Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Dynamic compression in sound adjustment , what does it means ?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,367 Posts
Bronze Member
olvisab posted on Fri, May 9 2014 6:35 PM
Hi

On my bv7

In the sound adjustment menu, I have the option for Dynamic compression : on or off

Default is off

What happens if I choose on?

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

All Replies

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
650 Posts
Bronze Member

Dynamic compression will make the difference between the soft and loud passages smaller. This generally means that the loud sounds will get quieter and the quiet sounds will get louder, so there is less difference between them. This is particularly useful when, for example, you're listening at night and you don't want a sudden explosion to wake up everyone in the house. It's also useful during parties when you never want the music to get quiet.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

-geoff

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,367 Posts
Bronze Member
Hi geoffrey,

One hour ago I was looking at your funny and brillant presentation of the bv avant on your blog and you answer personnally to my question.

Thanks a lot for your explanations, the energy and the time you spend for answering to us.

The bl 20 are really awesome, pure b&o design, I am sure they sound as good as they look.

Best regards

Olivier

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,988 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, May 10 2014 9:35 AM

It's in many cases what gives you listening fatique from radio channels aimed at the younger people.
They use compression to "sound smart". - Or whatever.
Sounds awful if you ask me.

Martin

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
2,281 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks for that Geoff,  useful for many films where the speaking is quiet but action and music are way too loud (even our 16 year old complains about that) and we have to keep changing the volume on the TV to put up with it.  This should help reduce that then?

By the way, I was at the press launch on behalf of Beoworld in London on Thursday.  Your sound demo on the BeoVision Avant was excellent. Obviously a massive ammont of thought and effort has been put into the '3-channel stereo' concept and application.  Great work.  Many thanks but it's going to now leave me £6,000 lighter!

Dave.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,396 Posts
Bronze Member

You can use or mis-use 'dynamic compression'.

Nowadays it is mostly mis-used!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Scott Needham
Top 500 Contributor
Paris, France
217 Posts
Founder

hello,

i have a bv7-40 mk5. on my sound adjustment menu, i have loudness, but not dynamic compression. could this be a firmware thing ?  thanks !

- scott

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,367 Posts
Bronze Member
Hi

It is into one of the hidden menu :

Menu/option/0/0/go

Or

Menu/option/red arrow/go

In the sound settings you should see this option

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL