Reply To: Good summary about B&O’s descent

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Good summary about B&O’s descent Reply To: Good summary about B&O’s descent

Csaba
BRONZE Member
    • Topics Started 4
    • Total Posts 18

We (our tastes) are on a slow extinction process, the same way horses and carriages lost space to cars.

That too is interesting. How do people consume music these days? What kind of listeners are we?

Do we still connect with being a human? Do the things we do and the way we do them make us feel more connected with senses and less digitally connected?

Who buys cameras and proper lenses for stellar money when all you need is your iPhone? And once you use your phone, don’t you feel like Instagram is just flooded with billions of pictures? As if who cares about photographers, camera makers or photographs? Soon you won’t even need to take pictures, only ask your personal secretary (AI) to make a picture for you based on your description.

I don’t take notes in a diary or note book. Never really have. I’m quick at typing. My hand writing used to be nicer. I would love to but haven’t got the time to read books. It’s more of a life stage, but I still like a physical touch of paper rather than an audio book. I read the other day that experts/scientists suggest that we don’t use headphones as our brain works overtime all the time. We are never calm. The brain loves to be bored sometimes. As in no impulses. To give it a rest. But we keep lifting up our mobile phones. For some, headphones are a way of shutting the world out, and with that the disturbences we do not want.

So back to music. What about vinyl? A small customer segment rediscovering it. Cassettes and CDs too. Streaming? Do you ever get lost? It’s a flow and flood of tracks. Do you bother to actively curate your playlists? For me there is an even bigger problem: I simply cannot find all the music I want in one place. The past 25 years I have actively found ways to go farther and deeper into the jungle, finding music I loved, rather than getting some algorhythm-generated recommendation. Then once found, I purchase and download. That’s about as digital as I care to go. But I must be a very rare breed to get by without using a single music streaming service. I personally also like the imperfection of vinyl. The occasion of interacting with a record player. More so than a cassette or a CD. But even a CD gives you a sense of connection with the artist because you can physically flick through the album cover, photos inside and follow lyrics. Without staring at a screen.

So what about listening to music? My girlfriend is a drummer and a very good vocalist deep inside. Strangely she pretty much never desires to listen to music. Radio and news is what she cares about. For me that is beyond comprehension as I crave good quality music and a sense of a specific mood at least every two days. Therefore from time to time I continue looking for new music that speaks to me.

And when I finally do find new music, I get a different problem. I expect in my genres a certain length of time. A minimum length. However, I know that even music producers move on with times changing. They make less and less music with that same length I was used to 20 years ago when I was 20. Nowadays a track in the same/similar genre is 3 minutes and an extended version is 4. Not 7 or 10. I am barely able to start feeling the mood of a track, before it’s over. It never gets to get under my skin. Even if it has got the potential. Is that short length explained simply with our attention span? Our patience to listen to music? Sometimes I feel like I just wakt to listen to music. Sit down in front of a stereo pair of speakers and just listen for 2 hours straight. It can be so personal and immersive. I owe it to music, to the artists, to myself. But again, who does that these days? I admit, if I had one Balance, I’d be happy. Capable enough to fill my space. Give it the beans and it will make you move and get more into listening. Not only in the background. As such, why need a stereo pair? Because you will know once space transforms music into left and right. What have you missed all these years? But again, who cares these days? Music has always been like my best friend in my whole life. It’s important for me. For most, it’s background noise. Ambience. Care to pay for even a Beosound? Let alone a pair of Labs? Let alone an entire surround and multiroom setup? Let alone up there at the future pricing of 50s and 90s?

And if nothing else, people have got other concerns. Like losing their jobs as nobody is irreplaceable (not even Kristian Teär for that matter). Rising food costs. Rising mortgage costs. The cost of ownership of a car. The geopolitical environment. Climate change. People barely want to have kids any more.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Csaba.