setup back in 1986, the BeoSystem 5500 and had the Red Line speakers. I can't recall the model number, 45 or 60's but they are up in the loft now. After a short while I herd the Penta's (BeoLab Penta Active Loudspeakers)
in my local store and my Music system was complete, well I did also get the Attica furniture to put it all on (I wish I still had this!)

My next purchase was the B&O BeoVision LX5500 & the BeoCord VX5000 VCR. Now all that was left for me to do was to get a Master Link control for the bedroom and hey presto my bachelor pad was complete with automated music all round the house.

I move around the world, Florida and Caribbean, from 1992 to 2006 and left the newly updated BeoSystem 6500 and My Penta's in my parent's safe ish hands. I have now put my roots down in Dublin Ireland and 30 years later I have my trusty Penta's and My BeoSystem 6500 set up with an additional Sonos plugged into the Tap 2 input.

The system still sounds as good as it did 30 years ago and looks miles better than any current audio products, a true testimony to B&O!

I have noticed that one of the Penta's keeps dropping the sound, the green amp loigt stays on but there is no sound, not sure if its a faulty speaker cable, they have gone through 7 or 8 moves while in the care of my Parents.

I still have the Master Link unit, but the TV and VHS were dumped ages ago, I don't know what happened to the Bedroom setup, CX50's and a big white Sub thinggy!

Mindphaser
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 97
Bronze Member

Thefutureofmusic:

Hey Peter,

Cool classic setup!

I have the opportunity to get the BV5 mk1 for about 150€.

Would you consider that be worth buying? I always loved the look and well, its the nicest tv B&O made, in my opinion.

I would LOVE to have a BV5 in my spare house, but that thing is really a monster to move (75 + kg)...and here in Italy it's so difficult to find !

You know, trasnport costs would be WAY more than Tv's price.

At 150 € i would buy 2 or 3 BV 5 :)

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 273
Bronze Member

Are the pentas still a good buy, or are they just outdated?

I know that some of the older gear like the ms 150 is still brilliant.

But what about the Pentas?

Regards Chris

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 273
Bronze Member

Has anyone a frequency chart of the pentas?

Some claim, the pentas sound very laid back and foggy ?

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,953
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, May 20 2018 6:58 PM

Hallo Stereomensch

If a man does not like Penta, it's because the woman in the house does not allow the man to buy them. Big Smile

/ Peter Pan

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,965
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, May 20 2018 8:50 PM

In essence, they are not as bright as the new range - this could be described as veiled but actually makes them very soothing to listen to. If they have a fault , it is with the reproduction of low bass - the notes are not as well defined as with a big woofer and the Pentas make up for this by having a bass boost at around 100Hz. I love mine - had them since new. You have to sit down to listen though as the tweeters are in the middle of the speaker and if standing, they can sound dull.

Peter

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,321
Bronze Member

Peter Pan:

Hallo Stereomensch

If a man does not like Penta, it's because the woman in the house does not allow the man to buy them. 

/ Peter Pan

If so, you still have a change....

....tell her that they can be used as flowers pedestals Big Smile

MM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,953
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Mon, May 21 2018 8:45 AM

Peter:
You have to sit down to listen though as the tweeters are in the middle of the speaker and if standing, they can sound dull.

@ Peter

My bid - So your distance to Penta is too small and the amplifier too weak.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 1,854
Gold Member

Hi everyone,

I also have a pair of Beolab Penta 3 as my main listening speakers, they have a lovely warm tone (ie. rich bass with slightly muted treble) that works well in my view for a range of beat driven music as well as for action movies.  I have them raised on concrete blocks to get the tweeters up to ear level when seated, so they sit approx. 25cm higher than normal - they are on a suspended wooden floor, so this also helps to tighten up the bass response.

Regarding the slightly muted or muffled treble that they can suffer from, I have turned the mid/tweeter panel on one speaker through 180 degrees (this simply unscrews, turns and screws back into place) so that the tweeters of both speakers point inwards towards my listening position - this greatly improves the tonal balance.

I find that using a pair of Beolab 3000 wall mounted speakers with the Pentas for the rear channels also helps, as these are bass-light but they have a clear midrange and treble response.

I can't see my Pentas being replaced with anything other than another pair of Pentas!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,953
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Mon, May 21 2018 11:02 AM

Steve:

Regarding the slightly muted or muffled treble that they can suffer from, I have turned the
mid/tweeter panel on one speaker through 180 degrees (this simply unscrews, turns and
screws back into place) so that the tweeters of both speakers point inwards towards my
listening position - this greatly improves the tonal balance.

Really good idea Steve. Yes - thumbs up

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,034
Bronze Member
I did the same as you, Steve. I rotated the midrange and tweeter-unit 180 degrees. I also made a new gasket from silicone, so they are properly sealed.

I have had 100, 3000, 4000, 6000, 8000, 3, and 2. From all of those I prefer the sound from the Pentas above all. I don’t get tired when I listen to music from them Smile
Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,965
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, May 22 2018 9:58 PM

Peter Pan:

Peter:
You have to sit down to listen though as the tweeters are in the middle of the speaker and if standing, they can sound dull.

@ Peter

My bid - So your distance to Penta is too small and the amplifier too weak.

30' x15' room - used with BC2 and old Beovision Avant and a BL2. Still my favourite speaker made by B&O. Like my BBC LS3/5A and AB1s even more though!

Peter

Page 1 of 3 (85 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL