Beosound 5 encore disappointment

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 23 Replies | 3 Followers

g8who
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
g8who posted on Thu, Apr 26 2012 10:56 PM

Sorry for my rant but I was all ready to purchase myself a BS5 encore the other day.  I've read a couple things about it and thought I was ready for it.  When I went to my local dealer to see and purchase it I was very surprised that it didn't have a touch screen!  I know it says nowhere about a touch screen but I took for granted there was(Yes, my bad). Looking at the current design and the current trends I assumed it was touch screen and the wheel was just for volume.  

I think B&O really missed out making this a great must have system.  For almost $4k I really don't think it's very innovative or easy to use.  I appreciate the design and the quality but B&O missed the mark here.  Needless to say I didn't buy one.  

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,734 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) mbee replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 12:44 PM
Verified by dpaws

beocool:
Exactly. Where can I order?

As it's an "invisible" device that you can hide anywhere, it doesn't have to have a B&O logo on it : that's called a Sonos ZP90, and it works flawlessly with any pair of Beolabs. It is superior to the BS5E for some functionnalities like it can be used as a wake-up clock (something that I really would like to have on the Encore), or you can play 2 devices synchornised in multiroom (I'm sure it's scheduled). everything is controlled by an iPad/iPhone interface which is quite cool.

I decided to try the Encore after using a Sonos because MOTS is something I really wanted to simplify my music consumption, because 99,999% of the time, I don't know what I want to listen to! So I give a big push on the wheel, see somethign that I like, play it, and MOTS do the rest. Really cool for background music for a whole day. I like the fact that I optimise my music library (more than 6000 tracks). With Sonos, I finally always listen to the same tracks (my favorite albums, or the more recent), but don't benefit of my library. With Genius (Apple), it's better than Sonos, but a lot of my tracks are not recognised.

I don't think that actually there is ANY perfect system for digital music. All have advantages and drawbacks, and I would really like to have a system that combines all advantages! Apple TV is good, but you have to have a computer running, and other things that I don't like. Sonos is a really good multiroom system for the digital age, but it's perfect only if you always know what you want. BS5 is good as a toy that can display the cover of the album currently being played in your home, and MOTS is really a nice feature, but it lacks of a lot of functionnalities. Linn DS is nice for its compatibility with all type of (HD) tracks, but lacks of a good user interface... And I've not tried Sooloos, which seems way overpriced for what it is (people here always complain about B&O price, but how to justify meridian's prices??)

Having said that, I can't understand people complaining about the BS5 user interface not being a touchscreen : you CAN have a digital music player with a touchscreen totally integrated to a B&O system, so why not buying something that exist and works, instead of critisizing B&O for not following the same product trends as other makes? You have the choice. If B&O is not good, don't buy it, connect an other thing to your system (like I did with Sonos+Beolabs) 

Now about the trends : People didn't complain when B&O released a stupid CD player with only 6CDs in line, which takes a huge space in one's living room (called BS9000), instead of selling a 100CD automatic jukebox like did Sony, Marantz and others... Cool I thought that people were interested in B&O mainly because there products always have something different. Now we are in a world where everybody want an Apple device, but with an high end brand on it... LG just gave me the latest Prada phone : an Android phone with a black&white user interface, and a Prada logo on it. Is that what you want B&O to become?

All Replies

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,734 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) mbee replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 12:44 PM
Verified by dpaws

beocool:

As it's an "invisible" device that you can hide anywhere, it doesn't have to have a B&O logo on it : that's called a Sonos ZP90, and it works flawlessly with any pair of Beolabs. It is superior to the BS5E for some functionnalities like it can be used as a wake-up clock (something that I really would like to have on the Encore), or you can play 2 devices synchornised in multiroom (I'm sure it's scheduled). everything is controlled by an iPad/iPhone interface which is quite cool.

I decided to try the Encore after using a Sonos because MOTS is something I really wanted to simplify my music consumption, because 99,999% of the time, I don't know what I want to listen to! So I give a big push on the wheel, see somethign that I like, play it, and MOTS do the rest. Really cool for background music for a whole day. I like the fact that I optimise my music library (more than 6000 tracks). With Sonos, I finally always listen to the same tracks (my favorite albums, or the more recent), but don't benefit of my library. With Genius (Apple), it's better than Sonos, but a lot of my tracks are not recognised.

I don't think that actually there is ANY perfect system for digital music. All have advantages and drawbacks, and I would really like to have a system that combines all advantages! Apple TV is good, but you have to have a computer running, and other things that I don't like. Sonos is a really good multiroom system for the digital age, but it's perfect only if you always know what you want. BS5 is good as a toy that can display the cover of the album currently being played in your home, and MOTS is really a nice feature, but it lacks of a lot of functionnalities. Linn DS is nice for its compatibility with all type of (HD) tracks, but lacks of a good user interface... And I've not tried Sooloos, which seems way overpriced for what it is (people here always complain about B&O price, but how to justify meridian's prices??)

Having said that, I can't understand people complaining about the BS5 user interface not being a touchscreen : you CAN have a digital music player with a touchscreen totally integrated to a B&O system, so why not buying something that exist and works, instead of critisizing B&O for not following the same product trends as other makes? You have the choice. If B&O is not good, don't buy it, connect an other thing to your system (like I did with Sonos+Beolabs) 

Now about the trends : People didn't complain when B&O released a stupid CD player with only 6CDs in line, which takes a huge space in one's living room (called BS9000), instead of selling a 100CD automatic jukebox like did Sony, Marantz and others... Cool I thought that people were interested in B&O mainly because there products always have something different. Now we are in a world where everybody want an Apple device, but with an high end brand on it... LG just gave me the latest Prada phone : an Android phone with a black&white user interface, and a Prada logo on it. Is that what you want B&O to become?

dpaws
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
dpaws replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 9:41 PM

The MOTS facility for me is a must for all the reasons mentioned before. Maybe you need to have run a media system for a while to understand the short comings and to end up looking for that automatic music selection...

In adopting a B&O server you also inherit a whole load of acoustic compromises but I'm slowly working my way through these, fingers crossed I can get a decent digital output from the Encore either by SPDIF or by USB - and then it'll be a very nice system!

Whilst the Beosound / Beomaster 5 combo does offer a SPDIF, it also compromises the quality of that output by having a hard disk and a fan on board and mediocre clocks (jitter) 

I do feel that the Encore is a half thought out product which neither appeals to the traditional non B&O audiophile nor to those who own the better B&O speakers like the Beolab 5 (digital inputs).

I do hope that one day an iPad/iPod Touch app will offer chair based browsing...

BTW the Sooloos system is very good -but you must chose carefully to find the value. There's the Control 15 all in one (circa £3.5k) which acoustically is pretty good but puts out a whole load of heat (fanless XP embedded), bettered though in all aspects by the MD600/MS600 combination  (£5k?) with the iPad app. Sadly there's no MOTS but there is a focus/swim option where you select the parameters (with custom genres etc) and then the system plays random tracks within those limitations - it does however depend hugely on the effectiveness of the file tagging... Needless to say both systems offer a digital out, although it's disguised as a "speakerlink" which is actually an AES balanced output.

g8who
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
g8who replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 11:04 PM

I seem to have struck a nerve with the the touchscreen comment...LOL.  But what I was trying to convey was that BO missed out on making this a must have system.  I know the BO philosophy of something mechanical but couldn't they have made it touchscreen with a wheel?  It would have made the navigation so much more simplier.  I think they made it different just for the sake of making it different which is not a good thing.  There is a reason so many electronics are touchscreen.....because it WORKS!  If their scroll wheel worked as well or better I would be the first person (actually I would have purchase it) to say so.  Waiting for the salesperson to look for a specific track in the music library was quite embarrassing cuz it took so long.   

Also not having a digital output for my BL5s was another annoyance....but that's for another thread...haha.  

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
854 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 11:19 PM
I have my iPod touch on a generic dock connected to the tape 2 input of my BS5000 and control it from my iPhone using Tango. Works like a charm and even displays the album art on both iPod and the iPhone.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

peria
Top 200 Contributor
321 Posts
Bronze Member
peria replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 2:33 AM

Apple TV does not require a PC, MAC, or NAS to serve your 25,000 song music collection. With ATV2 and iTunes Match, all you need is an internet connection. You can control your entire listening experience using one or more Apple touch device throughout the house if that's what you want.

Does it have the feel of the Encore, MOTS, highest quality digital files? Certainly not. However, if you buy an ATV2 ($99), and iPad ($499), iTunes Match ($250, that's $25 per year for 10 years), and a life time supply of screen cleaners, you're still ahead by about $1,000.

Oh, and BTW, you can also watch video (movies and podcast), see your pictures on your Beovision, and also mirror the iPad to your TV. I though I would use Airplay less than I actually do. 

I love the look and feel of the Encore, but just cannot justify it. Again, I'm clearly not the customer they're looking for; though this does not mean that I'm still not wanting more new B&O.

Silou
Top 200 Contributor
Switzerland
430 Posts
Bronze Member
Silou replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 7:24 PM

My iPad is connected to my Ouverture AUX input and with the revoxbeo interface i can control it with the BEO4. Easy and efficient!

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
247 Posts
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 9:43 PM

beocool:

amazon.com in the US for most of their products.

danezro
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Founder
danezro replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 10:12 PM
g8who:

I seem to have struck a nerve with the the touchscreen comment...LOL. But what I was trying to convey was that BO missed out on making this a must have system. I know the BO philosophy of something mechanical but couldn't they have made it touchscreen with a wheel? It would have made the navigation so much more simplier. I think they made it different just for the sake of making it different which is not a good thing. There is a reason so many electronics are touchscreen.....because it WORKS! If their scroll wheel worked as well or better I would be the first person (actually I would have purchase it) to say so. Waiting for the salesperson to look for a specific track in the music library was quite embarrassing cuz it took so long.

Also not having a digital output for my BL5s was another annoyance....but that's for another thread...haha.

Just a quick point, the BEO5 has a wheel and a touch screen, nobody ever thinks to touch the screen; nobody who comes to my house can pick it up and just use it. Granted the screen is smaller than the BS5 but there seems to be little continuity of philosophy.
bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
4,770 Posts
Bronze Member

beocool:

PhilLondon:

The whole issue with the Beosound 5 concept is not that it's got a touch screen or not, it is that it HAS a screen.

It has been for the last 30 years that you only stand up from you couch and access you music player only to load a media (Tape, CD, Disc), and then you go back to your couch and control it with your remote.

As there is no media to load, there shouldn't be anything, only a black box you hide somewhere... and a 2 way remote control you carry with you.

My friend;

apple.com (mac mini and ipad)

&

TCelectronics.com (impact twin)

Cool

Too long to list.... 

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL