Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 52 Replies | 7 Followers

Huwwy
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Huwwy posted on Mon, May 28 2012 6:50 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so hello!

I have been considering buying a Beosound 5 or Encore for a while. I've heard from a dealer that there will be a £1000 off offer for June and July but I still can't work out if they are still ridiculously expensive or whether they are genuinely worth the cost.

An alternative for me would be to buy the new A8 but that would leave me without MOTS which is one of the primary reasons for buying.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Thanks

Huwwy

All Replies

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
562 Posts
Bronze Member

I don’t use iCloud or an Airport Express. You only asked which brands offer more, remember? And I responded to that. The people who use or discovered Spotify will never buy a BS5. That’s what this topic is all about, isn’t it? The BS5 is a great product, but it’s not perfect. The product needs to keep up with, what the current/future market askes for.

jhamers
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member
jhamers replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 10:37 AM

I'm a bit late for this but for me personally it would be 'no'.

I bought a BS 5 / Beolab 9 combination because the house i bought had about 7 link rooms installed and i needed an audiomaster to get it all working. The design, as usual, is very nice, but the usability is a huge disaster.

For me: this is why:

• I had my complete library in iTunes on my mac, to get it on the beomaster takes some effort and it took me some weeks to get the two synced and ended up buying some software for it. I would expect a high end brand to make sure they integrate better with another posh brand.
  • MOTS does what it says it does (as does iTunes Genius) but is far from perfect. You have a dinner party, brag about your system, start a Rolling Stones number and about an half hour later: BANG, Christmas music in the middle of July. You can exclude certain songs from MOTS but it takes forever using the dials on the beosound
  • Selecting songs yourself to create a queue or playlist is an absolute nightmare, you need to know the exact first letter of the artist, album or song, no searching. So when i'm creating a playlist or queue, i need to have my ipad close by to search for a song and see where i can find it.
  • Biggest issue is that they refuse to make an ipad/tablet app that would let you do all of the above. I'm sure they can but won't because of missing on revenue.

My father bought a SONOS multiroom system and the control app is sooo easy to use it got me jealous :)

If it weren't for the link rooms, sticking an ipad on a metal stand would look almost as nice and provides a lot more functionality.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder

jhamers:
If it weren't for the link rooms, sticking an ipad on a metal stand would look almost as nice and provides a lot more functionality.

If I were you, I would sell the BS5/BM5 and buy a BeoPort.

Connect the BeoPort to your iMac, use the IR eye as a luxury in the room that held the BS5, and connect the BL9s to the BeoPort.

I would also connect the BeoPort to the ML to the Link Rooms.

I would then use either BMLINK or LINKPLAYER (1, or the Beta 2) for link room and IR eye interaction.

But the main thing as you suggest, would be to use Apple's remote App on the iPad to do searching and control.

And use iTunes Genius to give you a proxy for MOTS.

Oh, and don't forget that you can use the Beo4 or the IR eye to get some control.

BeoNut since '75

Rikard
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
218 Posts
Bronze Member
Rikard replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 5:33 PM

If needed you can use the a.aux and have an Airportexpress to connect sportify or other devices.. It requires a phono-usb but that is a small issue :) 

I can understand the irritation while choosing songs, I have the same irritation. However there is an app for the iPad and there is also the Boe6 remote which I think makes it easier scrolling through the lists. 
I will call my dealer and see if there is a possibility to lend one and see if it makes more of the BS5.  

I had all my music on my macmini before I got the BS5. That works, but you always needed to start the tv, making shure that it was up and running. Then the batteries died on the ipad.. 

If you like the link system and the other B&O products you can always trade the BS5 for a BS4 and use the aux inlet, continuing with itunes or using a Sonos.. 

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,300 Posts
Bronze Member
Hi ed, what's a beoport?
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 11:09 AM

Michael:
Hi ed, what's a beoport?

it is the third generation this solution => http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=988

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,300 Posts
Bronze Member
elephant:

it is the third generation this solution => http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=988

Beo-Ed :-)

Thanks. I think I get it.
Joe
Not Ranked
Dallas, TX
38 Posts
Gold Member
Joe replied on Fri, Oct 5 2012 5:16 PM

Howdy Everyone,

This is my first post to the forum.

I just placed my order for a BM5/BS5 as the dealer is now offering through B&O a huge Holiday savings. At the retail price I couldn't bring myself to make this purchase, sale price is within my realm of "believeable". After reading posts about the Beosound5 am starting to have doubts. Did I do the right thing? Is the BM5/BS5 going away to be replaced by something better and less expensive?

A few readers wrote that they really love their BS5 especially the MOTS function. For me, I am looking for an all-in-one solution. I don't want to add addtiional NAS storage or buy addtional software. Hopefully I made the right decison.

Ps-wish me luck, I live a long way from the dealer so the BM5/BS5 with table stand is being shipped to me along with all the manuals and dealer Guide. I will be assembling and wiring the entire system myself as a standalone unit. Any thoughts, tips, tricks from those who already have this unit up and running in their current music systems. Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks....

Joe

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder

Joe:

Howdy Everyone,

This is my first post to the forum.

I just placed my order for a BM5/BS5 as the dealer is now offering through B&O a huge Holiday savings. At the retail price I couldn't bring myself to make this purchase, sale price is within my realm of "believeable". After reading posts about the Beosound5 am starting to have doubts. Did I do the right thing? Is the BM5/BS5 going away to be replaced by something better and less expensive?

A few readers wrote that they really love their BS5 especially the MOTS function. For me, I am looking for an all-in-one solution. I don't want to add addtiional NAS storage or buy addtional software. Hopefully I made the right decison.

Ps-wish me luck, I live a long way from the dealer so the BM5/BS5 with table stand is being shipped to me along with all the manuals and dealer Guide. I will be assembling and wiring the entire system myself as a standalone unit. Any thoughts, tips, tricks from those who already have this unit up and running in their current music systems. Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks....

Joe

Howdy Pardner Joe Smile

Welcome to Beoworld and the *M*A*G*I*C* of B&O.

I wish you great joy with the BM5/BS5 ... but Beoworld membership comes at a price .... you simply MUST do an unboxing thread of your adventures Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
354 Posts
Silver Member

Hi Joe

I think you are going got be very happy with the BS5, we have ours in the kitchen (where we are most of the time) and connected to ML around in the house. We have a pair of BL3's connected to BM5.

We really enjoy the system, and our guests also say wauv to the system. My wife mostly use the radio function, and if you have time, you really must scan thru the station around the world/genres, as you here will find so many interesting stations. That is also a strong feature of BS5.

I often listen to music, and navigate a lot on the system, we have about 18.000 music tracks. And here we often let MOTS do the thing for us.

The system is very stable and it does the job just perfect. But I agree, the List price is too high for the BS5.

There are some feature already available, with some software, i.e. Twonky for iPhone or Creation 5 for iPad, you can stream the music directly to BS5 if needed, or you can add additional sources to the USB port on the BM5. 

And I bet that the features will grow over time. 

Good luck with the system.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,300 Posts
Bronze Member
Hi Joe

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I think once you get the bs5 home and unboxed you won't think of the money once you have it and use it.

I also set mine up myself, the trickiest part is connecting the stand to the unit but there is a trick to enter a pin and twist it back prior to attaching. That may sound muddled up but trust me once you have the parts you'll see what I mean.

Other tricks are:

- make sure you attach all cables before attaching the stand, and even buy a large USB extension cable just in case.

- the bs5 encore only has one power link slot so perhaps ask for a power link splitter. But I think the version you have might have 2

- when attaching the display make sure you have a little spirit level so you ensure it's all level. This matters because once attached it will look odd if its not straight

- also buy a cable sock for all of the cables it looks neater

Also later on you can also add a playmaker to the mix which brings added flexibility

I noticed that it took a good day for the system to do its mots and ensure that it displayed the cover art.

Can't wait to see your pics and hear what your first song is that you will play. Someone on the forum was mentioning that hellagood by no doubt is a good song to test your speakers and that song was featured in my lounge yesterday :)
beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,493 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 10:22 PM

I'm looking forward to hearing how your new system works out, Joe.

I fully agree with Michael's advice about getting the cables in the stand correctly. You really MUST follow the diagram in the instructions exactly -- even though it might sound silly. Otherwise, the cables won't fit.

Also, remember that in order for the BeoSound 5 to perform and look its best, you really need to take some time to make sure all of your music is correctly tagged and that you have good resolution cover art. Otherwise, all of those shortcomings will become glaringly obvious on the BeoSound 5.

My home is fully wired for MasterLink in every room. After years of having the BeoSound 5, I've come to think of it as part of my home -- just like electricity or plumbing. It all feels so natural to move from room to room and continue listening to and have control of the music from the BeoSound 5. I, for one, absolutely cannot imagine having a BeoSound 5 Encore. The Encore seems to leave out a huge part of the whole BeoSound 5 experience.

The Beo6 certainly helps with link room control, but it just can't compare to the Apple "Remote" app on the iPad for iTunes. It really is time for B&O to come out with a proper iPad app to provide direct control, extend search functionality and retain MOTS -- something that the third party apps just can't do.

MARKFS
Top 500 Contributor
90 Posts
Bronze Member
MARKFS replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 1:40 PM

But if you would have an app to control the beosound, doesn't the function of the beosound seems a bit "lame"?

Why not just buy the playmaker then, and control the music from your ipad? :) 

Rikard
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
218 Posts
Bronze Member
Rikard replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 3:15 PM

I totally agree with you MARKFS, if an app is needed then why use the BS5 in the first place? 

I can collect all my music in some other place - a nas, a mac mini, using appletv or some other device that I can control with the apps on my ipad. Extremely much cheaper than in an BS5 - if I need the app.

One big feature with B&O is that you have only one remote, now other suppliers of highend stereo equipment have begun to solve this issue aswell.. 

Ok, not as good design as B&O, but the same feature..

I say no to an app any day of the week..

MARKFS
Top 500 Contributor
90 Posts
Bronze Member
MARKFS replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 3:41 PM

But it would be cool, if the beosound could control a little more than just music.

Perhaps lightning and room temperature. 

Another thing that I think is missing with the beosound 5 is the ability to use multiroom streaming. 

So that you could start some music in the kitchen and pick up on the beosound 5 in the livingroom on the control unit. 

Page 3 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL