rated by 0 users
This post has 164 Replies | 5 Followers

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Jul 3 2015 2:18 PM

The guys did in a different thread ;) ;) ;) 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,477
Bronze Member

Paul W:

The guys did in a different thread ;) ;) ;) 

As far as I am concerned, there is talk about a 'new' tv.

i am not sure that this involves 'replacement' of the V1.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 818
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Fri, Jul 3 2015 6:03 PM

Hi, yes I connected the ATV to a BV8 with an HDMI splitter, one goes to the HDMI the other via an HDMI to Video converter to the corresponding SCART socket - on the BV8 it works really well as I have HDMI on that and the links TVs both BV6's give a good enough picture for the bedroom and kitchen (well for me anyway as I fall asleep after ten minutes!). I could connect another through a converter. If I had HD TV's in the other rooms then possibly go for an ATV on each set. The sound I can distribute to all of them and speakers via the BL converter and DAC which is connected optically to the ATV. It's a good way of using up the old equipment and the iPhone and iPad can't distribute to multiple ATVs at the moment - so that gets over that hurdle. Friends that come round are quite impressed as it is so easy to operate. 

Having said all that I live on my own so being able to access just one Apple TV is enough and more bout sending the same picture and sound all over the house - which was one of things I first loved about B&O and still do.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Fri, Jul 3 2015 6:26 PM
Hi Andrew,

absolutely a fine solution if you have 'only' BV 6 with small screen in linkrooms, then SD is enough.

BTW: If you want to airplay to multiple Apple TVs with an IPhone/IPad you can try the WHAALE App.

Räuber
Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 818
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Mon, Jul 6 2015 10:13 AM

hi Rauber - thanks, actually I'll give that a go as it could potentially mean a seperate ATV on each TV and one linked to the others via the main set.

Bane
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
Bane replied on Mon, Jul 13 2015 4:22 PM

hey guess you have a valid point there. I was fighting a long time to keep my music independent from services and I still own most of my music selection saved on hard disc but even I have to admit that streaming is gaining importance a lot. And with a diversified market of many providers integration of music streaming services is becoming more and more important.

Only possibility to keep it simple is to keep on recording songs from the streaming services to make your own selection independent. I even tried it with apple music and it was working kind of easy with this Apple Music Recorder but in the future mostly all music will be spread through the systems. Don't know if I like this development or not.

Cheers

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,262
Gold Member
Duels replied on Mon, Jul 13 2015 5:09 PM
Is recording streamed music really legal?
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 1,894
Bronze Member
Bane:

hey guess you have a valid point there. I was fighting a long time to keep my music independent from services and I still own most of my music selection saved on hard disc but even I have to admit that streaming is gaining importance a lot. And with a diversified market of many providers integration of music streaming services is becoming more and more important.

Only possibility to keep it simple is to keep on recording songs from the streaming services to make your own selection independent. I even tried it with apple music and it was working kind of easy with this Apple Music Recorder but in the future mostly all music will be spread through the systems. Don't know if I like this development or not.

Cheers

Just go back to pirating?

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,560
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Jul 13 2015 5:47 PM

Back in the day there was a fee tacked onto each blank cassette tape, and maybe other kinds as well, I don't know, that was allegedly to reimburse the recording studios for loss of revenue from recording off albums or radio, etc. This was even applied to blank CDs for CD recorders, regular CD-Rs wouldn't work, they had to have a specific header on them that was recognized by the recorder, and naturally they were more expensive, On some Philips recorders the hot tip was to put in a Music CDR, let it run enough to recognize the disc as proper, then slide fingernail in the disc drawer door, pry it open, slide out the Music CDR and put in a regular CDR and proceed.

Naturally this all gets more complex to implement when the music is streamed and recorded to a hard drive. The alternative would always be to record the stream in analog, then re-rip to your digital library, not that multiple conversions ever does anything much good but it'd probably be pretty good.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Thu, Feb 4 2016 1:53 AM

Does anyone have any insight if the Apple Music thing for B&O products is going to happen?

Since Sonos is on board with that, I guess technically its possible

Would be nice to get that

Cheers

JK

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Fri, Feb 12 2016 3:26 PM

Bump

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,357
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Feb 12 2016 3:40 PM

I deal with Apple in my profession (regards Apple TV) and they are not easy to deal with :) Would assume Apple have requirements in how things are presented that B&O may have problems with. 

At least the Moment feels quite tightly integrated with Deezer, so I don't really see how Apple Music would be added easily.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Fri, Feb 12 2016 3:46 PM

That piece to navigate through the music is prob a no. But what should be possible is to send the stream direct to the essence/moment from an idevice

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Sat, Apr 23 2016 1:03 AM

Still no rumors if Apple Music will come to B&O products in any shape or form?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Apr 23 2016 2:20 AM
jk1002:

Still no rumors if Apple Music will come to B&O products in any shape or form?

Dont know - let us see if any B&O engineers are going to the Apple conference June Smile

BeoNut since '75

PhilLondon
Top 25 Contributor
London
Posts 3,607
Bronze Member
For now Apple hasn't opened Apple music's API's.

They have however allowed SONOS to offer an Apple Music integration, so it looks they are not totally opposed to it.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons. Other apps: ConsltThe Story Mouse

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Sat, Apr 23 2016 6:10 PM

I think that they may have in 9.3. 

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/releasenotes/General/WhatsNewIniOS/Articles/iOS9_3.html

While its ok to give sonos a bit of a head start with it, long term i think it would be unwise to block others

JK

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Apr 28 2016 11:33 PM
jk1002:

I think that they may have in 9.3.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/releasenotes/General/WhatsNewIniOS/Articles/iOS9_3.html

While its ok to give sonos a bit of a head start with it, long term i think it would be unwise to block others

JK

Another link for an overview

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/28/apple-music-new-api-ios-9-3/

Apple has provide a way

Now it's a question of B&O's capacity, capability, and will

Time will telk

BeoNut since '75

PhilLondon
Top 25 Contributor
London
Posts 3,607
Bronze Member
PhilLondon replied on Thu, Apr 28 2016 11:45 PM

This is to allow apps to play Apple Music on an Apple Hardware. It's not the same as allowing a hardware device to play Apple Music...

p.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons. Other apps: ConsltThe Story Mouse

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Apr 29 2016 12:02 AM
PhilLondon:

This is to allow apps to play Apple Music on an Apple Hardware. It's not the same as allowing a hardware device to play Apple Music...

p.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons. Other apps: The Story Mouse . Grignan guide .

I accept that - however if Beomusic used that API then we would be better able to stream to (for example, my) Essence ?

BeoNut since '75

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Sat, Apr 30 2016 12:31 AM

I think what I am after is to be able to stream to multiple airplay devices, multi room.

We don't have deezer in the US and spotify messed up my carefully curated library when they introduced the ability to save albums so am resistant to go back to that.

Sonos has multi room so it cant be a licensing issue -  if Apple is holding back the APIs they are using with sonos from other vendors then their revenue is rightfully gong to shambles ....

Matter of fact is, service is 9 month old and hasn't improved much.

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 706
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sat, Jul 16 2016 11:04 AM

Have a related question. I can get Apple Music playing when attaching an ATV to the BV. Has anyone tried whether it is possible to distribute the music to multi-room with this setup. And a second question: possible to distribute it multi-room when airplaying from an iphone?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Jul 16 2016 12:52 PM
steve1977:

Have a related question. I can get Apple Music playing when attaching an ATV to the BV. Has anyone tried whether it is possible to distribute the music to multi-room with this setup. And a second question: possible to distribute it multi-room when airplaying from an iphone?

No to both as multiplayer.

Yes to the ATV if you want to divert the sound away from the BV eg Bluetooth headphones to quietly watch tv late at night or to play Apple Music on an essence in another room.

The "only" multi room play capability in the Apple stable is OS X (now macOS) on, in my case, a MacMini or a MacBook.

BeoNut since '75

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 706
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sat, Jul 16 2016 1:25 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. Not sure I understand, are you saying I can play from an essence in another room? this would be multi-room, isn't it? I'm aware that AirPlay per se does not work multi-room (except MacOS), but was wondering whether NL multi-room can distribute to other NL rooms? I.e., ATV plays Apple Music to the BV and BV distributes the signal to other NL devices in other rooms (essence, a9, etc).
jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Sat, Jul 16 2016 5:25 PM

Airplay can not be re-distributed. Your device in the other room will be available via airplay selection on the apple tv but thats about it - so NL is not involved.

This is where Deezer and Spotify clearly lead the pack. Deezer allows re-broadcast of the stream to other devices and spotify streams straight to devices with spotify connect.

While I think it's technically possible to enable Apple Music via the Beomusic app, just like Sonos has done, thats not working yet.

I gave up on Apple Music for now for that reason. I would not even want them to integrate into Beomusic - I would want to be able to select multiple Airplay devices on my IPhone natively and idealy the "join" button needs to work.

Spotify may not have Taylor Swift but Multi Room they are nailing and their playlists are much more interesting than what apple was offering.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Jul 16 2016 7:06 PM
steve1977:

Thanks for your quick reply. Not sure I understand, are you saying I can play from an essence in another room? this would be multi-room, isn't it? I'm aware that AirPlay per se does not work multi-room (except MacOS), but was wondering whether NL multi-room can distribute to other NL rooms? I.e., ATV plays Apple Music to the BV and BV distributes the signal to other NL devices in other rooms (essence, a9, etc).

Jk1002 is right and he and I both thought you were asking to broadcast from the ATV or an iDevice.

Only the macOS's iTunes supports broadcasting.

However when I gave my Essence scenario (which I use for music) what happens is that the BV continues to receive silent cover flows and the audio is Air-played to the other room.

What I have got working is getting the BV8 to join the Essence. As far as the B&O world is concerned it is ML distributing my DVD source's HDMI audio. However little does the B&O world know that my "DVD" is an Apple TV.

So that way I achieve one of the scenarios you were looking for.

BeoNut since '75

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 239
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Sat, Jul 16 2016 7:35 PM

Any HDMI connected source on a recent BV can distribute to any room. Essence can silently join any source from a beovision. So airplay or any sound from a apple-tv can be distributed.

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 706
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sat, Jul 16 2016 8:10 PM

Thanks for your replies. I am still not sure whether I fully understand and what I'd like to do is feasible or not. Basically, I am not looking to broadcast via airplay. Let's start simple. If I play Apple Music on my ATV (connected via HMDI to a BV, can I play this multi-room (via NL). The answer below implies this is possible, while at the same time I have seen many comments that Spotify is not possible to redistribute this way? Something about encryption?

L1NO:
Any HDMI connected source on a recent BV can distribute to any room. Essence can silently join any source from a beovision. So airplay or any sound from a apple-tv can be distributed.

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 239
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Sun, Jul 17 2016 3:06 AM

Any B&O airplay capable device can't distribute audio trough beolink multiroom from airplay. External devices (eg apple tv) can (if connected with hdmi) to a beovision that has beolink muliroom capabilities. 

You stream to your apple tv and are able to 'start listening'  from your beovision. Any multilink product can borrow that audio trough join whilst the beovision is playing. The essence is also able to borrow a source from one of the hdmi sources of the bv. This would make the essence a 'master' player and other beolink multiroom players can join. The beovision would stay silent or off.

For all these operations a beo one and ir eye is neede to perform these operations. 

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 706
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Jul 17 2016 7:56 AM

Thanks, perfect! So, an ATV actually allows me to use Spotify, Apple Music and whatever else I can imagine in a multi-room setup?

Instead of the IR eye, I'd assume that the Beomusic app would also do the trick?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jul 17 2016 11:03 AM
steve1977:

Thanks, perfect! So, an ATV actually allows me to use Spotify, Apple Music and whatever else I can imagine in a multi-room setup?

Instead of the IR eye, I'd assume that the Beomusic app would also do the trick?

I can't confirm Spotify as I don't use it that often.

But yes to Apple Music playing on the ATV. Or any other ATV application (and I stress application).

Similarly to any other BV source: eg TV, DTV, HDMI player, HDMI STB.

Re BeoMusic app the answer is yes.

BeoNut since '75

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 706
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Jul 17 2016 11:15 AM

Thanks. Why do you stress application? Would it also work when airplay to the ATV (and then the ATV outputs via HDMI to the BV)? How would the BV knows whether the input from HDMI comes from an ATV app or from an airplay stream sent to the ATV?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jul 17 2016 1:44 PM
steve1977:

Thanks. Why do you stress application? Would it also work when airplay to the ATV (and then the ATV outputs via HDMI to the BV)? How would the BV knows whether the input from HDMI comes from an ATV app or from an airplay stream sent to the ATV?

I stressed "application" to make the point the ATV (latest generation) is way way more than a set top box accessing channels.

Your suggestion of AirPlay to ATV to BV to in my case BLC NL/ML to Essence was very interesting.

So much so I did a test.

Congratulations my friend Big Smile

Right now I have an iPhone playing Apple Music to the ATV that is playing to the BV that is playing (via the BLC NL/ML) to the Essence.

There seems to be lag between the two rooms but I have never tried to to tune a delay factor.

So yes you are right !

Of course since I was using Apple Music and that is available on the ATV anyway I had introduced a redundant element.

So ... I then tried Airplaying Spotify.

And that worked too.

But of course I could have sent the Spotify via Connect direct to the Essence anyway!

So I hope my practical experiment has helped your understanding.

BeoNut since '75

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 706
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Jul 17 2016 1:54 PM

Thanks, brilliant! This is also the workaround to get Spotify working multi-room via NL :-)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,477
Bronze Member

@elephant

The magic of NL and the BeoMusic app is, that you can manage your setup AND your playback from within one interface (as far as allowed from the content holders)

In your case you are using an external app - this is definitely a workaround!

It may work well, but it is not what B&O intend with NL/BeoMusic App.

P.S. No worries - I'd do the same as you, if needed Stick out tongue

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jul 17 2016 1:58 PM
@MM

Where there is a will there is a way

However I think it's an extreme use case, and so for me it was only an interesting experiment

BeoNut since '75

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 706
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Jul 17 2016 1:59 PM

Yup, that's clear and fully aware. Issue is that none of Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer Elite is supporting B&O. Deezer is, but clearly inferior to the others. While the work-around is clearly less than ideal, it does allow to use the "better" streaming services in a NL setup.

And the chances to see a Spotify app for ATV4 are probably higher than seeing a full native Spotify integration into Beomusic.

Anyhow, I still much prefer a native integration and hope this may happen!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,477
Bronze Member

If it comes to using a workaround, (instead of airplaying to the ATV of the tv), I'd rather connect an AirPortExpress alternatively a Playmaker to the line-in of the Essence.

Anything connected to the line-in can be distributed on the NL.

MM

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 706
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Jul 17 2016 9:20 PM
That's another good work-around. unfortunately, the ML/NL does not have a line-in, does it?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,477
Bronze Member
Page 4 of 5 (165 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL