Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
82 Posts
Bronze Member
Austin posted on Mon, Oct 26 2015 7:22 PM

Hello!

I currently own a pair of BL5s connected to a Playmaker. I am looking to upgrade my non B&O TV to a BV Avant 55". I am wondering what are my options for playing my music to the new Avant/BL5s from iTunes or iPhone. Will the AirPlay streaming from my iPhone/iTunes with an Apple TV be the same sound quality as the Playmaker? Are there other options built into the TV other than Spotify or Deezer? 

Also, does someone know if the new Apple TV (4th gen) will fit on the back on the Avant since it is thicker?

This will be my first B&O TV so I am unsure of what to expect. Any help would be great!

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,050 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Austin,

as far as I remember someone in another thread wrote, that it does not fit.

In the thread: 'New ATV ordered....' you soon will get the exact answer - I guess.

As for airplaying to Playmaker vs to ATV, you could/should do the test yourself.

These things are best tested with your own gear in your own room.

You can connect the Playmaker to the analog multi-connector of the Avant (set the Playmaker to 'fixed line output' and Option 0). There is a cable adapter available for this.

Using the Playmaker this way will make it possible for you to configure (the sound settings of) that input for playing music-only. If you use the ATV it (normally) will have a sound configuration, that is aimed more at sound including video.

See the User Guide of the Avant for how to configure the sound settings per source and the Technical Sound Guide for details.

Usually the ATV is regarded as 'less good' for music. A lot of people use it, though!

Whether you can hear a difference comparing these two devices or if the difference matters to you, only testing will show.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,427 Posts
Bronze Member

Austin:

Hello!

I currently own a pair of BL5s connected to a Playmaker. I am looking to upgrade my non B&O TV to a BV Avant 55". I am wondering what are my options for playing my music to the new Avant/BL5s from iTunes or iPhone. Will the AirPlay streaming from my iPhone/iTunes with an Apple TV be the same sound quality as the Playmaker? Are there other options built into the TV other than Spotify or Deezer? 

Also, does someone know if the new Apple TV (4th gen) will fit on the back on the Avant since it is thicker?

This will be my first B&O TV so I am unsure of what to expect. Any help would be great!

Hi Austin

Great post.

It took me a while to come to the consideration that I should buy a B&O TV, and i'm happy that I did.  

Your options for playing music from iTunes or your iPhone are:

> Airplay from your phone to the apple tv 

> Use your iTunes on your computer and control it from the apple tv

> Use all of your existing purchased music directly from the apple tv

There are 4 music options built in to the Avant:

> Radio which comes via the aerial

> Netradio which comes via the internet and it's very similar to tune in radio - this is the one i use the most

> Deezer which requires premium subscription

> Spotify which requires premium subscription

I think the quality would be the same with the BL5 vs PM combo in that your BL5 will be directly connected to the Avant and you set up the settings for this exact speaker to get the most out of it.  You can assign a special speaker group 

When i purchased the Avant i also purchased the clamper system from STB Brackets with the apple tv attachment.  I specifically wanted the apple tv on the back (as opposed to inside) the Avant because everyone was anticipating an update to the apple tv - mainly at that stage it was predicted to be a 4K apple tv.  I also heard that people had overheating issues with the apple tv inside.  I wrote to STB and they will make the new apple tv adapter , so for me that's an easy swap if i want to upgrade to the new apple tv.

I had a lovely Sony TV, which i still have 2, one in my other room and one in my bedroom, the other one i gave away, but i haven't regretted purchasing the Avant.  I love that its minimal, that i can put peripherals on the back (via the clamper system) which meant i didn't have to purchase another piece of furniture, that it has the inbuilt sound system, and it can be controlled from the one remote with the "my buttons"

The only thing i wished for on the remote is it to be backlit and to have a dedicated record and dedicated mute button.  I don't think you will be sorry if you went down the B&O TV line. 

geert bergmans
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
81 Posts
Bronze Member

@Austin

http://www.cavus.eu/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=962&category_id=222&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=196&lang=en

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 10:07 AM
About AirPlay / Apple TV music scene ... this changes with the arrival of the new ATV as that brings Apple Music to our living rooms

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,427 Posts
Bronze Member
You could even put your music on a usb drive and plug that in the avant and control it from there :-)
Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
82 Posts
Bronze Member
Austin replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 2:27 PM

Excellent response! These are some great options. It sounds like if the sound guilty is similar, I will go the Apple TV route. It has a great interface, easy to stream to and will easily attached to the back.

Making the leap to a B&O TV has been a slow process for me. I find investing in speakers a bit easier since they will always sound great, though TV tech changes all the time. I currently have a projector with stereo BL5s, no surround. The draw of an integrated, one remote, surround system is very appealing, though I will lose screen size by about 30 inches. Just weighing out the pros and cons!

Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
82 Posts
Bronze Member
Austin replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 2:30 PM

How do you do that? Is there a special format? What's the interface like on the Avant in that scenario?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,050 Posts
Bronze Member

Do what???

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
82 Posts
Bronze Member
Austin replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 4:50 PM

Sorry, new to this forum and figuring out how it replies.

How do you set up a hard drive with all your music and what is the interface like on the Avant?

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 5:42 PM

Hi Austin,

There's a really decent guy on this forum in Australia called John. He's using the Apple TV with BL9 and a V1 TV and from reading his postings, he's very pleased with the overall quality.

Best advice would be to try the Apple Tv route and judge for yourself and if you are not happy, then try the other recommendations. Something i'm not going to comment on as it gets very IT messy and it's not a method that I want to play around with! For me, I like everything to work and be headache free and for that iTunes works great along with VIMEO for streaming my surfing & skateboarding movies :)

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 5:50 PM

After reading that you have a projector, I'd stick with that for the time being. The Avant at £7k just isn't worth it as we enter 2016. After seeing LG OLED, there's nothing like it, and that's even from the non 4K model at £1600.

After seeing a large OLED screen, LCD looks very washed out in comparison. LG are betting the screen future on this technology and B&O certainly have some homework to do here. Wait and see. If you're spending £500 on a 4K, OK buy now but £7K is a lot of money for something that is now outdated to a much better screen technology!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 6:04 PM

I apologize if this has already been implied in a previous post, but if you do get a B&O television, another option for music is through HOMEMEDIA. Just download TwonkyServer or another server app, to run on your Mac / PC, and point the application to your iTunes Music folder, or another Music folder. B&O televisions have a pretty good built in DLNA renderers. I often listen to music from multiple computers to speakers connected to my BV11 using HOMEMEDIA source.

CasperI
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Bronze Member

I am surprised that no one suggest the option of product integration with a BeoSound Core.

As i see it, the disadvantages using eg. Apple TV, is that you always must power on the TV manually before starting to stream music.

If you, on the other hand, invested in a BeoSound Core along with the Avant, you will be able to "product integrate" the two, giving you the ability to stream directly from your phone, ipad etc., to your setup and it will turn on automatically. 

At least to me, it is a huge advantage that the setup turns on as soon as i start streaming music to it, instead of having to get the remote first and turn on Apple TV and so on Smile

CasperI
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Bronze Member

OK, i have no idea how this old thread came up on the front page Big Smile

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL