Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolab / Beomaster 5000 speaker question...

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 24 Replies | 1 Follower

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
329 Posts
Bronze Member
MrRoast posted on Tue, May 21 2013 8:19 PM

Hello all,

I've just acquired a lovely Beolab (1967)/Beomaster (1969) 5000 and have a question about the speakers I can use with it.

I was going to connect it to a pair of CX 100s and a pair of CX 50s (replacing the Beomaster 1000 I'm currently using) but when I did this I could barely hear anything even with the volume up to 10! I connected a pair of 2702s and everything works perfectly.

I've looked online and read about damage that can be caused to an amplifier if you use the incorrect impedance speakers but was slightly confused as in an this archived thread one of the users was using CX 100s. I know that the 2702s are 4 ohm and CX 100s are 6 ohm but am mystified why the volume on mine was so low!? 

Any help greatly appreciated as I'm itching to start using it!

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

j0hnbarker
Top 500 Contributor
187 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by MrRoast

Turn the Beolab over and check which input you are using. Then check the two small screws that are labelled on the underside with each channel for that input, and make sure they are not turned down towards the - mark. If they are, turn them both up equally to the + mark.

Try that and see how you go.

All Replies

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,808 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Sun, May 26 2013 1:13 PM

Hey Magnus you're using my picture!

You are welcome to do so Wink

Jacques

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
329 Posts
Bronze Member

Problem solved! After a concerted process of elimination (i.e a bit of a fiddle about!) it looks like the issue was a mix of input levels and ignorance Big Smile

The AUX input doesn't seem to work with an iPhone/Airport Express feed even with the levels adjusted by the dials underneath, however, works fine with the TAPE input.

I've also switched the PHONO input switch and the volume is much improved, I think this may have been because the previous owner was using a non-B&O turntable.

I also soldered up a new set of speaker cables and checked with a multimeter just in case!

Thanks for all the suggestions, glad I've got up and running!

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,808 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Tue, May 28 2013 7:03 AM

That's odd.

I  use my AUX input with the iPhone/iPod without any problems.

Jacques

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
329 Posts
Bronze Member

@ charz - Hmmm I did think it a bit odd, however, it's now playing music so I'm happy for the time being! Big Smile 

Also can anyone tell me if I can get new rubber feet for the Beolab/Beomasters? Mine have hardened and would like to replace them.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,808 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Tue, May 28 2013 9:07 PM

Got mine here, they are perfectly sized and of excellent quality. There is a metal washer at the bottom of the bigger hole.

Often, the rubber has released some kind of watery substance, which has made way for rust underneath the old feet...

Jacques

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
329 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the link chartz, will order some today. There is some rust under the feet but I'll live with it for the time being!

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,302 Posts
Gold Member

chartz:
Got mine here, they are perfectly sized and of excellent quality.

How wicked to put them in bags of 10 - you need to order two sets to get a multiple of four! Stick out tongue (as I just did - thanks for the link)

--mika

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,808 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Wed, May 29 2013 7:41 PM

And remember, the ones underneath the Beomaster are riveted!

Jacques

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
329 Posts
Bronze Member

Update - read on an archived post that the AUX input on the Beolab 5000 has certain pins wired differently to the TAPE input which was the reason I wasn't getting a signal from my iPhone! At least I know it's not faulty!

@ chartz - got my new feet but have used small bolts on the tuner to replace the rivets, needs a bit of fettling though!

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,808 Posts
Bronze Member

Good. Now we need pictures, don't we? Stick out tongue

Jacques

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL