Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolink Converter dead?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 0 Followers

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,356 Posts
Bronze Member
BenSA posted on Fri, May 10 2013 6:44 PM

i have beolab 8000's connected to my Beosystem 3500 which is connected to my Beovision 7 using a Beolink Converter. Everything worked fine. Then yesterday I came to use the tv and no sound!!! I tried a different ML cable, no difference. Connected the speakers directly to the Beovision,...there was sound. Tested the TV/Aux input on the Beomaster with the Cd player...sound came through. Switched everything off,,,switched back on...no luck. Now what? Is the Beolink Converter now dead? I just bought it off Ebay and had it sent all the way from Germany to South Africa,

Any ideas!!

Thanks

Ben

All Replies

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,356 Posts
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Wed, May 15 2013 6:59 PM

1stly thanks everyone for the help again!

Right this is what I have found...

@RaMaBo... set BM3500 to Opt 1 and BV to Opt 1....Press TV....BV comes on but I have to press AV-TV for the BM to come on. This is how I operated the system when it was working! BM3500 to Opt 2 and BV to Opt 0....nothing works at all!

@Stefan...I set the BV to V.OPT 2, disconnect the masterlink and only the Video commands work. I am able to access the BV Service Menu but I couldn't find any mention on the Masterlink Module. There is an error 5C-2C.....no idea what that means obviously.

Your 2nd OPT setting as explained above is the original setting I used. I had to press TV to turn the BV on and then AV-TV to turn the BM3500 on...till the one day the sound disappeared. Nothing appeared on the BV ever concerning Radio or CD when I press eg CD or when changing volume.  I didn't have to press AV at all to listen to audio on the BM3500. The BV would just stay off.

I tried your Powerlink suggestion. I connected one powerlink from the BM3500 to the Powerlink input of the BL converter and then the ML cable from the converter to the BV. I changed the opt settings. The BV worked...BM3500 did not come on no matter what I tried.

When I use the same options but using the TV/Aux input on the BL converter....I choose Radio...BV shows radio and BM3500 radio comes on as well as the mute light. The change in volume numbers only on BV.

So I'm not sure what one can conclude from all this? Would the error code tell me anything? It was shown a couple of times.

Thanks again for everyones patience and help!!

Ben

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
588 Posts
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Thu, May 16 2013 11:55 AM

Hi,

assuming that you have your BM3500 and your Beovision 7 in one room and the Beolab 8000s connected to the BM3500 you should use option 1 for Audio and Video.

Setting the option has to be done with the systems in standby and best not connected to each other. Then BM, BV and convertor disconnected from the power for 5 minutes.

Now check the cabling of the BL convertor: ML cable in BV and BL convertor properly plugged in, 7 Pin Datalink cable plugged in BL convertor into AUX plug and in AUX/TV in BM3500.

- Now power to BV,

- then to BM,

- wait 1 minute to  give power to the BL convertor

. Now you should be able to listen to CD via BL8000 by pressing CD.

If you press TV BV should start, CD should stop and you should get the TV sound from the BL8000.

The whole sytem should work without pressing AV-TV or AV-CD. Just TV or CD should be enough to control the system and route the audio to the speakers.

Ralph-Marcus

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
2,854 Posts
Founder
stefan replied on Thu, May 16 2013 12:56 PM

---@Stefan...I set the BV to V.OPT 2, disconnect the masterlink and only the Video commands work. I am able to access the BV Service Menu but I couldn't find any mention on the Masterlink Module. There is an error 5C-2C.....no idea what that means obviously.---

Maybe somebody knows what this error means and will tell us...(?) Or what about sending Beo in Struer mail and asking about this error?

---- 2nd OPT setting as explained above is the original setting I used. I had to press TV to turn the BV on and then AV-TV to turn the BM3500 on...till the one day the sound disappeared. Nothing appeared on the BV ever concerning Radio or CD when I press eg CD or when changing volume.  I didn't have to press AV at all to listen to audio on the BM3500. The BV would just stay off.----

You`re talking about A1-V1 setting right? The behaviour you describe is just correct for this option setting. If you press AV-CD the BV7 and BM3500 should start up in CD mode...(just to test communication)

----I tried your Powerlink suggestion. I connected one powerlink from the BM3500 to the Powerlink input of the BL converter and then the ML cable from the converter to the BV. 

Just to make it clear: You connected a Powerlink cable in addition to Audio Aux Link cable? It can`t work with just a Powerlink cable connected.

---I changed the opt settings. The BV worked...BM3500 did not come on no matter what I tried.--

Opt- setting change to what? And what di you mean by "BV worked"? What did you press? Did it work in audio mode or video mode or not at all?

----When I use the same options but using the TV/Aux input on the BL converter....I choose Radio...BV shows radio and BM3500 radio comes on as well as the mute light. The change in volume numbers only on BV.---

Now you are talking about A.0 - V.2 setting? If this is the case, there is communication between your audio- and videosystem!

Now connect your BL8000s to  the BV7. As you describe everything is working properly! You press RADIO: BM turns on in RADIO mode (with sound muted, because of the option setting. BV7 turns on in RADIO mode. Volume setting is done by the BV7. You have no sound, because you just have one speaker connected, and your BV7 would switched to SPEAKER 2 mode (stereo) if you select an audio source. So try to connect your BLs to BV7.

---So I'm not sure what one can conclude from all this? Would the error code tell me anything? It was shown a couple of times.---

As said above, send error code to B&O Struer...

I`m not quite sure if we now have a solution, but your testings tell us, that there is communication via ML, if set to A.OPT 0 and V.OPT 2.

BTW this is the classic setup for one room audio-video installation.

Hope this helps.

Stefan

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Little Ann, Hampshire, United Kingdom
5,271 Posts
Founder

stefan:
There is an error 5C-2C.....no idea what that means obviously

That code is decoded as follows:-

XX-YZ

• XX = IIC address
  • Y = IIC bus 1 or bus 2
  • Z = any IIC bus segment A/B/C/D

So your error is Hex address 5C of the processor detected an error on internal bus 1 on the third bus segment "C"

To determine if this has anything to do with your problem or not, delete this error and see if it comes back or not.

To delete the error go to MONITOR INFORMATION in teh service menu and press GO then exit service menu and go back in to make sure it has really cleared and then see if it comes back or not.

Regards Keith....

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,356 Posts
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Thu, May 16 2013 4:13 PM

I decided to connect the Beolab 8000s to the BV directly then have the link connecter to the BM. I used A Opt 0 V Opt 2. Press DVD I get picture and sound....BM stays off! Press Radio..DVD stops, TV says Radio and BM3500 turns on with mute showing and I get the radio sound. Press TV I get picture and TV sound...BM3500 stays on displaying radio but no radio sound only Tv. So I can presume that the Link is working well at least in that setup. The main reason I do not want the beolabs connected to the BV is that the sound quality is much better when the Beolabs are connected directly to the BM3500.

I reconnected the Beolabs to BM. Added powerlink to link connecter and Aux/Tv cable which I didn't have last time connected. Change the options as instructed to by stefan. Press Radio....BM3500 comes on showing radio and Mute...no sound...radio shows on BV. Press DVD....DVD shows on BV...BM stays on radio..no sound.

I also did the whole things as instructed by RaMaBo...did all the waiting 5 minutes etc........If I press AV-Radio....BM turns on with radio and mute showing...Radio shows up on BV....Beolabs do not switch on.

I will try to send error code to B&O and see if they are willing to explain. I never would have thought it have been this complicated!!! Driving me crazy. I honestly have no clue anymore. Makes no sense at all.

Thanks everyone for all the help but I feel like we've exhausted all the "options" excuse the pun!!

Ben

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
864 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Thu, Nov 1 2018 12:01 PM
Sorry to revive such an old post, but I’m having the same issues. I’ll try some of the suggestions from below, especially adding the powerlink cable from my BS6500. I did not see that in the instructions. Here’s hoping!

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
864 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Mon, Nov 12 2018 1:08 PM
I unplugged everything and waited about 15 minutes. Then I plugged in the BeoSystem 3, waited a minute and plugged in the BeoSystem 6500, waited one more minute and plugged in the Beolink converter. Now when I press DVD on the remote in one of my link rooms in can hear the audio. If I’m in the main room and hit Radio, the BS3 switches to radio input, the Pentas display Radio, but there is no audio. The remote rooms work just fine. It’s operating like there is only one way audio. I guess I have to double check my cables to make sure they’re fully wired. Anything else come to mind?

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
864 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Tue, Nov 13 2018 1:19 AM

Ok, so it pays to actually check the wires you thought were audio aux cables. In reality it was only half wired - one directional audio wire. The second wire is an audio aux cable, but I didn't try it after I ran through the power cycle sequence. In the end, that wire has one broken lead - for the left audio, so I'm ordering a quality wire from Sounds Heavenly tonight.

Now I can hear audio from each system in either the main room, or one of my MCL2 link rooms. Success!

Dom

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
864 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Tue, Nov 13 2018 1:19 AM

duplicate

Dom

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL