rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 25 Replies | 2 Followers

marcocx
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
marcocx posted on Sat, Oct 31 2015 11:52 AM

Hi everyone,

I've had a chance to listen to a few B&O Beogram turntables, and been wondering if there is any way to use a non B&O cartridge with them? I know B&O uses their own mounting system, are there any adapters or anything available to plug in say a Ortofom 2M Red cartridge?

Regards

Marcocx

All Replies

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,281 Posts
Gold Member

Welcome to Beoworld,

the Beograms and B&O cartridges are optimised for each other.  I'm not aware of an adapter that will universally allow the use of a non-B&O cartridge on Beograms, however, in an old thread, someone did consider using this:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-T4P-PStandard-Adapter on a Beogram 400x series.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/11355/99262.aspx

I don't really see much point in using a non-B&O cartridge on a Beogram.  Tracking force, angle and length of tonearm and cartridge etc will all need to be adjusted to suit.

There are adapters to use B&O cartridges on non-B&O turntables - a half inch adapter.

Dave.

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
364 Posts
Bronze Member

I modified a tonearm with a Ortofon Concorde. But it's not an adapter, this can not be reversed.

Adrian2b4u
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi, I have purchased a TX 2 turntable for dirt cheap. 

I would like to be able to use it , but as usual, the cartridge is missing. An as I dont want to shed 300€ for a cartridge I kindly aa for more information on how you made the modification and what you used for materials , how you calculated the angle  wich wire goes where....and distance from the tone arm to the platter... Etc.

Would you be willing to lend me a helping hand?

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Sep 21 2019 6:52 PM

This has been done, see here:

https://aminaaudio.com/phono.html

I'm of mixed opinions on this. On the one hand it modifies a classic B&O table, but on the other Grado cartridges sound good and are definitely easier to come by and less expensive than B&O ones.

I've got to take some electronics, including my turntable, to him for repair and such, but I am afraid to do so because he usually has 4000 and 8000 series tables he's rebuilt for sale. I'm afraid I might be compelled to buy one to replace my BG3000 tangential!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,911 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Sep 21 2019 7:00 PM

Adrian2b4u:

Hi, I have purchased a TX 2 turntable for dirt cheap. 

Leaving plenty of money within a good condition Beograms value to get a decent cartridge. Great situation!
If you're serious about vinyl get an MMC2/Shibata, you won't regret it.

Martin

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
364 Posts
Bronze Member

Of course, Adrian.

First of all be sure that the tonearm hinge is intact (not flapping around). How have I done this? Strictly speaking, I copied the original position of the pickup. I have several defective pickups to do this. I used a Ortofon Concorde for the modification. You can get several needles for it. Have a look in my profile. I made some pictures of the process. There is a detailed description on this website, https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/16169/139575.aspx#139575

I used copper wires from transformers and liquid metal adhesive (JB Weld)

Adrian2b4u
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member

First. I would like to thank all of you giving me constructive replies.

So nice to see a community that is so active and NICE ! :)

In response to Dillen's post, I am a Audiophile at heart but unfortunately my finacial situation does not allow me to spend lots of cash. ( For me 200 € is a far reach).

I usualy buy older HI FI that need repair or service anf fix them...if possible.

Jeff- thank you - that is a good alternative .

This B&O TX2 is like a " unicorn " for me as I found it at a local market for an bought it for litteraly 5€, and as I can not check if the audio side electronics of the TX2 are OK , I dont want to invest lots of cash to find out that the tone arm has issues or a channel is out or etc.....

Thats why I wanted to try the cheaper alternative. I know I might angry the HI FI purists but I actually have no alternative.

And ProGram, thank you so much for the reply and help , the pictures are a great help. I only need one info. The position of the needle as I understood was off by 3mm (this i can probabli fix ) but I have no way to get a distance measurement between the arm and vinyl disk.

Thank you.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,911 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Sep 22 2019 10:16 AM

Adrian2b4u:

I can not check if the audio side electronics of the TX2 are OK 

There aren't any.

Martin

Adrian2b4u
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member

Oh, ProGram I forgot to ask , what model is the Ortophon Concorde - I cant find the model with straight connectors ....

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
364 Posts
Bronze Member
ProGram replied on Sun, Sep 22 2019 10:32 AM

Don't matter, what Concorde. I think, the element inside is nearly the same. All have straight contacts inside, but only some are with connectors, most are soldered to the SME contacts.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
774 Posts
Bronze Member
I’m not the sort who finds beauty in a Aston Martin that has been chopped up to use a short block Chevy engine, but maybe that sort of atrocity is just an American thing.

I’d save up for a cart rebuild or a new Soundsmith, totally worth it.
ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
364 Posts
Bronze Member
ProGram replied on Wed, Sep 25 2019 12:46 PM
Definitely! Soundsmith is nice, I have the SMMC4 on my 9500. It fits and sounds good, but it had already a faulty suspension after one and a half year. Mr. Ledermann at soundsmith swapped it as a gesture of goodwill. But when it will be necessary to change the cartridge again, I will modify the tonearm.
Adrian2b4u
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi,

I don't want sound like a whiny crying person asking for a handout but like I said my financial situation does not allow me to buy a 300+  Eur cartridge and stylus..... I make 150 Eur a month.

I just want to be able to use the TT... and afford a new stylus in the futrure when the old stylus breaks or givers up.

TY.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,911 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Sep 26 2019 10:49 AM

Just for reference:

MMC4 rebuild or exchange EUR 146
MMC4 rebuilt (sale) EUR 213

These MMC4 are 4-sided (new shape!) eliptical. Better than the original MMC4.

Martin

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL