Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Vintage Beolit Thread

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 54 Replies | 4 Followers

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
620 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S posted on Wed, Sep 3 2014 4:59 PM

Spent yesterday sorting out my Beolit 600.

It was in a very good shape cosmetically, with no damage at all and battery cover included. Sadly, there was no tuning string in it when I bought it. So having ordered the string from Martin I set to work!

If anyone is looking to do this then I'm sure it has been discussed before, but it is a real pain and takes patience. Martin's advice of masking taping each stage was really useful. Also remembering the process and the exact amount of turns is useful. This is contained in the service manual available on site. There isn't really an easy solution but be patient and you will get there!

The curry 400 is absolutely fine luckily, but I have got spare string if required.

Finally, has anyone found any cardboard tubing that is a good substitute for a battery cover? I need one for the 400! 

Thanks!

All Replies

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,312 Posts
Gold Member

Well done, it's an awful job. I use blu-tack to hold the cord while restringing or just to prevent it from unwinding if I need to disconnect a pulley for other work, etc. I find it easier and more secure than tape.

--mika

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,309 Posts
Gold Member

Ben:

Finally, has anyone found any cardboard tubing that is a good substitute for a battery cover? I need one for the 400! 

Thanks!

Try cardboard mailing tubes.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
620 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Sep 3 2014 6:59 PM

Mika, Good idea. Will try that next time!

Soren: Thanks, I will have a look for one that fits 4xD Batteries in snugly!

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
1,187 Posts
Bronze Member

I use my wife Devil to hold the string while I route it.

She's already quite an expert at it, having jointly done tens of restrings!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,977 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 10 2014 1:16 PM

Rare to see a curry Beolit in such a nice condition.
Very nice. Yes - thumbs up

Martin

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
821 Posts
Bronze Member

Really nice Beolits, both, the red and the curry one!

I would have the curry version in my collection too and ,more important, I would have also the red one for my wife. Sadly but all the red specimens to be found in the last time on the Ebay were not nice enough...

But I am sure, as always, it will come to me one day unexpected (as all my other B&O oldies which found their way to me in the last years) Smile

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
620 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Sep 10 2014 3:04 PM

Thanks Martin! Wink

Theo, I'm sure you will find one, they come up fairly regularly for sale but you sometimes have to wait to find a nice one! 

Jlloydmail
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by Irvine

Hello everyone

I've just joined, so excuse me if I'm not quite in the right place!

I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of the availability of Beolit 600/700 (1975??) antenna.

I bought mine new when I was 17 (All my summer earnings!!) - it's aerial is broken and it's generally battered but works a treat.

I bought another quite good condition recently (as I felt guilty for not looking after mine ) only to find it has had the aerial changed for a non standard one.

So there you have it - 1 Beolit 600 Black / 1 Beolit 700 White ..... no aerials !

Help or suggestions please

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
620 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Sun, Apr 12 2015 11:56 AM

Hi,

Welcome to Beoworld!

Good to see you found my old post. They are difficult to find to be honest, occasionally they come on eBay. Check eBay.de from time to time. They are lovely radios though so absolutely worth finding if you can. Of course the other alternative is to try and find another unit for spares/repairs.

You do need to become a silver/gold member to post wanted ads on here however. 

Ben

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
620 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Sun, Aug 16 2015 1:26 PM
A little update on this thread

recently found two more Beolit 600 models which will need work. One is this curry one with broken string and missing sliders. It is also missing the aerial tip. Hopefully I will find these eventually. I'm planning to clean the panels and do the tuning string when I have the time and patience.

The other is a lovely violet Beolit 600. Probably the rarest colour and something I've been looking for for a long time.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,309 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Ben

Could you take a close up pic of the antenna knob and then with a vernier take measurements of top diameter, bottom diameter and height, Square4 send one to my son in Copenhagen, that one got lost in the Danish postal service, so now I will try to make one out of aluminum in my workshop, If you have a 505 even better, if not from the 600. Post here or mail me, thank you Smile

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,265 Posts
Bronze Member

Is it the same as from the Beolit 500?  I have one and can measure that if it's any use.

Dave.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,309 Posts
Gold Member

Dave Farr:

Is it the same as from the Beolit 500?  I have one and can measure that if it's any use.

Dave.

I would appreciate that Dave, and a close up pic if possible.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,265 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Soren,

just discovered one of our cats had used my tool storage box as a litter tray and pished in it!  Hence the delay whilst I cleaned the calipers.

Anyhow, pictures here with measurements in metric:

The top is very slightly domed (convex) and not perfectly flat.

Not the clearest of pictures.  From the peak of each 'ridge' it's 0.95mm from peak to peak for this groove.  I can't measure the depth.

You should be able to measure the thread size from your original antenna.

If you need anything else, just let me know though I'll be in the UK for the next week.

Dave.

Page 1 of 4 (55 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL