rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 146 Replies | 4 Followers

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,142 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor posted on Sun, Sep 8 2013 10:35 PM

The final piece for my 8000 system will hopefully be this Beocord 9000. It appeared to be working except for fast forward. Opening it up though, I found a broken leaf spring for the cassette mechanism on the left side. Without the leaf spring the Beocord is still able to play a cassette and rewind. On fast forward I can hear the click of the solenoid but nothing happens.

This will be the first tape deck I have worked on so I hope there are experts out there that can guide me. I do have a hard copy of the service manual and have started to read through it. I don't know if the broken part has anything to do with the fast forward not working but even if it doesn't, it will need fixing. One problem I see is that the broken part is supposed to be pressing down on a small bearing. That bearing is long gone. I have Beocords 8000 and 8004 that I can salvage parts from. I have one 8004 that does work but has some display segments out so I won't use that one as I would like to repair it as well.

All Replies

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,142 Posts
Gold Member

Another thing to consider in doing a full restore is the condition of the 3V Lithium battery. Especially if I end up selling this unit...I will want to make sure the battery is good. Like my recent Beomaster 5000 that had a soldered in Lithium battery, I will clip the battery leads instead of de-soldering the battery to avoid any explosive mishaps. That will be later though.

There is one cosmetic issue with this Beocord. A nasty  scratch on the top aluminum piece.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,267 Posts
Gold Member

Nasty scratch John, and impossible to polish or sand out, it will just make it worse, I have tried everything on these but until now found nothing that does it.

An interesting thread as always from you, when I finish my BL/BM 5000, we will have to talk a little about a BG 4002/4.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,142 Posts
Gold Member

Søren Mexico:

Nasty scratch John, and impossible to polish or sand out, it will just make it worse, I have tried everything on these but until now found nothing that does it.

An interesting thread as always from you, when I finish my BL/BM 5000, we will have to talk a little about a BG 4002/4.

Sure thing Søren. You know I always like talking about Beogram 4000 - 4004 turntables.
Regarding this Beocord, yes, I think it is best to just leave the scratch alone. These Beocord 9000 and 8004 series might be my favorite B&O cassette decks to work on now.

John

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,829 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Mon, Aug 24 2015 8:53 AM

Looking forward to the battery solution John! Re-calibrating every time won't be necessary when that's done! 

Jacques

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,142 Posts
Gold Member

No need to wait for me to fix mine Jacques, Beolover posted some nice pictures of the repair on his blog.

John

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,829 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Mon, Aug 24 2015 8:55 PM

Oh, I missed that one!

Thanks!

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,267 Posts
Gold Member

Beolover is living in his own Beoworld, and we just love it Big Smile, the 3D printing pioneer work he is doing is also very interesting and important for all of us vintage lovers.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,142 Posts
Gold Member

I connected this latest Beocord 9000 to a spare Beosystem for a recording test. The source was a Beogram 8002 with an MMC2 cartridge connected to a Beomaster 6000. I used a TDK SA-X100 cassette to record a couple of records (Ten Years After "Stonedhenge" and "Ten Years After"). I always liked Alvin Lee (sorry when he passed away a couple of years back). Fortunately I saw Ten Years After live a couple of times in the seventies.

I first ran a record calibration on the tape and the Beocord made an excellent recording. The more I use these decks the more I like them. As my Nakamichi Dragon ages these newly serviced Beocord 9000 decks may take over top spot in my collection. The SC80 cabinet in the picture is the first one I acquired. I replaced it with a better one that didn't have sun fading to the rosewood. Some day I need to take this cabinet apart and try to bring back some color.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,142 Posts
Gold Member

I was so pleased with the performance of this new Beocord 9000 that I moved in with one of my main systems. It is now paired with my original Beogram 4002 (I purchased it in July 1978) and my original Beogram 8002 (purchased in December 1983). The rest of the components are Yamaha (C2a preamp, MX1000 power amp, T-2 tuner, S2300 SACD/DVD/CD and NS1000M speakers). This system really sounds good and I will likely keep this group of components together for a while.

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
866 Posts
Silver Member
ALF replied on Sun, Feb 10 2019 9:08 AM

Hello John,

while waiting for my BM8000 donor unit there was t8me to work on my BC8004 .....thank you for your great pictures and inspiration.

now the FF ist working again 😁

one question in particular bugs me: looking at this picture of the drive there is a spring fitted on the outside which seems to have no purpose at all

as it does not connect to any swaying, turning or otherwise moving parts ??

I’d love to know what its purpose is - do you have any understanding/idea of that one ?

thanks

ALF

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,142 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Alf,

I believe that is just a spare spring.

John

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
866 Posts
Silver Member
ALF replied on Mon, Feb 11 2019 12:59 AM

Thanks John,

my thought precisely - probably only reserved for loyal B&O customers, spending more than $5K 🙄😁 at any one time

ALF

Page 10 of 10 (147 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL