This post has 128 Replies | 7 Followers

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

Allright then - I'll have to give in, then ;-(

A bit sad, though!

Even if I did not use it much, I - as a Spotify user - was glad to have it there.

Does anyone know the exact reason/s for removing it - what does Spotify gain?

Was the interface changed (new protocol used or similar) and this could not be supported from the SmartTV platform of those tv's???

P.S. Googling gives you nothing but this:

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/bang-olufsen/

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

Marcello:

Good riddance. Using Spotify on the BV11 makes me want to throw the remote control st the screen every single time. Even my Mini in-car system has a better implementation. 

Probably you 'work with' playlists (and there lies the problem).

I never - I use the search function to get to the artist/album, I want to listen to.

Just tested the app on my V1 - it works as smooth as always.

MM

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Thu, Apr 6 2017 10:57 PM
Millemissen:

I never - I use the search function to get to the artist/album, I want to listen to.

MM

Come May 2017 it will no longer work as it does today.
beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,781
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 12:28 AM

Those of us with a BeoSound 5 have been frustrated with Spotify for months. The playlists no longer appear on the BeoSound 5. Spotify "claims" they are working on this, but it's been months. All B&O needs to do is replace Spotify with Deezer on the BeoSound 5 and I'd switch to Deezer instantly.

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 201
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Marcello:

Good riddance. Using Spotify on the BV11 makes me want to throw the remote control st the screen every single time. Even my Mini in-car system has a better implementation. 

MM

Your assumption is correct. I use playlists a lot, just starring songs is not enough and search is too slow in my experience. When Spotify switched to playlists the BV app was never updated. And that is what bothers me, that B&O did not keep up and left us with "half an app".

gysse2004
Top 500 Contributor
Hellerup
Posts 176
Bronze Member

Agree with Beojeff, implementation of Deezer on BS5, BV11 etc would be great. Would change in a heartbeat..

Peter

Beovision eclipse 65, Beolab 50, Beolab 18, Beovision 11, Beolab 3, Beolab 2, BeoVision 10, MLGW, BeoLink converter Nl/Ml, Beosound 5, BLGW

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 157
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 8:32 AM

I am a big fan of Spotify, but have always been disappointed in the V1 / Beo11 implementation. 

I don't want to control everything with my Beo4 remote, it is slow and ineffective. I want to use my smartphone via Spotify Connect. It is much easier to find what you are looking in the mobile interface. 

So I wont be sad to see it leave. 

At the moment I'm using Chromecast and it fulfill all my wishes for music streaming. It works seamlessly with Spotify Connect and gives a ton of extra functionality besides Spotify. 

Beoplay V1 with Beo4, Beolab 14.4 and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A2, A9mki (w/ Chromecast Audio), H2, H3, H8.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,415
Gold Member
Duels replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 9:11 AM
beojeff:

Those of us with a BeoSound 5 have been frustrated with Spotify for months. The playlists no longer appear on the BeoSound 5. Spotify "claims" they are working on this, but it's been months. All B&O needs to do is replace Spotify with Deezer on the BeoSound 5 and I'd switch to Deezer instantly.

+1
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,798
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 10:32 AM

from what i am told Spotify have changed something, in that they want to push their playlists much more front and centre.....something about the way this hs been done has messed up users Spotify playlists on connected devices......i can be got around with the right software to do some error correction, and not clear the BV's have it, whereas a Moment probably could, if the issue had affected that device for example.......not that familiar with the BS5, so can't really comment as to whether it can be modded to bring back the old experience.....

gysse2004
Top 500 Contributor
Hellerup
Posts 176
Bronze Member
gysse2004 replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 10:39 AM

The question is, to what extent does Bang&Olufsen want to go to, to solve the issue?

clealy the Deezer implementation will require some work.

Beovision eclipse 65, Beolab 50, Beolab 18, Beovision 11, Beolab 3, Beolab 2, BeoVision 10, MLGW, BeoLink converter Nl/Ml, Beosound 5, BLGW

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

Mikael:

So I wont be sad to see it leave. 

Just don't use it, if you don't like/need it - that is simple.

You could even remove it from thesource list, if it disturbs you.

Personally I don't give a damn about playlists.

Searching for for an artist/album with the remote/app keyboard isn't that hard - next search would be in approx 50 minutes - - I can live with that ;-)

That said, I'd prefer Spotify Connect support on the tv's - and multiroom support for that, too ;-))))

P.S. I really don't suppose, that there will be any effords for the BS5 - after all it is a discontinoued and old product.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

w5bno123:

Come May 2017 it will no longer work as it does today.

Your answer is somehow cryptic.

Does that mean, that it will still work - just not like today???

MM

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,415
Gold Member
Duels replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 12:49 PM
Millemissen:

P.S. I really don't suppose, that there will be any effords for the BS5 - after all it is a discontinoued and old product.

MM

Well perhaps you should give up on your V1 as it too is an old discontinued product.
gysse2004
Top 500 Contributor
Hellerup
Posts 176
Bronze Member

I tend to agree, `Bang & Olufsen is not just your average  `AV company. To a certain extent, thay will have to support even the older products. Otherwise we will lose confidence in their support, even in the newer products, and look elsewhere.

Peter

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,798
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 1:49 PM

and thats the difficulty these days....especially when third party services can disappear off a product....

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 586
Bronze Member
The Spotify app on the BV's is supplied by Spotify. They no longer want to support an older version of their app. The decision rests with Spotify to pull the app from being supported. Other TV manufacturers will have he same problem. You should never buy a TV based on integrated apps, use an external box so you can always overcome any issue out of control of the consumer. Plus you can distribute it. Big SmileCool

Ah, you know... A little B&O here, a little there 

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,798
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 1:53 PM

completely agree.....not everyone likes external boxes, but as we can see, they will always will unavoidable......

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,415
Gold Member
Duels replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 1:59 PM
That's a fair point. But what about people who bought a BS5 fairly recently, with Spotify streaming in mind?
Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 520
Bronze Member
For me, it would be welcome, now that B&O has a viable in-house software team, for them to tackle a BS 5 Spotify update.

This would go mikes to reassuring that B&O doesn't abandon its customers with software issues, and would be consistent with their legacy commitments in ML, MCL and the like.

Barry
BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 586
Bronze Member

Unfortunately, the same is true for the BS5. The Spotify team does not want to keep pouring resources into a product on Windows XP. The work around would be to connect a dongle to the Aux in to restore the feature, albeit not ideal, but the product will continue to work as intended. 

The days of ML/MCL hardware lasting forever in relevance are not the same as the days of SW driven machines. Back then things just didn't change as fast as they do now. Again, not ideal, but it is something we must accept. The hardware is still performing as it should, but our SW needs are constantly changing beyond what the original spec'd hardware can handle/support.  

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

Your answer is somehow cryptic.

Does that mean, that it will still work - just not like today???

MM

MM The Spotify app will no longer be supported by Spotify and will therefore be removed from the BV11, V1 and BS4 platforms completely in May 2017.

I also suspect this will be the same for the BS5, just need an announcement from Spotify. I personally would connect a Chromecast product into the A.aux input to provide ultimate flexibility and the added ability to use other providers. B&O cannot support a legacy piece of software for ever and if Spotify themselves are pulling the plug then that's the end of that.
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,415
Gold Member
Duels replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 4:22 PM
w5bno123:

MM The Spotify app will no longer be supported by Spotify and will therefore be removed from the BV11, V1 and BS4 platforms completely in May 2017.

I also suspect this will be the same for the BS5, just need an announcement from Spotify. I personally would connect a Chromecast product into the A.aux input to provide ultimate flexibility and the added ability to use other providers. B&O cannot support a legacy piece of software for ever and if Spotify themselves are pulling the plug then that's the end of that.

I wonder how long B&O have deezer contracted/licensed for the Moment.
gysse2004
Top 500 Contributor
Hellerup
Posts 176
Bronze Member

Valid point Duels, one could argue that the next product in line is the Moment. But if Deezer decided to pull their software support on B&O, you would be in the same mess again.

Peter

gysse2004
Top 500 Contributor
Hellerup
Posts 176
Bronze Member

Valid point Duels, one could argue that the next product in line is the Moment. But if Deezer decided to pull their software support on B&O, you would be in the same mess again.

Peter

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,781
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 5:13 PM

It was just a week ago that I was talking with someone at B&O tech support about the Spotify issue. He expressed his frustration and said that B&O have been trying for months to get Spotify to work with them for a solution. He said that Spotify has not been returning their calls.

I had never even heard of Spotify until it was offered as a supported feature on my BeoSound 5. Since B&O is wiling to work on a software solution if Spotify would cooperate with them, it indicates B&O's willingness to still support the BeoSound 5. I think B&O would be sending the proper message to Spotify by offering support for one of Spotify's competitors if Spotify is no longer willing to cooperate.

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,169
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 5:23 PM

gysse2004:

Peter

This is indeed a very valuable point, I already mentioned in the new SHAPE thread.

You would wonder if the best option not would be to use an Android tablet or iPad to stream to a B&O system. Freedom to choose yourself any of your favorite apps for streaming to Airplay or Chromecast or whatever possibility B&O gives us for input.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 586
Bronze Member
The reason B&O use Deezer for the Moment etc. is beside better re-distribution is they actually let B&O interact and control the experience which is the opposite from what Spotify wants. With Deezer, B&O aren't using Deezer SW, but rather interacting as we want with the service. With Spotify it's their way or he highway and using their app. That's why you don't see it integrated in the BeoMusic app, you have to revert to their app to do anything. As long as Deezer has that mindset, it won't go anywhere.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

Duels:
Millemissen:

MM

Well perhaps you should give up on your V1 as it too is an old discontinued product.

I knew that one would come ;-)

However you are wrong - and it won't you out of the fact, that the BS5 is old!

B&O is still selling the BV11-46, which - as you very well know - is built on the same platform as is the V1/a NL-compatible product.

No reason to get rid of a V1 - not having the Spotify app there is a minor loss.

A lot of hose, who have the BS5, seem to have it mostly because of the current integrated Spotify.

Loosing that would mean loosing the main source of it.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

gysse2004:

I tend to agree, `Bang & Olufsen is not just your average  `AV company. To a certain extent, thay will have to support even the older products. Otherwise we will lose confidence in their support, even in the newer products, and look elsewhere.

Peter

Not saying, that they won't - how would I know!

Just saying, that I don't suppose, that they will.

To me it seems, that B&O has moved on - and has enough other problems with the software of the current products.

MM

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,415
Gold Member
Duels replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 6:55 PM
Millemissen:

I knew that one would come ;-)

However you are wrong - and it won't you out of the fact, that the BS5 is old!

B&O is still selling the BV11-46, which - as you very well know - is built on the same platform as is the V1/a NL-compatible product.

No reason to get rid of a V1 - not having the Spotify app there is a minor loss.

A lot of hose, who have the BS5, seem to have it mostly because of the current integrated Spotify.

Loosing that would mean loosing the main source of it.

MM

That's true. But say they stopped selling everything on that platform tomorrow. How would you feel if half the functionality of your V1 disappeared in a few months time as it has for BS5 users. To be fair Spotify is a more significant part of an audio system than it is part of a tv.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

Duels:

That's true. But say they stopped selling everything on that platform tomorrow. How would you feel if half the functionality of your V1 disappeared in a few months time as it has for BS5 users. To be fair Spotify is a more significant part of an audio system than it is part of a tv.

I don't think you can compare this.

The BS5 was launched loooong time ago and is part of a ML-multiroom setup.

B&O has left ML long ago - kindly serving long-time-costumers with a converter to make the best of it, when buying new NL-products.

The V1 - on the other hand - is based on the recent multiroom platform.

That said - actually my V1 has already partly stopped working....

....as I am using DVB-t for tv viewing.

Being located at the danish-german border I can not receive the german tv programmes anymore.

In Germany they have just switched to a HEVC-based DVB-t standart (DVB-T2HD.

Not that I am viewing much german tv, but I'd have to buy/connect an external device for it.

Things are moving fast nowadays!

MM

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
Let's not forget the BS5 was launched without Spotify about 8-9 years ago. Spotify was then introduced about 1-2 years as an add-on into a Windows XP platform which is no longer supported by Windows....
beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,781
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 8:06 PM

The BeoSound 5 was only just recently discontinued. A huge part of the appeal of B&O to me is that they build products that will last for many years -- often even decades, become iconic, and retain some value when sold on the second hand market. One could hardly be expected to pay $7,000 for a music system that would be expected to be replaced in a couple of years in favor of an NL-based system. I love both of my BeoSound 5 players (yes, I love it so much that I now have two). The Spotify interface on it is outstanding in that it has the same ergonomic structure as the rest of the BeoSound 5 interface. I would be just as happy to use that same interface with any other music service such as Deezer or Apple Music.

gysse2004
Top 500 Contributor
Hellerup
Posts 176
Bronze Member

Spot on Beojeff, my thoughts exactly!

Peter

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 586
Bronze Member

Not sure when you actually bought your BS5, but B&O officially discontinued the product in 2011. I would say 6 years of service after discontinuation is quite a special feat for a manufacturer. The product was born in 2008, almost ten years of continual patch repair and development is more that you will get from any other audio manufacturer. I know it still hurts in your situation as you have 2 though. Sad

Market
Type number
BeoSound 5
Type number
BeoMaster 5
Intro year
Last sold
End of service
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belgium, Botswana, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Czech Repub., Denmark, Egypt, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Holland, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Morocco, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovak Rep., Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden,
Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, UK, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay,

(Nov. 08)
Q1 09

1753: Aug 2011

Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan, USA
Q1 09

1754:
Aug 2011

China

1755: Aug 2011

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

gysse2004:

Spot on Beojeff, my thoughts exactly!

Peter

Spotify/BS5 (windows xp)

This is what I could find:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Windows-XP-Support-Announcement/td-p/1277585

Please note the comments too.

Not quite clear, but it seems, that it could work for a while - just won't get any updates....but for how long?

The problems with the playlists aren't solved as of now, or?

Means that this would be an issue anyway.

I wasn't able to find out, whether Deezer actually could run on a WinXP-based system - who has an XP-pc nowadays to test that?

Probably it would require an installed third-party browser to run???

How that could be integrated in the BS5 overlay/user interface, I have no idea.

MM

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
beojeff:

The BeoSound 5 was only just recently discontinued. A huge part of the appeal of B&O to me is that they build products that will last for many years -- often even decades, become iconic, and retain some value when sold on the second hand market. One could hardly be expected to pay $7,000 for a music system that would be expected to be replaced in a couple of years in favor of an NL-based system. I love both of my BeoSound 5 players (yes, I love it so much that I now have two). The Spotify interface on it is outstanding in that it has the same ergonomic structure as the rest of the BeoSound 5 interface. I would be just as happy to use that same interface with any other music service such as Deezer or Apple Music.

I found the Spotify interface on the BS5 very clunky and the search feature was unusable. There are very good solutions to keep Spotify alive on the BS5 the Spotify way.
beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,781
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 11:04 PM

I do think that the point of my message has been misunderstood. I truly do feel that B&O has been making an effort to fix this issue. However, it has been Spotify that has not been cooperating. I had never even heard of Spotify until B&O introduced me to it. B&O embraced and supported Spotify; yet now it seems that Spotify doesn't even care.

Let's not forget that the BeoSound 5 was one of the most expensive music systems ever made by B&O. It's still pretty amazing.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,781
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Apr 7 2017 11:11 PM

It might be useful to know that we CAN still assign results from our searches (albums, artists, tracks, etc.) to our favorites on the BeoSound 5 and access them that way. The BeoSound 5 has the unique feature of letting us trigger favorites with BLGW macros. For example, I have a JAMES BOND macro that starts the James Bond theme which is assigned as a Spotify favorite on the BeoSound 5 when pressing the BOND button an a Lutron RadioRa 2 wall keypad.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,781
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sun, Apr 9 2017 5:44 PM

UPDATE: Today, I power-cycled my BeoSound 5. All of my Spotify playlists magically reappeared. I can't tell if this is a permanent fix or just temporary.

Page 3 of 4 (129 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL