rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Maab
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 95
Bronze Member
Maab Posted: Mon, Apr 1 2013 5:46 PM
Hello everybody,

Just curious whether any of you have a setup with 4 bl5 and what you think about it. As I understand it, it can only be done in analog mode. Nevertheless I'm thinking about it.

As a side note: It seems to me an "unfinished" job by B&O. they should have pursued a more sophisticated system by building some sort of processor that would have allowed an all digital surround system... meridian did it...

M
seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 649
Silver Member

That's the point there Maab. You've hit the nail on the head.

If you were one of the first to buy a BL5 you will have serious problems trying to use non-B&o sources without the synch. Then the DAC is seriously outdated and cant accept anything greater than 88Khz sampling frequency so if you are enjoying your 24bit/192Khz high resolution like me forget it...

I have also had my BL5 in a bigger living room of recent and they simple can't go loud enough despite the dedicated 2.5kw per channel and on some tracks at higher volume the treble is too exaggerated.

Yes, the BL5's sound amazing but so do the active ATC 100ASLT studio monitors and in many ways they are more neutral and precise so the competition at this price range is fierce.

Late 1990s technology that is being to show it's age and sound in 2013.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,575
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 8:23 PM
Interesting question. I read somewhere about somebody who did but have not been able to find it again.
Martin
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 244
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 8:58 PM

Hi,

i have lab5. I can confirm that the speakers can handle 96khz-24 bit sound tracks. I have tried it myself. 

Meridian Dsp-speaker 8000 also support maximum 96/24. These speakers price is about 35.000 dollars.

regards

Martin

Beovision Eclipse 65 with floorstand (from STB Brackets), Beolab 5 front (sw 3.30a), Beolab 3 rear, 2xBeoplay A6 linkrooms, 2xBeoremote one BT, Beosound 9000 Mark III (sw 3.4), Philips Hue (all lights in the home), Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 649
Silver Member

Thanks Martin, so it goes up to 96Khz so how does one play higher sampling frequency tracks?

I wasn't comparing them to $35,000 speakers; i was comparing them to active ATC's. I think embedding a DAC in speaker is good way of accelerating the lifespan of a speaker and make it defunct a few years down the line. Anyway, I have learnt the hard way.

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,452
Silver Member
beojeff replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 10:33 PM

If you watch closely, you'll see that Bruce Wayne using a setup with 4 BeoLab 5 speakers in "The Dark Night." If it's good enough for Batman...

AS
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Bronze Member
AS replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 11:32 PM

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/1968/16843.aspx#16843

Jez on forum has BL5 in surround :)

Maab
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 95
Bronze Member
Maab replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 2:51 AM
seethroughyou:

That's the point there Maab. You've hit the nail on the head.

If you were one of the first to buy a BL5 you will have serious problems trying to use non-B&o sources without the synch. Then the DAC is seriously outdated and cant accept anything greater than 88Khz sampling frequency so if you are enjoying your 24bit/192Khz high resolution like me forget it...

I have also had my BL5 in a bigger living room of recent and they simple can't go loud enough despite the dedicated 2.5kw per channel and on some tracks at higher volume the treble is too exaggerated.

Yes, the BL5's sound amazing but so do the active ATC 100ASLT studio monitors and in many ways they are more neutral and precise so the competition at this price range is fierce.

Late 1990s technology that is being to show it's age and sound in 2013.

Well, I think these speakers were way ahead of time back than, but it's time for a refresh! i don't mind the beolab's limit to 24/96 (I personally don't think it's even worth going beyond that) but I really wish the bl5 would play in concert with other speakers of the same nature via digital for a killer surround system.

kimchr
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Bronze Member
kimchr replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 2:27 PM

Duing a demo I had at a danish dealer a while back, I was told they recently installed a cinema setup with 6 bl5. The customer apparently wanted 2 bl5 for center channel.

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,728
Founder
stefan replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 2:44 PM

kimchr:

Duing a demo I had at a danish dealer a while back, I was told they recently installed a cinema setup with 6 bl5. The customer apparently wanted 2 bl5 for center channel.

...or a 7.1 setup...?

Stefan

MrDMoulton
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member

Hi everyone!  

It IS possible to have an all digital system with 4 or more Bl5s.  I use a Tascam digital monitor controller (DS-M 7.1) which works really well with the BL 5s.  Although longer made, you can occasionally get one on e-bay.  Currently I use 5 Bl 5s, and they are very satisfying for both music and cinema (a Beolab 5 center channel is simply stunning, and has led me to reconsider the nature of stereo!).  

About the alleged datedness of Bl 5s (this month is the 10th anniversary of their introduction!), they are still at the forefront of loudspeakers.  At Sausalito Audio, we have been surprised that there has been no serious attempt to improve on their performance by the competition.  They remain a uniquely effective and viable product, and seem likely to remain so for quite a while.  Concerns about resolution of the input signals are really minor, especially given the other virtues of the design.  

So, don't fret.  The Beolab 5 is still at the absolute forefront of audio.  My partner thinks it may be the best and most important audio product ever made.  

Best regards.

Maab
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 95
Bronze Member
Maab replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 6:09 PM
MrDMoulton:

Hi everyone!

It IS possible to have an all digital system with 4 or more Bl5s. I use a Tascam digital monitor controller (DS-M 7.1) which works really well with the BL 5s. Although longer made, you can occasionally get one on e-bay. Currently I use 5 Bl 5s, and they are very satisfying for both music and cinema (a Beolab 5 center channel is simply stunning, and has led me to reconsider the nature of stereo!).

About the alleged datedness of Bl 5s (this month is the 10th anniversary of their introduction!), they are still at the forefront of loudspeakers. At Sausalito Audio, we have been surprised that there has been no serious attempt to improve on their performance by the competition. They remain a uniquely effective and viable product, and seem likely to remain so for quite a while. Concerns about resolution of the input signals are really minor, especially given the other virtues of the design.

So, don't fret. The Beolab 5 is still at the absolute forefront of audio. My partner thinks it may be the best and most important audio product ever made.

Best regards.

Thank you so much for the info.

I'll look for the device you've mentioned on eBay. Still, I'm usually intimidated by pro-audio devices because often I don't understand certain functions and buttons.

B&o should have created a following of devices inter-related to the bl5 for better integration to today's available products.

Nevertheless, I think... The bl5 are the most "complete" speakers around.
tkl95
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
tkl95 replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 8:51 PM

Have 4 Beolab 5's.

My problem is Thatcher all 4 have been broken with THE Same issue, cracking sound, neerslag remplacerend of chassis and B&O Denise IT à problem, so IT Costa You erachter time Arnoud 550 euro to THE dealer.

À shame For such expansive equipement to not have à garantie of even acknowledge à generic problem.

4 out of 4 broken, that's a 100% failure rate, great B&O!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL