Reply To: Why isn’t there “retrofit” parts for vintage B&O stuff?

Dillen
  • Topics Started 2
  • Total Posts 156

Regarding the transformer, it’s simply not possible to make one using an Arduino, a smartphone or a 3D-printer.
Nor is it particularly cheap to have one – or a few – custom produced.
Using a part salvaged from a donor item could be the only feasible way.

The same goes, more or less, for a broken plastic part.
Whereas a plastic part may, or may not, be possible to 3D-print, it may, or most likely may not, end up looking as good as an original part, which could be important in some cases.
In any case it would take time measuring, creating a drawing, doing presumably a couple of test-prints and test fittings, to get the part right.
If it’s a part that breaks fairly often from normal use or wear it will, no doubt, be considered for reproduction by Beoparts-shop (listens and takes notes of all requests and inquiries and never 3D-print anything).
If the part was broken by accident, a used original part may also here be the sensible way as seeing other owners in need of one any time soon would be unlikely.

Complete reproduced circuit boards are rarely needed for the vintage products.
Practically all of the vintage Bang & Olufsen boards can be repaired at component level, and in most cases even the board
itself can be repaired if needed, and again it would be quite costly to develop and produce just a few.
This certainly would be true for boards in almost any modern product, TVs, active speakers and such.

I will not go into discussions about originality, but fitting something “homemade” like f.e. an Arduino in a Beogram would in my
opinion take a lot of the value out of the Beogram.
While the Beogram may end up working for the owner, it may be next to impossible to repair for the next owner or repairshop.
I would hate finding such things inside a Beogram coming in for repairs here, and I would hate having to tell the owner that I cannot help him without fitting back original parts, that would have to come from a scrapped donor.

Martin