rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 48 Replies | 4 Followers

JD26
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
JD26 posted on Thu, Oct 1 2015 7:50 AM

Hi!

I recently bought a pair of BeoLab 18 speakers. After one month with the BeoLab 18, sometimes the speakers won't connect, red light. Sometimes only one of the speakers are connected. I find the WISA connection a little bit unstable.

BeoLab 18

Sony TV

Transmitter 1 (Airport Express RCA, Sony TV TOSLINK)

I wonder if people find WISA stable?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Luke
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Luke replied on Thu, Oct 1 2015 9:14 PM
Verified by JD26

Hi all, just registered here and thought it was about time to start share stuff and participate in the discussions on this great forum.

I can more or less confirm that the connectivity issues that is reported in this thread are all due to disturbances from wi-fi router communication. Probably from the 5ghz band which is quite close to the bandwidth that WISA is using. I experienced the same with my setup and the solution is very simple. Configure your router (both 2.4ghz and 5ghz) to a fixed channel instead of using the default that is "automatic" I for instance choose channel 11 for 2.4ghz and 44 for 5ghz. I experienced A LOT of drop-outs when I installed my setup and I also initially blaimed the WISA. But since the above change/config was mad I haven't experienced one single drop-out and have been running flawless the last couple of months.

The main problem was i my living room where I have the following setup:

- Beovision 11
- 4 x Beolab 18
- Beolab 19

All connected through WISA via the built in module in the BV 11

So all of you that encounter problems - try the above and I would bet it fixes the problem. Try different channels also and focus on the 5ghz band. Could be worth mentioning that I'm running Time Capsule and Airport Extreem that extends my wifi. But should be the same for all routers

Cheers,
Lukas 

JD26
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) JD26 replied on Sat, Oct 3 2015 10:55 AM
Verified by JD26

I tried with fixed channels, but the problem is still there. I haven't tried with all the different channels, but I have decided to use cables. The Bang & Olufsen Store suggested using the BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub. It fits my needs, and it will most likely not cause any connection trouble.

In other words, WISA is not stable in my opinion. Hopefully this will change in the future.

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,114 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by JoostdenEngelsman

JoostdenEngelsman:

My dealer blames the 5ghz band on my router (Apple Extreme) which cannot be switched off, causing interference with the WiSA connection. Does anyone have a solution for this (other than switching to wires)?

I have experimented the AE in the same area as my Moment, BL 18 & 19 ..... not good at all, event after testing several channel combinations. I move ithe AE  to another area of my house and installed a Linksys WAP300N as it only services 2.4Ghz.

BS Moment, BS Core, BS Ouverture, BG 4002, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

All Replies

Sibbi
Not Ranked
62 Posts
Bronze Member
Sibbi replied on Thu, Oct 1 2015 5:36 PM

flashing - not bleenking ( english is not my first or second language).

JD26
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
JD26 replied on Thu, Oct 1 2015 5:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like WISA is not as stable as i thought. It's very frustrating taking the power cable in and out every day.

What should I do? I want to have my TV and AirPort Express (AirPlay) connected. Should I connect the BeoLab 18's with Power Link to Transmitter 1?

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,114 Posts
Gold Member
I have BL18/BL19 speakers and I have had the same symptoms with the TR1.

I seriously reduced the issue by placing the devices differently (as mentioned already in this thread) but also by shutting down my 5ghz WiFi.

I now have a moment and Wisa connectivity is much more stronger

BS Moment, BS Core, BS Ouverture, BG 4002, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Luke
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Luke replied on Thu, Oct 1 2015 9:14 PM
Verified by JD26

Hi all, just registered here and thought it was about time to start share stuff and participate in the discussions on this great forum.

I can more or less confirm that the connectivity issues that is reported in this thread are all due to disturbances from wi-fi router communication. Probably from the 5ghz band which is quite close to the bandwidth that WISA is using. I experienced the same with my setup and the solution is very simple. Configure your router (both 2.4ghz and 5ghz) to a fixed channel instead of using the default that is "automatic" I for instance choose channel 11 for 2.4ghz and 44 for 5ghz. I experienced A LOT of drop-outs when I installed my setup and I also initially blaimed the WISA. But since the above change/config was mad I haven't experienced one single drop-out and have been running flawless the last couple of months.

- Beovision 11
- 4 x Beolab 18
- Beolab 19

So all of you that encounter problems - try the above and I would bet it fixes the problem. Try different channels also and focus on the 5ghz band. Could be worth mentioning that I'm running Time Capsule and Airport Extreem that extends my wifi. But should be the same for all routers

Cheers,
Lukas 

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
961 Posts
Bronze Member
Luke:

- Beovision 11 - 4 x Beolab 18 - Beolab 19

Cheers, Lukas

Thanks Luke for a great post

trouble is 5ghz is going to become more and more congested

if your are doing a DIY install then WISA seems a nice idea

Dealer/pro installs should NEVER EVER be WISA as drop out free cannot be guaranteed
JD26
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
JD26 replied on Thu, Oct 1 2015 9:57 PM

Thanks Lukas, I'm running Time Capsule, and have now changed to fixed channels. My AirPort Express is not in Network Mode. My only concern is my neighbors' network, as i can see through Wireless Diagnostics Scan several 5GHz and 2.4 GHz networks.

I will try to see if this solves the problem.

Luke
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member
Luke replied on Thu, Oct 1 2015 10:06 PM

StUrrock:
Luke:

- Beovision 11 - 4 x Beolab 18 - Beolab 19

Cheers, Lukas

Thanks Luke for a great post

trouble is 5ghz is going to become more and more congested

if your are doing a DIY install then WISA seems a nice idea

Dealer/pro installs should NEVER EVER be WISA as drop out free cannot be guaranteed

Thats perfectly true. And thats probably why it's still possible to use all the cable connectivity options in all the WISA equiped products like BL 18 etc.

I live in a very congested area with lot's of wifi-networks appearing when scanning the area and for me this solved the problem 100% since I've been running this setup now for 4 months or something and haven't experienced one single drop-out. One happy owner :)

Luke
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member
Luke replied on Thu, Oct 1 2015 10:08 PM

JD26:

Thanks Lukas, I'm running Time Capsule, and have now changed to fixed channels. My AirPort Express is not in Network Mode. My only concern is my neighbors' network, as i can see through Wireless Diagnostics Scan several 5GHz and 2.4 GHz networks.

I will try to see if this solves the problem.

No problem. Happy to help! I also have a lot of networks in my neighbourhood and for me it solved the problem perfectly. Hope it does for you as well!

rxcohen
Top 500 Contributor
New York
194 Posts
Bronze Member

This answers problems I have been having - except I have been losing my wifi connection from time to time instead of the WISA connection to the BL19. 

BV11-55, BS9000, BL1, BL19, Transmitter 1, Beo4, Beocom 6000, BeoTalk1 200, Sennheiser HD600, McIntosh MHA100

JD26
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) JD26 replied on Sat, Oct 3 2015 10:55 AM
Verified by JD26

I tried with fixed channels, but the problem is still there. I haven't tried with all the different channels, but I have decided to use cables. The Bang & Olufsen Store suggested using the BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub. It fits my needs, and it will most likely not cause any connection trouble.

In other words, WISA is not stable in my opinion. Hopefully this will change in the future.

MircoHH
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
232 Posts
Bronze Member
MircoHH replied on Mon, Nov 30 2015 10:46 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the answer. But I don't have the transmitter. I use the Avant 55.

Greetings,

Mirco
JoostdenEngelsman
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member

Did you find a solution yet? I have a Moment and two Beolabs 18 one of which is connected wirelessly because of its position in the living room. When starting the system often the wireless Beolab doesn't work; sometimes you can see it struggling going from red to green and back to red and so on. Unplugging from mains or rescanning and locating does the trick. I haven't experienced drop outs while the system is working. My dealer blames the 5ghz band on my router (Apple Extreme) which cannot be switched off, causing interference with the WiSA connection. Does anyone have a solution for this (other than switching to wires)?

My dealer also suggested that the problem could be resolved by eg buying an Avant as - according to him - the WiSA transmitter is located "higher" in the Avant as a result of which the problem should go away...concerned this is just a way to sell me an Avant..

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,114 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by JoostdenEngelsman

JoostdenEngelsman:

My dealer blames the 5ghz band on my router (Apple Extreme) which cannot be switched off, causing interference with the WiSA connection. Does anyone have a solution for this (other than switching to wires)?

I have experimented the AE in the same area as my Moment, BL 18 & 19 ..... not good at all, event after testing several channel combinations. I move ithe AE  to another area of my house and installed a Linksys WAP300N as it only services 2.4Ghz.

JoostdenEngelsman
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks. That would give me a lot of headache though as the Apple Extreme is my primary router connecting various Airports Express and via Devolo other Beo equipment... This would mean changing my entire home network.. Hope there is another solution out there or that it gets fixed through an update of the WiSA connectivity...

JoostdenEngelsman
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member

Moreover, I have never experienced drops outs while playing. It's only when getting started that I experience WiSA connectivity problems. Strange, right? In addition, I didn't have any WiSA problems until the large update in October of last year...

Page 2 of 4 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL