Turntable for the newbie

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Archmcp
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Archmcp posted on Sat, Oct 25 2014 4:34 AM

Never owned one, know next to nothing about them.  I'm in the process of uncovering some records my dad played on back in the 60s-70s and I need a player.   Looking for a great, simple design and a decent starter turntable.  Among the players out there I've seen the BO products look great but my budget is scant, between 100-150.  Seen some RXs with MMC4s that might work.  I have a Technica SA-EX320 reciever.  It has phono input, but where to go from here...Do I need a preamp?  Is the RX a good fit?  Other ideas?

thanks!

All Replies

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,265 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi and welcome to Beoworld.

You don't say which country you're in so your budget is guesswork at the moment - £,$,€, CHF?

If the turntable you buy does not have an inbuilt pre-amp, you will need to buy an external one.

If you want to go the B&O truntable route - a good one but then we are biased, here is a list of B&O turntables that do need an external pre-amp unless one has previously been fitted to the turntable as an option:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Which-B-O-Beogram-turntables-need-a-pre-amplifier-kit-/10000000008159075/g.html

An RX would work for you, as would the Beogram 5000 and Beogram 5005.  The 5005 being a tangential turntable rather than radial.

Connection to your amp is straightforward.  it the turntable has RCA plugs fitted they go straight into the 'Phono' inputs of your receiver.  If the turntable has DIN connectors, don't cut them off, just use a DIN to RCA adapter.  If your new turntable does not have a pre-amp, you can buy one quite cheaply and with the appropriate connectors.

If you want a B&O turntable with a pre-amp installed, these will more than likely be outside your budget - unless you're very lucky.

Bear in mind that even if the turntable operates, if you search Beoworld you will learn that suspension failure on old MMC1-5 cartridges is common leading to poor sound reproduction.  This can be repaired but is an additional cost to factor into your thinking (starting at 99 €).

Repairs at:  http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/B-O-MMC-Reparatur-Repair/REPARATUR-MMC-1-5/

If you're patient and research well, you may hit lucky and find a good turntable within your budget.  There are plenty about.  These turntables are getting old now and need looking after - cleaning, lubricating, setting up properly, capacitor replacement etc.

Please keep us up to date with yoru choice.

Dave.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
1,894 Posts
Bronze Member

I have a Beogram 5005 with a built-in preamp and a mmc4. I can sell it to you for 300euros.

Archmcp
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Dave!  Great questions and info!

$100 US (so the 300 euro is out of range)

It sounds like I need a pre amp if I go RX, 5000 or 5005 (I'll have to research radial v tangential)  If so any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated.  For now cheap is good.

Connection is straightforward.

The biggest hang up I have is whether or not to go down the road of an old product.  I can see myself getting into the mechanics and craft, but I don't want that to be so demanding up front that it turns me away altogether.  In other words, I want to play a few records befote it becomes a full blown hobby.

cheers!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,310 Posts
Gold Member

As you have a phono input on your Amp, a preamp shouldnt be needed.

Except for the BG TX2 all the tangentials goes for higher prices than your budget. My advise to you is: Get yourself a good working BG RX, BG 1800, BG 2404, or similar These you can get for USD 100-150, (USA) if you are lucky, even with a working MMC cartridge, I would go for BGs with MMC cartridges, as they are easier to come by, and cheaper to get repaired and buy, and can be upgraded/repaired to any type within the MMC range (MMC1-5).

Go for a working and tested BG, best is locally where you can test before buying, But count in the cost of a cartridge repair, even if you get a working original cartridge, it will need repair sooner or later.

As Dave told you, all the BGs you can buy today will need some TLC (Tender Loving Care), if you are a little handy, thats not a problem, and on a working BG this is just cleaning and lubricating, and maybe a belt change. And if problem occur help is available here on the forum.

Now go hunting, but be patient and check carefully before you buy.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,265 Posts
Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:
As you have a phono input on your Amp, a preamp shouldnt be needed.

Hi Soren,

I had a look at the full user manual and some other forums and owners of this specific amp have all said that a pre-amp is needed for the phono input. I was surprised too as in normal circumstances, a phono input is prepared for TT's without a pre-amp but it seems, possibly not in this case.  It does say RIAA in the manual specs so I don't know why users say you need one?

I suppose the answer is to try a TT without a pre-amp and see if it's OK.

There are plenty of alternatives for TT's as Soren says, the 2400 series are all OK and are relatively cheap.  There are always risks in getting one shipped to you - damage, especially to the lid, tonearm or bearings if it's not locked down for transport and shipped properly.  Local pick-up is preferable.

Dave.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,310 Posts
Gold Member

Dave Farr:
where did that info come from?

I found the SA-EX 320 service manual and this is part of the Tech specs,

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,265 Posts
Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:

Dave Farr:
where did that info come from?

I found the SA-EX 320 service manual and this is part of the Tech specs,

It was in the user manual too hence my edit above.  All users on other forums say you need a pre-amp though!  Try it and see.

Dave.

Archmcp
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Archmcp replied on Sun, Oct 26 2014 12:36 AM
Thanks guys! I'll try and wrap my head around the various models beyond RX and continue the search. eBay is of course plentiful. Started on Craigslist and the first one I saw vanished in moments. Imagine I'll find something here in Chicago though. So it sounds like the pre may or may not be required but I should just give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks again and sure I'll be back with questions.
Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,265 Posts
Bronze Member

Archmcp:
Thanks guys! I'll try and wrap my head around the various models beyond RX and continue the search. eBay is of course plentiful. Started on Craigslist and the first one I saw vanished in moments. Imagine I'll find something here in Chicago though. So it sounds like the pre may or may not be required but I should just give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks again and sure I'll be back with questions.

Yes, as it seems inconclusive as to whether you need a pre-amp or not, if you buy a turntable first and try it to see what happens.  If you get good sound/volume, your receiver likely has a pre-amp, or, the TT has one.  If very low sound, you will need to buy a pre-amp but they're only $50 or so.

There are plenty of RX and TX turntables in the US but be patient to getthe right TT.

Dave

Archmcp
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

Been scanning chicago craigslist for the past week or so.  There's an RX for $30, no cartridge not sure about the belt.  Needs tlc.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ele/4721793714.html

Then there's this Beogram 1602.   Something about it feels every so slightly less refined than the RX, but the price seems good if it's ready to play.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/4724278194.html

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL