Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

B&Os Bath

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 169 Replies | 6 Followers

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,441 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris Townsend posted on Wed, Apr 15 2015 12:49 PM
Is it true they've just shut their doors, emptied their shelves and shut up for good?

Beovision 11-55, Beolab 2, Beosound 2(old Skool) Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

All Replies

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,281 Posts
Gold Member

Looks like it according to a Google search:

http://stores.bang-olufsen.com/great-britain/bang-olufsen-of-bath/

Dave

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,242 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 1:57 PM

Chris Townsend:
Is it true they've just shut their doors, emptied their shelves and shut up for good?

Indeed. Walked past at lunch, store is empty. Cleared out yesterday. Scary thing is, B&O Bath is in one of the most affluent areas of the country. I'm sure I was told a few years ago it was within the top five most profitable UK B&O stores.

Astonished B&O doesn't appear to have any contingency for customers who hare pre-ordered and pre-paid for goods through one of their retailers. Only course of action is to go to your credit card company!

The above is easily enough for any long-standing customer to be put off the brand.

Killyp
Not Ranked
55 Posts
Bronze Member
Killyp replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 8:16 PM

Yes closed today when I walked past. End of an era. Proud to say B&O were the first company I worked for...

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
1,063 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 8:48 PM
there's many ways to skin a cat but closing in such an area is bizarre, without presence on the high street how can they get their important selling message across. The high street is a maddening place, I live in affluent part of SW London and our high street is a mix of property agents, supermarket chains, fried chicken and charity shops, it seems independents just struggle paying rent and competing against the internet where realistically their is not such a huge price difference apart from convenience.

Could B&O lower its dealer standards (maintain quality but lower visual/aesthetic costs) and work on better profit margins and support?

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 9:23 PM

I agree Mark but it's happened in highly affluent Hampstead (great staff), beautiful part of Chester (again really nice staff), Leeds (great staff too). Really sad. Something is seriously wrong if they are not enough in these huge income areas. Has the market changed too much??? Is everybody buying SONOS type multi room systems or just iPhone/Bluetooth docks and maybe LG TVs??? Maybe. Maybe B&O needs to get a £450 4K LG TV, work their sound magic with it and sell it for £1400? 

Now you see the stress that Tue has no doubt had! Retail is such a competitive but highly changing environment!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,242 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 9:52 PM

Paul W:

Has the market changed too much??? 

I think it's a combination of traditional customers not changing their old TVs, with the younger generation not interest in paying £5K for a B&O TV. Of course, some do, just no where near as many as in the past. Harder sell, high rents, little support from B&O HQ = less motivation for dealer.

This isn't going to get any better, folks. Remember most people here view B&O with positive rose-tinted glasses. We're not good examples of an average customer.

I had £3400 of pre-paid un-delivered orders tied up in the Bath store. I had zero idea it was going to close!

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
631 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) Ben_S replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 9:56 PM
Suggested by elephant

Wasn't this a new store last year or at least a major refurbishment?

Ben

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) Paul W replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 10:00 PM
Suggested by elephant

I'm gutted for you Moxxie as I know you really liked that store. I remember seeing it when I visited Future publishing last year. I loved Bath :)

It's really sad. One near to me closed last year and it had been in the guys family for 30 years. He worked so hard! But I agree Moxxey, very few people have 5K to spend on a TV. And I think that todays generation want to spend their money on totally different things compared to other generations. 

I'm shocked for you though Moxxie. I really thought that you'd of known about it closing :(

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,441 Posts
Bronze Member
There certainly seems to be a bit of a toxic mix coming in from all directions, and I personally haven't a clue what the retailers are going through or need.

Ten years ago there was a distinct gap between B&O TVs, and the rest of the AV market that was by and large full of cheap looking rubbish. That just isn't the case anymore, where even cheap makes like LG are turning out good looking sets with excellent pictures.

My new £450 LG set for the kids bedroom, has a better picture and array of excellent smart apps which are actually useful, than my 11-46 ever had. I hate to say it, but it does. The bottom of the range LG set Erm..

The shops are full of soundbars that do a half decent job, the one from Naim the Musso is a cracker. When the makes finally get round to fusing the two together successfully its game over. A lot of it at least.

The V1 comes with Beosystem 4, WISA. I can't think of a single person I know that would ever utilise such equipment. What they want from a Beovision is a great looking set, brilliant picture and sound. At 3 times the price of a regular set, not 5-6 times.

I'm off to chear myself up with the GodfatherYes - thumbs up

Beovision 11-55, Beolab 2, Beosound 2(old Skool) Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 10:35 PM

Totally, totally agree with you Chris! I remember when you could buy a basic MX that was stripped of the surround sound, sat decoder BUT still offered excellent sound quality at a realistic price. A nice designed PLAY TV with a 4K panel and great sound, electronic curtains and nice bright colour options - the hallmarks of B&O is all that is required as an entry level at £1400 for a 40". 

Killyp
Not Ranked
55 Posts
Bronze Member
Killyp replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 10:44 PM

When I started working for B&O, the MX4200 was retailing for £1100, maybe £1195 I seem to remember, when a good, similarly-sized set from Sony would cost £350, and the MX4200 was a really great TV - all the normal features you'd expect plus a few extra unusual additions (the STB controller, motorised wall bracket).

Things are different nowadays and they can't keep running the same old model unfortunately.

It's also increasingly difficult for B&O to really provide something magical on the music side of things as the way music is consumed nowadays doesn't really leave any opportunity for event or magic, which the Beosound 3000, 9000 etc... used to provide.

Paul W
Top 50 Contributor
London
1,810 Posts
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 10:58 PM

Very true Killy. Especially as the majority now use (myself included) an iPhone for everything and no, I wouldn't want it any other way :) Maybe they could bring back the magic with bluetooth docks with motorised ALT tweeters like on the Audi A6/A8?  Certainly, things do change a lot and when a teenager  who has been brought up with an iPhone sees the sheer huge size of say a 9000 that only plays 6 discs compared to the 100,000 of their 128gb iPhone then you realise :)

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,150 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 11:51 PM

We can all analyse until the cows come home, but at the end of the day it's another store closed in a location where one should thrive...

I don't know the details so can't comment - but I'm genuinely saddened when a store is closed down, for whatever reason.

I wish Mike and his staff well in the future and always enjoyed doing business with the Bath store.  I'll miss visiting the town too!

Lee

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,242 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Apr 16 2015 6:59 AM

9 LEE:

I wish Mike and his staff well in the future and always enjoyed doing business with the Bath store.  I'll miss visiting the town too!

I had a personal phone call from Mike yesterday, which was great of him. He didn't need to do that.

9Lee, you can always come and visit me :)

Paul W - I used to work for Future (circa 2003). Now, that's truly an odd company. Either on an incredible high or in a terrible low!

Page 1 of 12 (170 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL