Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

A Beovox MS150 Project

Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 213 Replies | 5 Followers

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor posted on Fri, Mar 30 2012 5:31 AM

While delaying the completion of the Beomaster 6000 project (I have been recapping some other amplifiers before diving into the volume motor repair), I came across these Beovox MS150 speakers that are in need of restoration. The MS150 speakers have been on my radar for a while now but this was my first chance to get a pair and they were within driving distance (for me) to pick up...so no shipping. 

As you can see, the 8 inch and 10 inch drivers need new foam surrounds. That is to be expected. I haven't opened them up to check the crossovers yet but I am figuring I will be replacing those capacitors as well.  The real issue I will have is the top grill covers. Both speakers are missing those. Even without them I had to buy these speakers. If anyone has any spare top grill covers please let me know. 

I am also trying to decide the best place to order surrounds. I have bought surrounds off Ebay for several of my CX100, CX50, S55, S120.2 and RL140 speakers.  All of those refoam projects came out great. I imagine the same surrounds for the S120.2 8 inch driver should also work for the MS150. I will see if that company also supplies the 10 inch surrounds. 

In any case, parts will have to be ordered so it will be a couple weeks before I can really get started.  

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

...with the grill covers (no top cover)

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,910 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:06 AM
Verified by Jason

When I had a pair of these, I had them reconed with a rubber surround. The sound was excellent - Recone Lab were so impressed they put them through their sound chamber - ruler flat response! They are the pair pictured here.

Peter

All Replies

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

Bloodshot-eyed maybe Smile

Today I finished recapping the two crossover boards.  I used a recap kit from Dillen for the job.  Here is a before and after picture of one of them.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

Here is the other crossover. I placed a bead of Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky glue under each electrolytic capacitor I replaced.  I also used some of that glue to shore up the inductor mounting to the board.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

It's a great day outside today.  I started to get things in order so I can assemble some working MS150 speakers.  Since I need to borrow one 8 inch woofer from my S120.2 speakers I pulled one of them down and opened it up.  Here is one of my S120.2 speakers with the grill covers and bass port grill removed.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

A couple of things came to mind as I re-examined my S120.2 speakers.

One, I could steal the round plastic trim piece on the tweeter and midrange from one of the S120.2 cabinets and use in place of the scratched one on the MS150 cabinet.  The thought there is that I have the grill covers for the S120.2 speakers so the trim piece can be hidden.  I don't have the top grill cover for the MS150 speakers. 

The second thing was the S120.2 three inch midrange driver. After working on the MS150 midrange I now notice that the S120.2 midrange dome is not the plastic material that the MS150 has. I looked up a couple of pictures on Beoworld of other people's S120.2 midrange and those domes look like the MS150. So I am wondering if mine are a repair or a change in manufacturing.  Both of my S120.2 midranges have the same black domes.

Looking at the inside of the S120.2 I can see that the 8 inch woofer is the same as the 8 inch woofer in my MS150.  The 3 inch midrange appears to be the same too so the difference is in the dome.  Does anyone know if the domes changed and came like mine are?  Or are my two S120.2 midrange drivers likely a repair?

Here is a picture of the S120.2 inside. The top picture is the 8 inch woofer.  The middle picture shows the tweeter and 3 inch midrange.  The bottom picture is just the 3 inch midrange. From the inside it looks the same as the MS150.

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
585 Posts
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 7:55 PM

Your speakers are not S120.2, they are MC120.2.

Beovox S80, S120, M150 and MS150 came with midranges where the domes were made out of plactic material.

Beovox S80.2, MC120.2, M150.2 and MS150.2 came with midranges where the domes were made out of fabric with some sticky material on it. 

So your MC120.2 are 100% original. Smile

- Dennis

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

Cool, thanks Dennis.  If I would have read more carefully the front of the speakers say MC120.2.  I had S120.2 on my brain though so that is what stuck.

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
1,268 Posts
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 8:09 PM

Is there any difference in sound between the cloth and plastic domes? Both my S80's & 120's have the plastic domes and IMO mid range can sound harsh at times - I wonder if that would be the case with the different material?

Olly

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

My plan today was to start working on the MS150 cabinets. Setting them up on a workbench outside they don't look all that bad. I am going to start with just a good cleanup before deciding how far to go on any refinishing. The first annoying thing to clean is the duct tape residue on the bottom of the cabinets. I tried a cleaning product I have never tried before called Goo Gone. The orange colored liquid sprays on, then you wipe with a cloth unil the grime is gone. It worked really well as you can see in the picture. I taped off the bass port with some painter's tape just to be safe since I didn't know what all I was going to try on the bottom of the cabinet. I also did the same cleaning procedure to the other cabinet.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

I will try and do a listening test once I get the MS150's put back together.  I will still have one fully assembled MC120.2 so I can use a mono source to it and one of the 150's to see if I can notice anything.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

I forgot to post a before picture of the MS150 cabinet.  Here it is. The top looks like I might have to refinish it but I am going to try some cleaner and restorer on it first. On the bottom you can see the awful duct tape remains.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

I will have to keep the scratched, circular tweeter/midrange trim piece with the MS150 as it turns out.  I tried the one from the MC120.2 and there are differences.  They are the same size and the trim piece fits into the front speaker frame perfectly.  However, there is a difference in the look on the front and on the molding where the drivers mount.  Here is a side by side comparison picture.  So much for that idea but I did remove the 8 inch woofer (temporarily) from the MC120.2 so I can assemble my MS150's.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

Wow!  These speakers sound great.  They are as good as advertised.  Definately ones that I will keep. 

I didn't have much trouble re-assembling them...just took my time and verified with pictures that I had all of the wires hooked up correctly.  It's too late and I'm too tired to take any pictures tonight but I will tomorrow.  I listened to a variety of music from classical to rock n' roll (Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien to The Rolling Stone's Can't You Hear Me Knocking).  The MS150's handles it all.  My repaired midrange is working great.  It is sounds as good as the other midgrange so I'm pretty pleased with that.

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
585 Posts
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Sun, Apr 22 2012 2:24 PM

Good to hear, that they are working! Smile I'm dying to hear mine! Big Smile

My MS150.2's are ready to be "rerubbered", and I think I will be receiving the rings next week. I ordered rings from Good Hifi. I have dealth with Good Hifi before, and the service has always been great. Smile I've also ordered a capacitorkit from Dillen, which I also think I will be receiving next week. So if all goes well, they should be done before next weekend! Lets have a Party !!!

- Dennis

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

That is where I got my parts too. 

In case you haven't opened up your MS150 cabinets before...

When you open the speaker cabinets be aware that the two wires from the cabinet speaker terminal to the crossover board does not provide much slack.  So after you have removed the screws for the cabinet front, carefully turn the front on its side keeping the middle part of the front across the middle of the cabinet (wood part).  While turned on its side that way you should have plenty of slack to remove the connection wires without them yanking off on their own.  As you can imagine the front of the cabinet with the drivers all in place is kind of heavy and will be lopsided so keep a firm grasp.  It might be easier to lay the speaker face down on some pillows and lift the wood cabinet back off.  By itself the cabinet is lighter.

If you are replacing the surrounds on the 8 inch drivers be careful with removing the sound dampening tube that is attached to the back.  I would remove the dampening material from the tube and disconnect the two wires from the driver terminals first.  Then, after you remove the four driver lock down fasteners try and gently lift the tube from the back of the 8 inch driver frame.  On mine the black plastic ring that fits in the tube likes to come off so I would get it started using a small flat head screwdriver.

Have fun. The end result is very rewarding.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,157 Posts
Gold Member

Here are pictures of my reassembled and fully functional MS150 speakers.  I don't have a set place for them in my house except for my workshop area and it is too messy to take a picture right now.  So I set the speakers up outside for these speakers.  I decided to use the metal stands seen in the photograph for these speakers instead of the M100 stands I have because it is easier to lift these speakers and move them without stands attached.  These stands work really well.  The subwoofer port on the bottom is unobstructed and the speakers sound really good.
I am still breaking them in with various forms of music I like.  This part is the fun part when I can just sit back and enjoy the sound...and rest my back from carrying these speakers outside and back in.

Page 7 of 15 (214 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL