Beolab 4000 or Beolab 6000?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 0 Followers

ampiezzamoda
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
ampiezzamoda posted on Sun, Nov 30 2014 3:16 PM

Hello, I am a huge fan of B&O from the UK and I am looking to upgrade my system a little. Currently I have a Beocenter 9000 connected to Beovox CX50s. I am planning to purchase either VGC preowned Beolab 6000 or Beolab 4000 for around £500 however I'm not sure which ones to get. I have had a short demo of Beolab 6000 in store and was impressed but I would be really pleased if someone could explain the characteristic of sound of the Beolab 4000 compared to the Beolab 6000, thank you.

All Replies

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,281 Posts
Gold Member

Welcome to Beoworld.

Best if you can listen to some 4000's yourself as sound perception is different for us all - especially as you get older.  Personally, I find the 4000's better at bass reproduction.  I love my 4000's.  They are small enough to be discrete on a bookshelf or the floor but produce great sound, detail and volume when needed.

Dave.

ampiezzamoda
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Dave for such a fast answer. I will try and find a pair to listen to in my area but it helps that you've pointed out their bass reproduction. 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,221 Posts
Silver Member
Contact me if you are interested in blue or green Beolab 4000 :)
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Nov 30 2014 4:40 PM

If I wasn't set on having a floor standing speaker I'd go for the 4000s personally. Two issues, well three. I love the way they look, they have in my opinion a bit better bass, and they don't have the issue of the woofers going bad after a few years as the BL6000s do. I have a used pair of 6000s and three of the 4 woofers are bad, I have replacements but haven't had time to get to them yet. I wish I'd gotten 4000s.

The 6000s are in the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) but I still like the looks of the 4000s better, such a unique shape, and there is a floor stand for them if needed.

My 2 cents anyway! Wink

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

schatzoy
Not Ranked
Zurich
55 Posts
Bronze Member

Beolab 4000. 

Simbohm
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member
I have both.

6000 mounted against the walls, the 4000 in wall cabinets.

The 4000's produce more and tight base, but the music IMHO sounds much better on 6000's. I would say the 4000's are punchy and a bit bright, the 6000 much better balanced - frankly for certain types classical pieces they rival my 8000's.

I ended pairing my 8000's with a good Velodyne sub and they sound great. My 6000's are next to a room (large opening between rooms) with 12-2's and a BL11 - if I turn down the 12-3's and with the added base punch from the BL11 the 6000's sound much, much better then the 4000's - a different league.

Hope that helps
Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,986 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Nov 30 2014 10:18 PM

You have to listen to speakers - you will get opinions but none of them are coming from your ears. Both speakers are fine - I prefer 4000s but that is my preference. Picking the speaker that fits your scenario the best would not be a mistake.

Peter

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Nov 30 2014 11:39 PM

One thing, the 4000s have a lot more placement options than a floor standing speaker like the 6000s.

But of course Peter is absolutely right what sounds best to your ears is what's important. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

ampiezzamoda
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

Hello Jeff, thank you, your input is exactly what I was looking for! I decided to go for some White/aluminium Beolab 6000 from 2008 to try and ensure their condition and they will arrive at the weekend. I have one more question, I understand you can connect them via RCA to a beocenter 9000 but am I right in saying that there is a single LINE input on one of the speakers and you connected them together with a powerlink then the single line cable takes the stereo signal and takes it to the beocenter? Just to make sure I have the correct cable to be able to listen to these when they arrive!! 

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,986 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Dec 2 2014 1:36 PM

The line cable will only take one channel - the powerlink cable carries both. To use with a 9000, you will need attenuated cables as the output from the 9000 is amplified - Sounds Heavenly can no doubt help here.

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL