Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beosystem 1 US setup menu gone - pls help

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 0 Followers

CheapB
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member
CheapB posted on Fri, Dec 6 2013 5:10 AM

My beosystem 1 has "lost" the setup of the external sources. I am only using the Beosystem to route audio and is normally not using the video. to get the setup back i connected a VGA monitor, but when I hit menu I just get a black screen instead of the system menu. any ideas? I have done this in the past with no problems, when the sources were set to generic NTSC (or something like that) 

Thanks in advance, 

Jim

All Replies

CheapB
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by expoman

Noone else still running a beosystem 1? I got some of my sources up and running again by blndly select external sources by hitting menu, 6, error keys and go. but I am still stuck without TV sound.. :-(

expoman
Top 500 Contributor
176 Posts
Bronze Member

Sounds like the US box module in the BS 1 has failed.

CheapB
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member

it is strange - I can see the source and if i change the volume, but when i select the menu, the screen goes dark. do you still think the US box is bad?

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
590 Posts
Bronze Member

Sounds like the classic tell tale symptoms of the US box failing. Time to call service. 

Ah, you know... A little B&O here, a little there 

CheapB
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member

well, that is annoying as I only have had it for 9 months. I doubt it will be cost effective to get it looked at or fixed.

Thanks all for the response.

Jim 

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,828 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by beojeff

I seem to recall something similar with my BeoSystem 1. As I recall, I had to remove all of the speakers assigned in the sound menu (on the menu - not physically) and then add the speakers back to the menu - first starting with the front speakers, testing the sound, and then adding the rear speakers.

You might also check that your monitor/tv is set only to 480p in order to do the setup. Remember that the BeoSystem 1 only sends video out as 480p and 1080i. I think that the menu overlay is always in 480p (I could be mistaken). If your monitor has the settings to do this, you might deselect 480i and 720p as possible resolutions. Do the same on your video source (such as dvd player). I remember that the Playstation 3 was notoriously difficult to setup on a BeoSystem 1 because of how it required a 480i signal for the initial setup. It's helpful to have a second tv to setup the dvd player or other video source before connecting it to the BeoSystem 1.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,828 Posts
Bronze Member

BTW, there are certain Samsung blu-ray players that are impossible to use with the BeoSystem 1. This is because the main menu of the blu-ray player always defaults back to 480i and thus loses the signal connection with the BeoSystem 1.

CheapB
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member

so i let the Beosystem 1 stay on with the menu selected for a period of time and suddenly the menu came on a second at a time and then gone again. this pattern repeated - off for 5-10 seconds and then on for 1 sec. with this I was able to put the external sources back in again, so the audio inputs became active again, so it is working for now - at least until next time... 

I did try 2 different monitors, As mentioned I am only using the audio part - not even the PUC. I am using lintronic for the remote control.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,828 Posts
Bronze Member

If you were interested in using the PUC, it might be useful to know that if you find a programmable HDMI switcher, you can have the BeoSystem 1 handle switching the HDMI inputs by having the switcher learn the Zektor switch IR triggers. I once found a Monster HDMI switch that could learn IR commands and it handled this beautifully.

CheapB
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes, I looked into the Monster HDMI Switch. The main reasons I am not using the PUC are : 1) it is not flexible enough. For example I am using V.AUX for an audio source with toslink and when I select V.AUX I need the source to change and the speaker to go to Stereo, so I need 3 commands to be fired. I have not found a way to have the number of speakers set  by source by default. 2) I like to be able to control my system from my iphone and the Lintronic box is very easy to interface with. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL