rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 38 Replies | 6 Followers

larseny
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member
larseny posted on Fri, Jul 10 2015 11:28 AM

Hi.

I have a pair of Beolab 8000 speakers connected through a Beolab 2 to my Beosound 5 Encore.

One of the speakers suddenly started dropping out, and when doing so the LEd light turned orange. After a few power off and on and disconnecting power, it went back to working, only to next time do the same.

Now however, it only displays red light in standby and green light when turned on, however NO SOUND!

I thought when green light is on, all is OK, but obviously green light can be on and no sound comes out. I have switched back and forth on cables etc, so I know both outputs on the Beolab 2 are OK, so it is definitely the 8000 that's got a problem.

Any syggestions anyone? Fuses or something else.

This part of the world (UAE) is not the best to get these speakers fixed but if push comes to shove I will pack in my car and drive to Dubai to the dealer.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

marc
Top 500 Contributor
netherlands
78 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) marc replied on Mon, Jul 3 2017 9:19 AM
Verified by frog

I had the same problem a few weeks ago,'

When red and green LED work and no sound, the relais that powers the amp is not working, on 2 occasions the print traces on the bottom of the supply print where corroded of the print due to foamrot, soldered 2 wires to the relais instead of the traces and all was well!

(and replaced the foam!!!!)

All Replies

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,389 Posts
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Fri, Jul 10 2015 12:15 PM

Foamrot.

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
251 Posts
Bronze Member

I don't think it will be foam rot. More likely to be power supply or amp module. Will need to go to a service centre though...

larseny
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Agreed, foamrot doesn't behave as this does.

Guess it is a trip to the B&O service center.......

Thanks.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,587 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Jul 11 2015 8:01 AM

I agree on the foamrot.
The foam in question is not the speaker surrounds, though.
In Beolab 8000 foam is used around cables and circuit boards for anti-rattling and sealing purposes.
Unfortunately, airs moisture attacks and breaks down the foam, which turns acidic and eats
away at copper traces on the circuit boards.

Usually repairable.

Martin

larseny
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks all. I ended up getting hold of a B&O service tech, so took it to him last evening and will see what he can do.

I thought however when circuits, transformer or power supply goes, the status light would not go from Red to Green. When however it does this, I cannot actually hear the relay turning the speaker on.

Guess I'll get one fixed and the other will go shortly thereafter. Big Smile

Let's see.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,265 Posts
Bronze Member
If you can report back to us what the tech says the problem is - it may help others with a similar problem in the future. Dave.
larseny
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member
larseny replied on Sun, Jul 12 2015 10:30 AM

Will do, let's see if he is any good. In this part of the world I don't have the highest expectations as the quality of tech's in general is somewhat dubious, and then again sometimes surprisingly good, it's a toss of the coin.

I'll hopefully get a call in the next few days with the diagnose, and will post the diagnostics.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,389 Posts
Founder

larseny:

Agreed, foamrot doesn't behave as this does.

Guess it is a trip to the B&O service center.......

Thanks.

Sorry for the short answer.

Dillen explained it more clearly.

But as I've already had 30+ sets for repair, I recognize the symptoms. I even get the customers who are re-directed (or with highly given posprositions) by B&O service centers..

Depending on the amount of damage caused by the foam, repair is mostly the solution. Replacing the complete amplifier or powersupply section, will result in a pricely invoice.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
891 Posts
Gold Member

I'm curious, did B&O change the foam they used at some stage to prevent this issue or is it simply a matter of time before any BL8000 is affected? I dismantled one of my BL8000s last year and the foam seals all looked to be in good condition but perhaps that was just because they are not as old as some.

If this issue is innevitable with time, I'm just wondering whether it might be worth me applying a laquer to the PCBs to help protect them from ths issue in the future?

Martin.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,587 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jul 12 2015 2:08 PM

Beobuddy:

... I even get the customers who are re-directed (or with highly given posprositions) by B&O service centers..

Wink

I don't know if they changed the foam during production, I don't think so, but I can tell you, that
there's a mess inside your speakers now. Particularly in the lower areas where the amplifier, power supply, relais etc. lives and
where cables come in.
It's all a black and sticky mess. I use disposable rubber gloves...

Martin

larseny
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Sounds like a good old "oops" from B&O's design department............would have thought they had fixed it by now, but mine are older speakers so I am expecting the worst (but hoping the best) and as I said earlier, assume once one is fixed the second will go shortly thereafter.

TTAli
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
TTAli replied on Mon, Jul 27 2015 1:41 AM

Hi, I have got a pair of Beolab 8000, One is dead, the LED does not come on. After opening it I found the foam as you described, sticky and very dirty. I have cleaned it and started to check what could be wrong. Anyway my question is can the foam be purchased anywhere? for replacement? and do I need it?

Thanks

larseny
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

OK, speaker fixed by local tech, solder points corroded and IC board shorted out (obviously due to age and possible foam rot deposited on board). Not cheap, but not too bad. About $150 and it is back in business.

waterlander2004
Top 500 Contributor
76 Posts
Founder
Had the same problem with one of my Beolab800s. Old 'liquified' foam had eaten away a copper track near the side of the PCB. After fixing this, I ordered new foam packages at the local B&O dealer. Worked like a dream (after cleaning up the old mess of course) and was not expensive. Both Beolabs play wonderfully and are ready for hopefully a long period of use again.
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL