Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Vintage Beolit Thread

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 54 Replies | 4 Followers

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
620 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S posted on Wed, Sep 3 2014 4:59 PM

Spent yesterday sorting out my Beolit 600.

It was in a very good shape cosmetically, with no damage at all and battery cover included. Sadly, there was no tuning string in it when I bought it. So having ordered the string from Martin I set to work!

If anyone is looking to do this then I'm sure it has been discussed before, but it is a real pain and takes patience. Martin's advice of masking taping each stage was really useful. Also remembering the process and the exact amount of turns is useful. This is contained in the service manual available on site. There isn't really an easy solution but be patient and you will get there!

The curry 400 is absolutely fine luckily, but I have got spare string if required.

Finally, has anyone found any cardboard tubing that is a good substitute for a battery cover? I need one for the 400! 

Thanks!

All Replies

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,309 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks a lot Dave thats just perfect, good pics

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
620 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 6:45 PM

Thanks so much Søren and Dave. Really appreciated, I'm currently away in Sweden until the end of the week which is why I've been slow replying. I should be in the UK at the weekend though so if you need anything do ask!

Ben

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
620 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Fri, Aug 21 2015 3:39 PM
Slightly separate but a massive thank you to Henrik (square4) from the forum for sending me a new aerial for my Beolit 800. It was previously completely snapped about half way down and now is looking and sounding great! Smile

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
620 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Sun, Oct 18 2015 10:11 AM

Getting back to these Beolits today, has anyone found an alternative for the little grey clips underneath the radio?

my purple 600 has, like many others, lost theirs and the previous owner has used some screws instead!

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
329 Posts
Bronze Member

Great thread Ben - I'm envious of your purple 600!

Having grown up with my parents 400 (which I still have) it's the most emotionally connected of all B&O products to me.

To that end the perspex slider has yellowed and have searched for any method to de-yellow it, are you aware of anything that does the trick? I've successfully made vintage Lego bricks less yellow by using a bath of mild hydrogen peroxide, oxy action powder and UV light but apprehensive about testing on an irreplaceable Beolit slider!

Dave

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
620 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Aug 30 2017 8:01 AM

MrRoast:

Great thread Ben - I'm envious of your purple 600!

Having grown up with my parents 400 (which I still have) it's the most emotionally connected of all B&O products to me.

To that end the perspex slider has yellowed and have searched for any method to de-yellow it, are you aware of anything that does the trick? I've successfully made vintage Lego bricks less yellow by using a bath of mild hydrogen peroxide, oxy action powder and UV light but apprehensive about testing on an irreplaceable Beolit slider!

Dave

Thanks Dave, good work on your cleaning panels!

Did you try the solution on the slider in the end? 

Ben

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
329 Posts
Bronze Member
Cheers Ben, yes I did after the result with the panels - and I also tried it on a preset cover from a Beomaster 3000. The slider is certainly less yellow but will need another go whilst the preset cover looks much improved.

The slider was pretty dull/scratched so I used Xerapol on it and has brought it up a treat! I can highly recommend it.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
620 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 8:53 PM
A belated thank you to both Henrik (Square4) and Theomaster for helping me to finally source a Beopower 600 for use with my Beolits. I've been listening to Radio 4 in the bedroom all evening on this one and sounds fantastic!

toptip
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member
toptip replied on Thu, Dec 20 2018 1:04 AM

Hi,

I have a related query. My Beolit 600 is in near perfect shape, works and sounds great. It is just missing the three little plastic pieces (screws? plugs?) that hold the bottom slide in place (which in turn locks the front and back panels in place). I want to make some that look like the originals and I know what they look like from the outside. I just need to figure out how they attach on the the inside, that is, the battery compartment side.

I would very much appreciate a picture if anyone could send me one.

A Elam

NYC

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
821 Posts
Bronze Member

toptip:

I would very much appreciate a picture if anyone could send me one.

here you can see what they look like, grey and black vesion:

BR / Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

toptip
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member
toptip replied on Thu, Dec 20 2018 4:48 PM

Thank you very much. \

BTW, the battery pack of my Dyson handheld vacuum gave up the ghost the other day. After I bought a new pack, I figured out that the six 18650 Li-ion batteries in the old one were actually OK, it was the electronics that had gone bad. So I put two of them in a holder, for 7.8V in series. With a little sanding of its sides, the holder fit in the Beolit 600 battery compartment well. I am testing to see how long it will let the radio play. It clearly makes the Beolit much lighter. I will upload a picture once I figure out how.

toptip
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member
toptip replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 8:25 PM

I wonder if anyone has just ONE of these to spare? I can then make a silicon mold and cast as many as need be, but need one to start with.

toptip
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member
toptip replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 8:25 PM

I wonder if anyone has just ONE of these to spare? I can then make a silicon mold and cast as many as need be, but need one to start with.

square4
Top 500 Contributor
154 Posts
Gold Member
square4 replied on Wed, Feb 27 2019 10:02 AM

Here is a part of my vintage beolit collection.

And i don`t think it`s fair that i have 5 beolit 1000 when Ben S really want one.

Normally i don`t sell out of my collection,but i have decided to sell one to Ben.

So if you still are interested in a beolit 1000 Ben send me a pm.

Henrik.

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
821 Posts
Bronze Member

Henrik,

that's really amassing collection of Beolit 1000s! Surprise

And very nice from you that you will offer one of them to Ben Thumbs Up

Best regards,

Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Page 2 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS