rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 27 Replies | 2 Followers

sia
Not Ranked
48 Posts
Bronze Member
sia posted on Fri, May 1 2015 11:49 PM

Hi eveyone,

I'm using two beolab 7-4 as left and right speakers in a stereo setup (after some rewiering). Their sound is fantastic and in my opinion much etter than any Beolab speaker below beolab 9. The only problem is the low end. I'm using the setup for music only and have no need of disco booms but would like to have a nice and above all, clear bass while listening to jazz music and alike. Since beolab 7-4 is able to push quite alot of watts and play clear and without distortion even at high volumes, I will need a good subwoofer to acompany the set. What would you suggest? Beolab 19, 2 or would the fancy looking beolab 11 match the set or perhaps a B&W PV1?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,296 Posts
Silver Member

go to soundheavenly.com and contact Steve.

Tell him that you want one cable for left signal and one cable for right signal for the Beolab 7.4's. 

He removes the necessary pins on the power linkage before shipping. 

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

All Replies

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,219 Posts
Founder
I think the bl11 would be a better visual match. Make it a rose red tulip between two thorns Big Smile Do you have a picture of the current set up ?

BeoNut since '75

sia
Not Ranked
48 Posts
Bronze Member
sia replied on Sat, May 2 2015 6:52 AM

I like the look of BL 11, however I'm not sure if it would be able to  produce enough sound preasure as beolab 7-4's. From what B&O said during the launch of Beolab 7-4, it should be able to produce enought sound preasure, as centre chanel, to match beolab 5's. So the question is how much bas would I need to balance the beolab 7-4?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,388 Posts
Bronze Member

You might get a lot of (different) suggestions here.

Best thing to do, is to try out your options at home - after all the sub will be in your place, and you will have to decide, if it suits your needs.

Btw - never heard of anyone using two BL4's as fronts - interesting choice Smile

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

sia
Not Ranked
48 Posts
Bronze Member
sia replied on Sat, May 2 2015 8:32 AM

Thanks for your reply. You are of course right and a live comparison would probably be the best, however as bl2 is discontinued, it would be difficult to arrange a comparison. Unfortunatly I don't think bl11 is powerful enough to fill in the lower end. I have also reviewed few postings, where beolab 2 and 19 has been used witht bl1 and bl18. I have also red few posts on bl2 beeing too boomy and sometimes described as slow. 

In my setup I'm not using a dsp from a tv but using beosound essence. The good thing with bl2 (and bl11 for that matter) is the fact that they seem to have an onboard cross-over filter so they hand over higher signals to front speakers and in that way are able to manag a better distribution of signals among the speakers. This doesn't seem to be the case with bl19 which seems to be dependent to a dsp for cross-over from fo instant a beovision 11 or a beosystem 3-4.

so perhaps I should rephrase my questions as?

1- Is beolab 2 a fast enough subwoofer for hifi-use only or is it more suited for 5-1 setting

2- would bl2 be able to produce enough thd-free sound preasure to match beolab 7-4, after all each element in bl7-4 can handle 250 watts

3- has anyone tried to connect one pf bigger beolabs (bl1, bl pentha, or alike) to a b&w pv1

About using two beolab7-4 as front speakers, I really suggest it, specially now that all older beovision 4s and 7s are becoming obsolete and it is possible to get a pair of 7-4 for as low as 1000 euros.  I have compared them myself with bl8000 and bl3 and bl7-4's sounds way better than both of them regarding all high and mid tons and most of bass signals but as I mentioned, they need some help for the real low signals, 50 Hz and below. I'm sure their sound will improve further once I find a functional subwoofer.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
3,517 Posts
Bronze Member
I'll be honest, I thought the idea was a bit potty. But considering their power mated town acoustic lens, id love to see and hear how they are.

I had a Beolab 2 and I regret trading it in. It isn't perfect at everything, but once correctly positioned and set, it's old skool fantastic. Yes - thumbs up

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,388 Posts
Bronze Member

Would be nice to see the 7-4's on a stand, that puts them in ear-height.

P.S. sia - how are yours placed?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,296 Posts
Silver Member
I have the Beolab 2 with the center Beolab 7-4. When using only those two, I can't say that it sounds very nice.

Sia43
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Sia43 replied on Sat, May 2 2015 5:03 PM

I'm relocating so as of now the speakers are standing on the floor but they will be wall mounted eventually. I have never been a fan of stand mounted speakers.

Sia43
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Sia43 replied on Sat, May 2 2015 5:06 PM

Have you connected them as dedicated left and roght speakers? Since tbl 7-4 is a center speaker, it plays both left and right chanel and need some rewiering in order to become dedicated left or right speakers

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,296 Posts
Silver Member

How would the rewiring be done? Is it complicated?

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,296 Posts
Silver Member

Or is it possible to have powerlink cables made with only left channel in one and right channel in the other?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
2,078 Posts
Gold Member

Hi leosgonewild,

This can be sorted out quite easily with some custom-wired Powerlink cables (which I will be pleased to build for you if required!) Smile

Beolab 7-4 is a mono speaker, so it is wired to look for the left audio channel in the Powerlink socket.  Hence, wiring the left speaker in the stereo pair is straightforward and a standard Powerlink cable can be used for this.

Wiring the right speaker in the stereo pair just needs a "crossover" cable, wired to feed the right audio channel from the source into the left audio pin of the speaker input.  To avoid confusion, I normally suggest wiring each speaker directly back to the source.

The "high-end" single channel cables that I make work particularly well in this setup, as one cable can be easily wired for crossover use on the right speaker:-

http://soundsheavenly.com/powerlink-8-pin-din-connection/21-bespoke-high-end-powerlink-compatible-cable-wired-for-single-channel-audio-only-ultra-high-performance.html

If you need any further help, please let me know.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,296 Posts
Silver Member

Edited.

Misunderstood previous post.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,296 Posts
Silver Member
Now there are 3x Beolab 7.4 standing in my living room :)

Waiting for special cables from sounds heavenly.

I will use them with my beovision 7 and Beolab 2. How should I hook this up?

Speakers into television and choose Beolab 3 or Beolab 8000 in settings?

Or should I connect the Beolab 2 to a speaker output, connect the 2 Bl7.4's to the subwoofer, and choose Beolab 5 or 9 in speaker settings?

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL