rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 0 Followers

HC
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
76 Posts
Bronze Member
HC posted on Sun, Nov 8 2015 6:44 PM

I got two second hand BL4000s today to extend my 5.1 setup to 7.1. The BL4000s will work as "back surround" speakers and will be placed behind the sofa on a cabinet (/dresser /bureau), ca 90cm to 1m in height, i.e. appr. the same height as my ear when sitting in the sofa. Distance from speakers to listening position is around 2m.

So, the question is how to place the speakers. I got these nice table stands (see picture below) which places the speakers in an vertical angle. Perhaps they are meant for lower tables or for not sitting down, cause it seems the angle would point the sound over my head?

On the other hand, I could place the speakers on the cabinet without the table stands - but perhaps I would get some unwanted reflections from the cabinet surface unless I place them at the very edge of the cabinet?

Ideally I would prefer the table stands to be able to place them at the back of the cabinet and because it looks nice, but of course I would like the audio experience to be as good as possible. What would you recommend?

All Replies

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,283 Posts
Gold Member

The BL4000's are the complete speaker in my opinion.  I'd keep them on the table stands.  They will fill the space with sound and I don't think you'll get the impression of the sound going over your head.  Try them as you've got them and see what you feel.  You could then try them off-stand and see if you can tell any difference.

I love these speakers and have three pairs of them in constant use.

Dave.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sun, Nov 8 2015 7:44 PM

The table stand angle matches the front face angle of the Beosounds: 2300, 2500, 3000, 3200, 4000 systems.

HC
Not Ranked
Oslo, Norway
76 Posts
Bronze Member
HC replied on Thu, Nov 12 2015 10:50 AM

Thanks! Yes, I noticed that the table stands match the angle of the BS3000 etc. Seems like even the floor stands provide this angle. It just seems a bit strange to me...

The problem with testing is that these speakers are the back surround speakers in my setup, and it's difficult to separate out the sound from the back speakers when testing. I'll try to connect a Playmaker while they are placed where they belong, and  should be able to play some familiar music and do some testing.

I'm still really happy for any thoughts or suggestions, though!

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,301 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Nov 12 2015 5:23 PM
I used 4000s for many years as rears on the stands. I was very happy with the sound.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL