Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Rivenflush
Top 200 Contributor
Gothenburg
333 Posts
Bronze Member
Rivenflush posted on Sat, Feb 21 2015 10:20 PM

Hi,

I always liked the look of the Beocenter 2 and is trying to convince myself to buy one. The biggest drawback that is stopping me is that it does not have DVI / HDMI outputs and can send HD video. However, would it be possible to send the video signal through an external receiver to upscale it to 1080p?

(understood that the Scart can only transfer SD video)

Regards,
Riven 

My B&O products: Beosound 9000, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 4000 x2, Beolab 3500, Beolab 2000, Beolab 10, Beolink Active x2, Beotime, Beo5 x2, Beo4, A9 keyring x2, LC2 dimmer x6 and growing....

All Replies

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,588 Posts
Gold Member
No.

I've also wondered this in the past as I would have loved it to do it too

Remember it's a DVD and they are no where near 1080p. So even if the connection was there there's the limitation of the disc drive. Big Smile
beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,839 Posts
Bronze Member

I, too, love the design of the BeoCenter 2. I have one but haven't used it in years. It's sad that the BeoCenter 2 never had upscaling -- when nearly all other DVD players offered upscaling to 720p or 1080i. It was dated technology from the moment it was introduced. I would love to see a service where someone might be able to replace the DVD drive with a Blu-Ray drive to give new life to the old girl.

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
536 Posts
Bronze Member
DVD = 480p.
Rivenflush
Top 200 Contributor
Gothenburg
333 Posts
Bronze Member

Ok, but if not 1080p - would it be possible to upscale to 720p / 1080i?

My B&O products: Beosound 9000, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 4000 x2, Beolab 3500, Beolab 2000, Beolab 10, Beolink Active x2, Beotime, Beo5 x2, Beo4, A9 keyring x2, LC2 dimmer x6 and growing....

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,988 Posts
Bronze Member

Theoretically it could work with an external upscaler.

But, I wonder how much you would benefit from it - especially concidering the costs for the upscaler.

And - what is worse - I don't know of any external upscaler that has scart-passthrough along with the (upscaled video over) HDMI. You need the scart connection for your B&O-tv to work with the BC2.

Bite the bullet - buy a decent Bluray-player, get a PUC-update (for the BV) and....enjoy.

P.S. (If your BV is a pre-BSys4 model), you could still have a BC2 connected, if you want to - just don't expect more from it, than it can deliever.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

pauel
Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Gold Member
pauel replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 11:18 AM

...there are BS2 MKII - with VGA-Connection.

These are HD-READY (i have one of these connected to my BV4-50)

My Beo: 3x Cabinet 3, Beovision 9-50 & Beosystem 3 MK3, DVDO Edge, Cinemateq Picture Optimizer Plus SDI & Studio-Player SDI-DVD, SONY BDP-S1e BluRay, Beovision 10-32, BeoCenter 6-26, Beosound 5/Beomaster mit 1TB SSD, BeoCenter 1, Beocenter 2 DVD, 4x BeoLab 1, 2x BeoLab Penta MK3, 4xBeolab 8000, 4xBeoLab 6000,  4xBeolab 3500, 3xBeolab 2000, Beosound 9000 MK3, Ouverture, Beocom 4, Beocom 5, 4xBeocom 6000, Beocom 2, Beolit 17, Raspberry PI2 mit Rune Audio fürs Audio-Streaming, 2x RaspBerry PI4 mit LibreElec als Media-Streamer, Synology DS2415+ 120TB NAS...;-), Beosound 8

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,988 Posts
Bronze Member

I have never seen a BeoCenter2 with VGA-out!

And I have never seen a BS2 (BeoSound2) MKll with VGA-connection, either - it a MP3-player.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,839 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Theoretically it could work with an external upscaler.

But, I wonder how much you would benefit from it - especially concidering the costs for the upscaler.

And - what is worse - I don't know of any external upscaler that has scart-passthrough along with the (upscaled video over) HDMI. You need the scart connection for your B&O-tv to work with the BC2.

Bite the bullet - buy a decent Bluray-player, get a PUC-update (for the BV) and....enjoy.

P.S. (If your BV is a pre-BSys4 model), you could still have a BC2 connected, if you want to - just don't expect more from it, than it can deliever.

MM

I completely agree. The BC2 with its factory dvd drive is very limited and produces quality that just can't come close to what a modern Blu-Ray player can do with even a dvd. Even though I have a BC2, I always play my dvds on my Oppo blu-ray player. I remember years ago when B&O announced an HD-DVD player, but that got scrapped when blu-ray won the format war. It seems a shame that the only way to fill this need is with a third party blu-ray player that we keep hidden away. I love the design of the BC2. It's pure "B&O" with the brushed aluminum, magic doors, and a design that begs for the player to be kept in the open and not hidden away in a cabinet. I know that there are those who argue that physical media is dead, but I find that nothing can showcase the video and sound as well as a blu-ray movie with lossless sound.

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
536 Posts
Bronze Member
So much is written about you inevitability of streaming as content delivery. At the same time, we, as fans of B&O, look back upon all the products whose wow factor had much to do with how B&O let us interact with the physical media player in a unique and involving way. Perhaps we/they are looking at this all wrong.

Perhaps, and with the new HD blue ray standards announced, B&O should take this to the ultimate level...a real halo product...a TV with this but kt in, perhaps under licence from Oppo.

I'm ready. How about you?

B
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL