Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Getting Beosystem 5500 components working

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 62 Replies | 2 Followers

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member
sonavor posted on Fri, Jul 3 2015 11:47 PM

I have been collecting various Beosystem 5000 and 5500 components over the last few years when they would show up for sale with low values. One of my goals this year was to spend some time and get a working 5500 system so I thought now would be a good time.

So far I have a Beomaster 5500 recapped and working well. I also have a CD5500 that only required a belt change and a Beogram 5000 that I had to change out the transformer and fix the usual deck lid latch.
The Beocord 5500 is on my bench now but it looks like it will need a part or a repair of a part.

Here is the restored system so far. It looks nice on my SC60 cabinet and with a pair of RL140 speakers.

UPDATED...


 

All Replies

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

I worked on the Beomaster 5500 first. This is what it looked like first opened up.  It was in good shape and worked moderately well but it didn't seem like it sounded as good as I expected it to so I decided to do recap it.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

The tuner board tilts up nicely for access so I recapped that one first.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

There wasn't anything eventful on this recap.  It was just a straightforward desoldering of old parts and soldering in of new parts.  The tricky parts were figuring out how to dismantle the Beomaster.  To do the rest of the boards I removed them all from the chassis.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

Removing the boards also allowed me to clean any dust out of the Beomaster chassis.
I didn't remove the Beomaster display board at the very front. It is working fine so I didn't mess with it.  I also didn't replace to two big 10,000uF power  supply capacitors. I measured them though and they measured just over 11,000uF.  On the microcomputer board I replaced two electrolytic capacitors and put in a new Lithium battery.  For the audio input board and preamp I used Nichicon Muse Bipolar capacitors for all of the replacements in the signal path. Here are the removed boards after the recap.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

After the reinstall of the boards I powered up the BM5500 and checked the cold start idle current. It was a little difficult to get the left and right channels adjusted to 11mV (across the output resistors) per the service manual.  I decided that I had better replace the two (L & R) 100 ohm trim pots with some new ones. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of that part of the process but I was able to easily set the left and right idle to 11mV after the trimmer replacements.  Here is a picture of the recapped Beomaster ready to be closed up.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

The CD 5500 was a simple repair.  Its CD tray was acting flaky so it needed a new belt. I had ordered replacement belts from Martin a while back so they were waiting to be used.
Here is the CD 5500 opened up.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

This picture shows the plastic tab to press to release the big pulley with the tray belt.
Once that belt was changed the CD 5500 worked great.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

The next system component was the Beogram 5000.  I have thought about getting a Beogram 5500 several times but I have plenty of tangential B&O turntables and I liked the looks of this Beogram 5000.  I have two of these turntables. One has some broken internals and I got it cheap for parts. The other one was supposed to be a working turntable but was set for European line voltage (240 V).  So I needed to rework the power supply wiring to get it to work on my 125V line voltage.  The easiest way to do this was to take the transformer out of my parts unit and put it in the good turntable.
Here is a picture showing the transformer wiring differences between the 240V and 120V models.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

Here is the 120V transformer installed in my good Beogram 5000 turntable.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

Now I was able to power up the Beogram 5000.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

A speed check with my tachometer passed and I balanced the tonearm for an MMC2 cartridge.  Here is the test spin.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

That just left the typical Beogram 5000 problem of the lid latch.  I re-glued the catch to the lid using some glue specifically for gluing plastic to plastic. It dries in 30 seconds and the latch works perfect now.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

The last component is the Beocord 5500.  I can't remember how long I've had this unit.  I know it has some problems working so I suspected a belt (although it turns out I don't have a new belt for this yet...have to remember to order one from Martin).

Here is the BC5500 opened up.


sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,717 Posts
OFFLINE
Gold Member

Here is the main board tilted up in service position so I can get to the cassette mechanism.


Page 1 of 5 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL