Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
719 Posts
Silver Member
Lee posted on Sat, May 31 2014 12:25 PM

Hi Guys,

I've just received a re-tipped (Shibata) MMC2 off Axel and I'm not sure what to make of it... It sounds nice but I have noticed a couple of things and would lout input...

The first thing I noticed is the cantilever isn't perfectly perpendicular to the stylus body... it seens to go off to one side slightly... the second thing I noticed is the rear of the cartridge looks different to what I've seen elsewhere... It's a sort of yellow/clear plastic instead of black, and the third this is the cut at the bottom is left open... will dust get in there??

Please have a look at the following pictures.....

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Atlanta
93 Posts
Founder
Verified by Michael

That's great to hear Lee.  I've also struggled with sibilance issues but thought I may just have to live with it on my setup (MMC3 and MMC2 tried.)

It's good to hear I may not have to live with it.

All Replies

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,186 Posts
Bronze Member

I would send it back and ask Axel to re-align the cantilever.

He always leaves the saw slot open as part of his process. I can't believe that dust will travel upwards when the cartridge is in use, if indeed dust inside will cause a problem.

I have always assumed that some ends are moulded from black plastic and some from white, purely random as far as I know. I can't see why it might be significant but I'm always willing to learn.

Regards Graham

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
719 Posts
Silver Member
Lee replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 11:29 PM

Thanks for that Graham, I've send Axel an email.

I've listened to some LPs with the cartridge and noticed that I get a bit of sibilance with ESS sounds, so I dug out my shure audio obstacle course lp and played the sibilance test... This plays a track with lots of ESS sounds increasing in volume from 1-5. The mmc2 manages up to level 3 before breaking up on 4 and 5. If I play it on my other system (Hitachi music centre with an elliptical) it happily tracks all levels... I'm disappointed as I believed a shibata would handle sibilance better than an elliptical..

Any thoughts guys??

Lee

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
719 Posts
Silver Member
Answered (Not Verified) Lee replied on Tue, Jun 3 2014 4:15 PM
Suggested by Audio-Retro

Axel is going to change the cartridge for me... 

He's offered any stylus I chose... 

Would i be better going for the nude line stylus with saphire cantilever over the shibata on aluminium? 

I really want to get rid of the sibilance issues, I thought the shibata would do that but evidently not :-(

Please help me decide.

Lee

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,281 Posts
Gold Member

I didn't think Axel could supply the Saphire cantilever option anymore or has this changed?

I wouldn't give up on the Shibata as I'm not sure you can make a valid test with the cantilever being that far off perpendicular!

Dave.

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
719 Posts
Silver Member
Lee replied on Tue, Jun 3 2014 4:39 PM

I'm not sure that he can yet... just waiting for a reply to my email :-)

Would the shibata normally sound better that the line stylus if it was correctly aligned?

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
719 Posts
Silver Member
Lee replied on Tue, Jun 3 2014 4:41 PM

Just been advised it is available.... choices, choices :-/

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,519 Posts
Gold Member

The original MMC2 would have had a ruby cantilever and contact line tip.  I would go with that option. Nothing wrong with a Shibata tip though.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,281 Posts
Gold Member

I'm glad that's available again as I've got about 12 carts to send him!  OMG, my wife will go mental at the thought of all that money on cart repairs. Maybe she won't find out!

Dave.

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
1,106 Posts
Bronze Member

Lee:
shure audio obstacle course lp

'Am familiar with.  If it plays the bass portion at level 5 without breaking up, that would be impressive.  Obstacle course indeed!

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
719 Posts
Silver Member
Lee replied on Tue, Jun 3 2014 8:21 PM

The acutex elliptical stylus on my Hitachi music centre (SDT-400) manages level 5 bass drum no problem... the B&O fails levels 4&5 :-(

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
719 Posts
Silver Member
Lee replied on Tue, Jun 3 2014 9:29 PM

Can anybody with the different stylus profiles give me an idea of what to expect... I've read hundreds of post across the web and my head is spinning.

It's either going to be another shibata, or the nude line on sapphire. What differences can I expect between them?

Please help...

Lee

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
719 Posts
Silver Member
Lee replied on Tue, Jun 3 2014 9:29 PM

Can anybody with the different stylus profiles give me an idea of what to expect... I've read hundreds of post across the web and my head is spinning.

It's either going to be another shibata, or the nude line on sapphire. What differences can I expect between them?

Please help...

Lee

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
719 Posts
Silver Member
Lee replied on Mon, Jun 16 2014 2:18 PM

Just received a replacement mmc2 with nude line stylus on sapphire cantilever from Axel and it sounds incredible... I have never heard records sound this good... and I've heard a lot. The over-sibilant 'essss' issues I've always been plagued with on Vinyl have disappeared completely.

Many thanks Axel!!!

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Atlanta
93 Posts
Founder
Verified by Michael

That's great to hear Lee.  I've also struggled with sibilance issues but thought I may just have to live with it on my setup (MMC3 and MMC2 tried.)

It's good to hear I may not have to live with it.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL