Replacing driver cones

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 0 Followers

1Henrik
Not Ranked
40 Posts
Bronze Member
1Henrik posted on Fri, Feb 20 2015 3:32 PM

I bought a secondhand pair of Beolab 6000 and 2 bass drivers are spilt in one of the speakers. Distorts terribly. I have taken the 2 speaker units out and wonder, where do I get the drivers from? Is it something I can fix myself?

Cheers

Henrik

All Replies

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,568 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Henrik,

You can buy replacement rubber surrounds and replace them yourself if you are handy. 

I did this once and it worked. I think I bought this kit.

Cheers,
Michael 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

1Henrik
Not Ranked
40 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Michael. I have just ordered the bits. I hope it will work. Has anyone else got any experiences with this? Thanks Henrik

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,281 Posts
Gold Member

1Henrik:

Thank you Michael. I have just ordered the bits. I hope it will work. Has anyone else got any experiences with this? Thanks Henrik

Loads of people here have refoamed their speakers (or re-rubbered!)  If you search the forum for 'refoam' or 'refoaming' you'll find lots of threads and Youtube has plenty of tutorials on speaker repair and refoaming/replacing surrounds.

Dave.

Micronian
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Silver Member

I just bought 2 drivers myself  from eBay.  I was thinking of refoaming the woofers, but after looking at them, I got cold feet and just decided to get the complete woofers instead. I payed USD $189.00 for 2 new woofers with manufacturing dates of December 14, 2005.  My speakers were bought around 2006 according to the previous owner.

but now there is a dilemma, the woofers came with instructions on replacing them. It says that the "level needs to be adjusted"  this 'level' they speak off I'm guessing is the voltage, because it the back of the instructions it shows a chart with different rated dB values and their respective Voltage.

Each woofer came with a sticker on the magnet that shows the rated dB for the woofer, in my case I got one with -0.3dB and the other with -0.6dB

The instructions say that this dB value must be used in connection with the adjustment ( adjusting the Voltage) on the speaker.

In order to do this, one must connect an audio oscillator to the speaker via the powerlink or phono plug. then feed a 1kHz - 100mV signal and adjust the voltage corresponding to the rated dB value of the speaker.

Also the adjusting varies if only one woofer is replaced compared to if  two woofers are replaced.

there is little screw in front of the amplifier that is used to adjust the voltage according to the diagram on the instructions.

so now I'm stuck because I don't have an audio oscillator, they don't seem too expensive, so I think I can buy a used one instead.

I will start taking my 6000 apart this weekend, I am hoping my busted woofer has a dB rating close to similar to one of the 2 woofers I got. If not, then I'll just buy the oscillator.

I though I'll let you know about this IF you decide to get new woofers.

1Henrik
Not Ranked
40 Posts
Bronze Member
1Henrik replied on Fri, Feb 20 2015 10:07 PM

My goodness. I think I will stick to a bit of foam and glue thank you. I have no idea how to fit new woofers/cones/drivers. Thanks anyway. Henrik

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Feb 20 2015 11:03 PM

You could use a test disc that has a 1 KHz tone on it instead of an oscillator, much cheaper, if your CD player has sufficient resolution in volume to make the right input voltage. Could always use a cheap portable with a volume out for the headphone out. Also, it's been a while since I read the instructions (I still have to do this to a pair) and I can't remember if the voltage is Vp-p or RMS or what, but if you have a traditional meter not an RMS meter be aware of the difference, you may have to do some small math.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Micronian
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Silver Member

Thanks for giving me the heads up on that one. my meter is unfortunately not RMS. I'll check ebay for a cheap one.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,356 Posts
Gold Member

My scientific guess on these level adjustments is that around 2.7% of DIY repairmen ever care, and nobody will ever notice. The differences are very small.

I certainly didn't adjust for my replacement BL8000 tweeters (basically the same procedure).

I'll bet the replacement surroundings will alter the drivers' response a lot more than not caring about 0.5 dB of sensitivity difference.

--mika

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,568 Posts
Bronze Member

tournedos:

My scientific guess on these level adjustments is that around 2.7% of DIY repairmen ever care, and nobody will ever notice. The differences are very small.

I certainly didn't adjust for my replacement BL8000 tweeters (basically the same procedure).

I'll bet the replacement surroundings will alter the drivers' response a lot more than not caring about 0.5 dB of sensitivity difference.

Makes me think of One hour photo with Robin WIlliams :). 

"I've been doing P.O.S. mini-lab work for more than 20 years now. I consider it an important job. When people's houses are on fire, what's the first thing they save after their pets and loved ones are safe? The family photos. Some people think that this is a job for a clerk. They actually believe that any idiot that attends a two-day seminar can master the art of making beautiful prints in less than an hour. But of course, like most things, there's far more to it than meets the eye. I've seen prints they fob off on people at the Rexall or Fotek... milky, washed-out prints... too dark prints. There's no sense of reverence for the service they're providing for people. I process these photos as if they were my own." 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL