rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 3 Followers

gordon95th
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
gordon95th posted on Sun, Nov 17 2013 2:04 PM

Gentlemen,

I am new to this forum but have owned and admired B&O equipment since the early 70's. I just purchased at auction a Beo 1900 with 2 CX50 speakers, the appearance is great ! 9 out of 10! As far as functioning, it powers on (Standby Light on) and when any of the functions are pressed it seems to power up and imediately shuts down back to standby. Any suggestions? All the lights seem to work and it does the same for all the functions FM, Tape , Phono.   I assume one of the responses will be to replace all the Caps. I will need to know where and who I an get a kit from.

Thanks

John

All Replies

John Francis
Top 500 Contributor
USA
132 Posts
Silver Member

Hello and welcome to Beoworld. I just did a complete restoration of a BM 1900 earlier this year. First I suggest you get in contact with Martin who also goes by Dillen and is on the forums here. He has a kit which includes capacitors, lamps and other parts you will need. Even if the lamps are all working it might be a good idea to replace them along with the caps while you have it opened up and they would then be all the same age and to original specs. Martin is very knowledgeable and he along with many others have helped me with my restoration project with comments and advice. A search in the Work bench and Vintage forums will bring up those posts and others on the BM 1900 and related 2400. Most likely you will find that one or all of the balance, bass and treble sliding controls will need rebuilding if you are not getting sound in one channel or the other, this is quite common. There is a plastic mount that hold metal contacts that deteriorates with age.

Good luck and glad to see you are bring one of the classic Beomasters back to life.

John

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,844 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 4:30 PM

Check the solder joints of the four large output stage transistors.
Check the DC voltage on the outputs.
Replace caps.

Martin

Armbored
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Silver Member

Hello Martin,

I have been restoring turntables for a few years and someone has given me a Beogram and Beomaster 1900 to try and rescue.  The Beogram I have tinkered with and cleaned up, more or less happy with it, but sometimes when you start it up, it plays at a ridiculously fast speed, like a 78!  If you press the 45 or 33 switch, it recovers the speed and continues on it's way quite merrily.  Any ideas?  Anyone?

The main reason I am writing is that there are several issues with the Beomaster which seem to be quite common according to this forum; volume fluctuations, no bass etc.  Are you still supplying a kit to overhaul the 1900?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance,

Regards,

Mike

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,844 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Feb 10 2016 3:16 PM

Are you sure, that this is indeed a Beogram 1900 and not a 1902 ?
It's a known problem with the DC servo motor models (1902) but not with the AC motor models (1900).
The cure (for the 1902 a.o.) is to replace the belt. The old belt slips on the motor pulley, the motor then accellerates too easy,
allowing the electronics to sync at twice the normal speed.

Martin

Armbored
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Silver Member

Martin,

I'm talking nonsense, sorry.... It's a 2200, I just checked. Is this a common problem with those?

Regards

Mike

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,844 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Feb 10 2016 5:38 PM

Yes, exactly as I described above.
I can supply a new correct belt - email me.

Martin

Mikedutch
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi all, I'm new here.

Became a vintage B&O lover a year ago when I got a Beogram 4004 my uncle bought at a garage sale for €1. Repaired its mechanics and hooked it up. Delighted by its ideosyncracy both inside and out. Completed the Jacob Jensen set with a Beomaster 1900  and a set Beovox S45 speakers. 

Everything was fine until I decided to repair the bass slider which didn't work but didn't bother me. Unsoldered and glued all three sliders as per instructions found here. But now I had this nasty, difficult to pinpoint problem of the 1900 falling back to standby after the relay clicks whrn touching a selector button. I thought I had introduced a short out in one of the sliders and indeed found one caused by too much solder on two adjacent contacts. Corrected that. Still only standby. 

I'm tearing my hair out now because I'm kicked in the butt by the proverb: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I was more than happy without the functioning bass slider. 

To make a long story short...the 1900 is now completely taken apart and waiting for caps replacement. Many of the red ones have yellow crust. (Will contact you about that, Martin)

My problem is that even if I replace these parts there is no guarantee that the 1900 will work again. I have no electronics skills or knowledge but I can deliver a tidy soldering job. And I can use a multimeter if told where to put it and what to check. But that's about where my possibilities to repair the 1900 end. 

Do you guys think I'm up to the task of getting my 1900 back to life again or should I let go?

Thanks, Michel

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,844 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Apr 17 2017 8:46 PM

Check the solder joints of the output stage transistors.
They are known to crack from vibrations.

Due to the material and the lubrication method, glueing the broken potetiometer sliders will hardly ever be a lasting solution.
Instead, replacement parts for the broken potentiometer sliders are available.

Martin

Mikedutch
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks, Martin. Are those the ones connected to the heat sinks?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,844 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Apr 18 2017 7:51 AM

Yes.

.. ?

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL