rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 0 Followers

Bv7Mk3
Top 150 Contributor
uk
Posts 781
Bronze Member
Bv7Mk3 Posted: Sat, Jul 25 2015 7:29 PM

Christmas 2015 is going to be exciting for 4k. 

http://www.insideci.co.uk/articles/interview-4k-uhd-blu-ray-primed-and-ready.aspx

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,643
Bronze Member

I've said that right from the start, when the idea of the UHD BluRay was announced.

By the way - this article is already 4 weeks old.

Now all we need is a new HDR compatible B&O tv ;-)))

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Bv7Mk3
Top 150 Contributor
uk
Posts 781
Bronze Member
Bv7Mk3 replied on Sat, Jul 25 2015 8:10 PM

That's  why I asked about a Avant Mk 2 and I have had no Internet for two weeks lol.

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Jul 25 2015 8:51 PM

Hi BV7,

Thank you for posting. A VERY interesting read! I wonder who will buy it though? Also very interesting about the 21:9 ratio TVs from Samsung & LG! And very interesting that 4K Blu-Ray has no intentions of supporting it. Could it be dead before it even launches?

Nice article!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,643
Bronze Member

The 21:9: yes.

The UHD Bluray: no.

MM

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Jul 25 2015 10:56 PM

Maybe the other way round MM - if both Samsung and LG are making 21:9 panels that's got to mean something big I guess. I'm not convinced that they'll be a real market for 4K Blu-Ray. Buying discs in 2016? Are there enough home cinema people out there to support it? We shall see...

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Jul 25 2015 10:58 PM

PS I've just seen a video on the BANG&OLUFSEN Facebook page advertising its creative school and there's what looks like a white prototype B&O PLAY branded sound bar on it!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,643
Bronze Member

Paul W:

Maybe the other way round MM - if both Samsung and LG are making 21:9 panels that's got to mean something big I guess. I'm not convinced that they'll be a real market for 4K Blu-Ray. Buying discs in 2016? Are there enough home cinema people out there to support it? We shall see...

Hardly any 21:9 material outthere - looks kind of funny with 16:9 content.

But they do want to sell us new displays/tv's - that is how they make thier money.

If you want high/est quality picture and sound, you will need the UHD Blu-ray.

If not - be happy with less.

MM

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,473
Founder
kallasr replied on Sat, Jul 25 2015 11:49 PM
Just zapped through Sky cinema channels, everything is 21:9...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/21:9_aspect_ratio

Ralf

PS: the free tv channels in Germany choose to broadcast in 16:9 and cut off the sides....a lot of times.

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab Penta 2 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears) and Beolab 2. Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beovision 10-40 on STB Bracket wall mount. Beosound 9000 MK3 on horizontal wall bracket driving Beolab 5000 Speakers
Bedroom: Loewe TV with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)
In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

Martin
Not Ranked
Sweden, Skövde
Posts 59
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Sun, Jul 26 2015 1:20 AM

The format 21:9 seems like a fun idea until we get the epidemic burn in problems with it; that plus in 16:9 showing 21:9 the format uses the lower part of the screen for texting so that it doesn't have to clutter up the film with letters that hides the film you want to look at. 

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,473
Founder
kallasr replied on Sun, Jul 26 2015 1:44 AM
Well, LCD/LED should not have burn in issues.

If you look at movie formats for cinema they are all 21:9 (at least 80%)... Not 16:9 originally - this was just done for TV.

16:9 already is/was a big improvement over 4:3 but 21:9 comes closest to the real thing (original recording), I suppose.

We will see within 2 years what will be the outcome, I can wait a little longer (for UHD as well 😏).

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab Penta 2 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears) and Beolab 2. Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beovision 10-40 on STB Bracket wall mount. Beosound 9000 MK3 on horizontal wall bracket driving Beolab 5000 Speakers
Bedroom: Loewe TV with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)
In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sun, Jul 26 2015 8:53 AM
All brands launches new TVs every year with features nobody needs at all. Because they know customers are stupid but they have some money to spent.

3D, 4K, curved panels, huge screens that only fits in gymnasiums but not in livingrooms and now 21:9 panels. After this total curved screens with 360 degrees will come so the screen will be all around you for the best viewing experience ever.Stick out tongue

My BV 7 has 3D but I never used it. I will buy a 4K TV when most freeview channels in Germany send 4K and I doubt this will ever happen; many channels are still SD and not HD.

Would you buy a car that needs fuel you can't get on this planet?

If you buy a modern TV nowadays you can adjust nearly everything in the setup menues, colour temperature, gamma curves and so on. But features that make life easier are not available or sorted out. E.g. I use the timer with my BV 7 every day as buzzer in the morning, but B&O had sorted out this feature and I don't know a TV with a simple timer.

Regards

Räuber
Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,168
Bronze Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Jul 26 2015 8:57 AM

Raeuber:
Would you buy a car that needs fuel you can't get on this planet?

the Delorean of BttF

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jul 26 2015 10:39 AM
Raeuber:

All brands launches new TVs every year with features nobody needs at all.

I spent some time in the Sunday mall walk watching an LG OLED curved 55" and I was very impressed with its blacks

However my wife thought the picture was harsh -- too sharp

BeoNut since '75

Bv7Mk3
Top 150 Contributor
uk
Posts 781
Bronze Member
Bv7Mk3 replied on Sun, Jul 26 2015 10:40 AM
21-9 tv used by Phillips (which I have seen and so much easer to watch) but most in usa! Lg and Asus,Aoc,Samsung all have 21-9 pc monitors for sale which you can buy here!
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,441
Gold Member
elephant:

I spent some time in the Sunday mall walk watching an LG OLED curved 55" and I was very impressed with its blacks

However my wife thought the picture was harsh -- too sharp BeoNut since '75

It was probably in a shop harsh setting!

Beovision 11-55, Beolab 2, Beosound 2(old Skool) Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jul 26 2015 11:09 AM
Chris Townsend:

elephant:

However my wife thought the picture was harsh -- too sharp BeoNut

It was probably in a shop harsh setting!.

Possibly - however she was comparing to a range of LCDs around it - both samesong and LG - and we both agreed they had softness (and imho a greyness) about them

BeoNut since '75

Playdrv4me
Top 150 Contributor
USA
Posts 477
Bronze Member

UHD Bluray is kind of a compromise solution in my opinion. There is still no easily viable way to get UHD content to *most* households efficiently via streaming, cable or satellite. So yes, for the time being it will be 1996 all over again with those round shiny things being the main source of program delivery, but within 2 years all of the delivery problems should be mostly sorted as new efficient codecs come along to help ease the overhead of UHD. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,643
Bronze Member

Playdrv4me:

but within 2 years all of the delivery problems should be mostly sorted as new efficient codecs come along to help ease the overhead of UHD. 

I do not agree with your estimate of 2 years.

Just think of the massive internet speed problems, that a lot of people still have.

The 4K material delievered today through streaming suffers from heavy compression - and when/if the tv stations starts to broadcast (HEVC encoded) UHD programs, they most certainly will be 'paid for services', probably sports events.

Even if there will be a UHD movie channel, it won't be cheap and you'll have to pay for a lot of stuff/crap, that you don't want.

I am sure, that the 'small round disc' will be around for some time.

And I have no problems with that - especially because it gives me the best picture AND sound quality possible.

MM

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,492
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Mon, Jul 27 2015 5:52 AM

Millemissen:
And I have no problems with that - especially because it gives me the best picture AND sound quality possible.

I agree, theres nothing like planning a night in with a good movie. We have fiber here but I could not be bothered subscribing to some of these pricy sources.  I am in Dublin for a few weeks so I went to get a few beers movie and fish and chips last week end.

The video rental shop is gone ! I asked about it in the chipper and he replied "everybody downloads these days" in a what planet are you living on tone.

When I explained to him that without a video store I get beer and chips in walking (much nearer) distance from my house he actually froze for a minute.

In 7 months since I was last here the amount of retail shops being replaced by "mediocre" coffee shops is staggering.

Perhaps its time  to go back to the cinema.

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Jul 27 2015 11:03 AM

Valve1 Netflix is not pricey, it's £6 a month! :) compare that to an old fashion system like Sly who charge their fools £70 a month just to watch their channels full of adverts and sponsorship. Crazy!

I don't miss video rental shops as they never had the movies in stock that I wanted, they were always out on loan. I'd never want to go back to those days. Being able to download a movie in HD to rent or buy from say Vimeo or iTunes is purely wonderful :)

Playdrv4me
Top 150 Contributor
USA
Posts 477
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Playdrv4me:

but within 2 years all of the delivery problems should be mostly sorted as new efficient codecs come along to help ease the overhead of UHD. 

I do not agree with your estimate of 2 years.

Just think of the massive internet speed problems, that a lot of people still have.

The 4K material delievered today through streaming suffers from heavy compression - and when/if the tv stations starts to broadcast (HEVC encoded) UHD programs, they most certainly will be 'paid for services', probably sports events.

Even if there will be a UHD movie channel, it won't be cheap and you'll have to pay for a lot of stuff/crap, that you don't want.

I am sure, that the 'small round disc' will be around for some time.

MM

It's possible that you're right. It doesn't much matter to me as I watch all my movies at the cinema anyway. I have a card called MoviePass here in the US which allows me to view 1 movie per day of my choosing for a flat fee of 30.00 per month (it's quite a losing proposition for them with heavy users like me considering EACH movie I see is about 10.00 a showing and I typically go 2 or 3 days a week... I see EVERY new film). I actually enjoy the experience of going, even by myself, to sitting at home and watching. I considered getting a Sony XBR65X950B recently, but realized it would be wasted on 720 and 1080 cable programs. 

But on the flip side of the argument, all of these TV manufacturers aching to squeeze out the tiniest of profits on all their new 4K TV sets, are doing everything they possibly can working with content providers and the movie industry to speed along the adoption of viable 4K delivery formats to justify the cost of these new TVs. There is nothing wrong with the shiny things, but that doesn't mean that 24 months is an unrealistic expectation to start seeing more readily available UHD content via streams and fiber and RF cable providers. 

gabriel
Not Ranked
Norway
Posts 42
Bronze Member
gabriel replied on Thu, Jul 30 2015 11:09 PM

I just moved to a new flat, so had a B&O guy installing my system. He told me that on a AV gathering people that had seen 4K tv's from other brands like samsung, sony.. When they came to the B&O stand and saw the picture quality on the BV 11, they thought it was 4k.

Beovision 7-55" 3D, Beosound 5, Beolab 9, Beolab 8000, Beovision 6, Beo 6, Beoremote one, H8, H2.

gabriel
Not Ranked
Norway
Posts 42
Bronze Member
gabriel replied on Thu, Jul 30 2015 11:09 PM

I just moved to a new flat, so had a B&O guy installing my system. He told me that on a AV gathering people that had seen 4K tv's from other brands like samsung, sony.. When they came to the B&O stand and saw the picture quality on the BV 11, they thought it was 4k.

Beovision 7-55" 3D, Beosound 5, Beolab 9, Beolab 8000, Beovision 6, Beo 6, Beoremote one, H8, H2.

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL