rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 2 Followers

rimanverma
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
rimanverma posted on Tue, Aug 6 2013 12:25 PM

Hi All,

I have a beovision 7 40" TV to which I'd like to connect Apple TV.  I do have Sky HD plugged in via the DVI connector but I'd like to begin using Apple TV via the HDMI cable if possible.  I have spoken with B&O and they have provided a very over the top solution costing > £1,000. 

I thought it wise to put this to the expert community.  I welcome your feedback / suggestions.

Riman

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,944 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Riman,

seems that you have a BV7 pre MK3.

If the DVI is already occupied, it will be difficult.

I suppose your BV7 has already been made 'HD Ready'??

Do you use a PUC solution for the SKY receiver?

What kind of solution has your dealer suggested?

It might be possible to use a HDMI/DVI swtch/sound input switch, and manually select between the two digital sources - but that would be unpractical for daily use.

There are HDMI to scart converters out there. They do work properly, but don't expect too much of the picture quality.

For sound/AirPlay it could be suffiicient though.

P.S. If you are not 'addicted' to your BV7-40, you might consider a V1-40 in the long run.

It has all the connections (and more) you might whish for....

....rather than throwing £1000 into your 'old mate' 😉

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

claudiu
Top 500 Contributor
copenhagen
186 Posts
Bronze Member

product info.php?cPath=31 33&products id=3299

This may be a cheaper solution for you.

you can use Atlona or gafen but are more expensive

rimanverma
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Millemissen for your reply.  The solution below is what has been suggested by B&O.

You will need:

·         Gefen TV 4 in-1 out HDMI switcher (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtv-hdmi1.3-441n.jsp?prod_id=9556)

·         Software IC update for your BeoVision 7 TV to accommodate Gefen TV switch

·         Optical to Digital Convertor box for audio from Apple TV

·         HDMI cable X 2

·         IR repeater cable X 1

·         Optical cable X 1

·         Co-axial digital cable X 1

·         Bracket system from STB to house Sky HD box, Apple TV and Gefen TV units at the rear for the TV (http://www.stbbrackets.co.uk/downloads/STB-Brochure-2013.pdf). A new Sky bracket is recommended if your Sky HD box is placed within a bracket mounted at the back of the TV stand upright rather than to the side.

I am not that technical so am struggling with what to do ....

Mark
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,061 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Aug 6 2013 2:02 PM

If you can wait a few days I can let you know how I have got on with my BV7/32 MKIII:

I've ordered:

HDMi/DVi converter from Sounds Heavenly (for the pictures)

Lindy SPDIF Digital to Analogue Splitter (to carry the sound)

Optical, HDMI & audio cables

I do like the look of the STB bracket but may try velco as the splitter & Apple TV box are super light and small.

I could of bought a TV a 1/3 of the price that had all teh connections as standard, but where is the fun in that when you have something so beautiful to look at.

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

rimanverma
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Mark,

That would be great; I'd really appreciate knowing how you got on as this approach may work for me too.

I also agree with your last line. I am loathed to trade this beautiful TV in for a run of the mill Samsung / Sony.

Best
Riman 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,944 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Riman,

that solution is round'a'bout what I mentioned (HDMI/DVI switch....).

Surely you can save a little using the switch suggested from claudio, and letting away the bracket system - and by doing it yourself!

But all in all it is a lot of money for an (sorry for that) old tv.

So - If you are pleased with the tv, the picture and the sound, for you it might be worth it.

Note: your only gain is the AppleTV!

I would go for a modern B&O tv - and keep the BV7-40 for another room - with an Apple AirPort Express for AirPlaying music connected to it.

Would be interesting to hear what your dealer would pay for the BV7-40, if you would buy a V1 (or another newer BV) instead of making that £1000 solution.

Greetings Millemissen

Jonathan
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
1,803 Posts
Bronze Member

MM,

maybe he'd just prefer to keep the TV he has! Not everyone has a spare few thousand to buy a new TV whenever they want. Also consider that the OP has already invested many thousands in to his current TV, and doesn't want to or can't afford to just consign it to the spare room!

I think a solution for his current TV is what he, and it seems quite a few others, are looking for.... Yes - thumbs up 

x:________________________

Griebel
Top 200 Contributor
344 Posts
Gold Member
I have onve tried the solution (Gefen etc.) proposed by B&O on a 7-32 with DVI only. It works perfectly, and you can use your B&O remote. Not the least, it switches automatically.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,944 Posts
Bronze Member

Jonathan:

MM,

maybe he'd just prefer to keep the TV he has! Not everyone has a spare few thousand to buy a new TV whenever they want. Also consider that the OP has already invested many thousands in to his current TV, and doesn't want to or can't afford to just consign it to the spare room!

I think a solution for his current TV is what he, and it seems quite a few others, are looking for.... Yes - thumbs up 

Riman wrote "I welcome your feedback / suggestions".

That is what he has got from me.

I am quite sure he will be able to pick out the feedback/suggestion that suits him and his needs and his 'moneybag'.

Grrr! MM

berlin2010
Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Bronze Member
I used the Gefen switch when I still had the 7-40 along with M Audio optical to coax (spdif) converter for sound. Worked perfectly.
Jonathan
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
1,803 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Jonathan:

MM,

Riman wrote "I welcome your feedback / suggestions".

That is what he has got from me.

I am quite sure he will be able to pick out the feedback/suggestion that suits him and his needs and his 'moneybag'.

Grrr! MM

MM,

Quite often I have noticed that you suggest people buy a new item to fix the issue they have with their current item, and I don't believe this is very helpful as it is an obvious reply. If your car gets a flat tyre, do you suggest buying a new car?

Whenever someone doesn't agree with you, you bring out the 'GRRR'. This is a very aggressive response to people just because they don't agree with you. If you noticed; my initial response to you finished with a friendly wink and thumbs up, so there's no need for your retailiatory aggression.

Jonathan

x:________________________

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,215 Posts
Founder

Hi Jonathan

It's all in MM's avatar ... without his coffee he can be touchy Smile

I completely understand that ..... and see the "Grrr"s in that humorous light

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,944 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you elephant - you completely understand my use of the Grrr!eeting.

Originally I used the Greetings, then came the Rolling Stones album Grrr! - and I thought that was a nice twist of my saying 'Hallo'.

As you see my avatar is a nice little kitty - but these can do grrr's once in a while.

And - that I must admit - I once in a while use the Grrr! as an expression of my 'disagreement' - such is life.

But - dear Jonathan - don't take that too serious....

....I am not that Grrr! at all 🐯

As for my suggestions:

Jonathan, you may have noticed that I often suggest different solutions and mostly ask people for more details before answering.

And you can't really compare bringing a BV7-40 MK1/2 up to date with fixing a flat tyre on a car, can you?

Grrreetings MM

Mark
Top 75 Contributor
London
1,061 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 9:41 AM

MIM is right this is not the perfect solution for the perfect brand.

Personally I do not watch a huge amount of TV so this solution works well for my appetite, I really wanted Apple TV to access my music, music videos and films that I have on my hard drive and use BBC iPlayer as my catch up.

After connecting everything up and spending a little time than I would of thought setting up my Beo4 and Connection menus I must say I am rather impressed with both the picture and sound quality.

The game plan is the Beo7 will go into the kitchen when my BeoCentre 1 (which still has a cracking picture quality) retires and then I'll upgrade the living room screen.

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL