rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 55 Replies | 3 Followers

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
649 Posts
Silver Member
seethroughyou posted on Fri, Mar 15 2013 7:56 PM

For nearly 14 years I have been an avid B&o fan starting with a Beosound 9000 and Lab 1 & 2s and then moved to Beolab 5s in 2004. I saved for a whole year and was on the bread and water to save for my Lab5s and was blown away. I bought a Beoeound 5 and that was the beginning of the big disappointment. Since my Bs5 purchase I have grown to despise it with its silly dial and its sluggish pointer and limited functionality. I felt a sense of relief when I eBay'd it a few weeks ago. I contacted B&o about upgrading the DAC in my lab5 and never heard back and given their terrible customer service with this and the never appearing ALAC I am now going to part with my beloved Lab5s. B&o where are the new 24bit/192 kHz DACs do i can listen to Studio Master downloads, the amazing streamer, the next reference speaker....? Why have you neglected your audio? Why are you persisting with the Bs5 when it was already out of date in 2009? Why is your build quality so poor compared to your products from the 80s and 90s? Are you coming up with a slick computer audio solution? Why is your software so terrible when small firms like Naim, Linn, Cambridge Audio are constantly refining their apps to control their streamers? It seems as if B&o are punch drunk, lost at sea, on screen saver mode....I haven't bought anything of inspiration since 2004. Is this the end, please say it isn't. Please don't let 2013 be another damp squib of a year!

All Replies

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
954 Posts
Bronze Member

Great first post!

Your sentiments do strike a chord with me.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,542 Posts
Bronze Member
I agree with you 100%, great post!

Räuber
kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,415 Posts
Founder
kallasr replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:54 PM
I understand most of it but why do the BL5s need an upgrade? I don't own these bur they seem to have a superb quality considering their price. I see that if you upgraded all your digital music to the technical capabilties of these speakers you might want to go further... But for what reason? Theory? Or will you be able to tell a difference? And will it be worth the extra costs?

Ralf

PS: welcome to the forum!

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-6 (Center), Beolab 8000 (Fronts and Rears) and Beolab 2. Screen: Panasonic TX-P65STW60
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab Penta 2 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears) and Beolab 2. Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beovision 10-40 on STB Bracket wall mount masterlinked to Beosound 9000 MK3 on horizontal wall bracket driving Beolab 5000 Speakers
Bedroom: Loewe TV with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all White)
In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
257 Posts
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 1:37 AM

I thought about this for a moment. Moments of B&O awesomeness in my life:

1st I bought a BS2300 with BL2500 in 1998.

2nd Moment of awesomeness I bought BL3 and BL2 in 2006 and attached it to my BS2300

I also have BS9000 an BC2 and BV8 but simplicity of Bs2300 and sound of BL3/BL2 did it for me.

I think B&O needs to focus on Beoplay to support margin/cash flow revenue/ and then bring back the old standards.

People buy LP's again no kidding.

P.s. Note that all my stuff still works. I used up 5 non b&O MP3 players or so in between.

Playdrv4me
Top 150 Contributor
USA
477 Posts
Bronze Member

Man, I'm glad this is my first time playing with and discovering all the "OLD" B&O stuff, because I'm having such enjoyment with it all and see nothing in the current line-up that grabs my attention. My addiction has now saddled me with two Beolink 7000s, a Beomaster 7000, Beolab 4ks and a Beosystem 2500 with Beolab 2500 speakers. I also might have a Beocord 7000 and a pair of RL6000s on the way from the same seller that sold me the BM7000 and second BL7000 since that BL7000 has some problems.

Now, I can't keep ALL of it, and I don't even have room for all of it right now... but enjoying products from B&O's arguably best period in history is not something I'm regretting! All that's pretty much left for me to play with is a BS9000 (which I keep convincing myself out of since I don't listen to CDs), MAYBE a pair of BeoLab 1s and a pair of BeoLab 5s.

And let me also say that there is something uniquely awesome about acquiring this older equipment and unlike my Apple addiction, knowing that it's not terribly likely that B&O is likely to one up any of these products in a meaningful way ever again. Not like Apple where something better and newer is flashed in front of you every 8-12 months and you're left with something that feels antiquated... No, these were B&Os best years. That said, B&O are faced with a challenge in keeping up with the modern ways in which people consume their music and video. Products like the original BeoPlay and the BS5/5e/PlayMaker are just their best attempts at trying to keep up with all this. You can't really blame them for trying to adapt to what people are using today.

Anyway, I've got plenty to keep me busy living in the 1990s and early 2000s. This stuff is AMAZING. :)

SWISS_2
Not Ranked
57 Posts
Gold Member

Try  1965:  48 years collecting and enjoying Bang & Olufsen.

I purchased a Beosound 4 a few years ago, with a spare glass lid, and it continues to play my 2G MP3 SD cards fine. But try to load a CD and be quick, or count your fingers. Dr. Joseph-Ignace Guillotin would be proud to use this product, so it's back to the store for repairs again.

However, I am glad B&O remains in business. Economic times remain tough for the manufacturer, worldwide. 

SWISS_2
Not Ranked
57 Posts
Gold Member

It is a good thing that I have a back-up BS 3200. The BS 4 can go in for a needed repair.

Chaka
Top 200 Contributor
Chicago
312 Posts
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 4:27 AM

One word sexy.  Forget digital.  Go back to the beogram 7000.  It's a win win!!  Music files have a place.  On your phone.  & that's it!!!!!  WOOF WOOF!!!Stick out tongue

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,940 Posts
Bronze Member

High quality music files certainly have a place in a good home-stereosystem!

A phone is for telephone-calls and texting!!

That's it!!!

Grrr! Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,265 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

High quality music files certainly have a place in a good home-stereosystem!

A phone is for telephone-calls and texting!!

That's it!!!

Grrr! Millemissen

10 years ago maybe.

I enjoy some of the nicest music listening moments whilst out walking and using my phone. With the hopefully imminent arrival of some nice new shiny B&O headphones, the summer is looking even brighter. I don't think a fat middle aged man walking through Northumberland, rocking some bright white "Beats" earphones is a particularly good pictureErm..

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,866 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 10:57 AM

To be honest, if one has a Beocenter 9500, active speakers and a link system including a Beoport attached to a decent computer with your music files on it, what else could one want? Superb looks and ergonomics, a huge library of music available via a touch screen phone or iPod etc, two way communication with the rest of your music collection and great sound. 

For your info, the Beoport is being removed from the product list as is the Beolink converter so if you want either, now is the time to get one. The Beoport in particular is a complete bargain - full access to you music through any ML system. 

Peter

Iceman10245
Top 500 Contributor
Berlin - Germany Nova Santa Ponsa-Islas Baleares
166 Posts
Bronze Member

Also I would like to contact sometimes to word. I do not ask for excuse there my English well is I try to translate it with the Translater and hope that it is still clear. I think that I can call myself absolute B&o fan. Luckily I have a woman (whom I have exchanged) them this insanity tolerates. She means our flat looks like a B&o business. In 1997 I have bought to myself my first B&o arrangement for my 40th birthday. I was it an Ouverture later against a BS3200 exchanged. Whenever I saw this arrangement in films and the SHEET in 8000 beat faster my heart before enthusiasm. It was and is for me still what the special. Later I armed - in the appendix one sees my devices. The Beolab 5 was for me also the last big highlight in 2008. Still today new visitors whether it UFOs or fountains ask me are. If I put them in the ears mostly fly away to them and they have totally been surprised. And I them to me only a few years them to me "nicely look" had to go. The biggest disappointment was beocom5. Only after some updates it was usable as a phone. And with the Beo 6 I have even annoyance, constantly it does not function, display or other innards are changed. If I today a B&o store enter only disappointment spreads. Nothing makes be beating my heart more or to want to have my desire this. It is a pity... now I think of having reached a final state and will please me probably only in my old devices. For me the BS 9000 is not still a piece of art what I would like to miss. I would never have thought that B&o takes such a development.

BeoVision 7-40 HD-Modul, BeoVision 8 32" white + Floor Stand, 2x Apple TV 4 mit Kodi, DVD2, HDR2, BeoSound 9000 MKIII White Edition, BeoSound 5 / BeoMaster 5, BeoSound 1 MKII + Floor Stand, 2x BeoSound 3, BeoSound 6, BeoSound 3200, BeoSound Essence + 2x Remonte Wall,  BeoPlay A9 Nordic Sky twilight, BeoPlay A8 MKII white + Floor Stand, BeoPlay A2 grey, 2x BeoPlay A3 white/bright blue, BeoPlay A1, 2x BeoPlay S3 white,  Playmaker,  Beolit 12 (White Edition), Beogram TX2, BeoLab 5, BeoLab 3, BeoLab 7-4, BeoLab 8000 MKII, Beolab 11, 2x BeoLab 3500, 4x LC2, 4x Beo4 - MK1-3,Audio Terminal, Beolink 1000, BeoLink 7000, 2x Beo6, 2x EarSet A8, 3x A9 Keyring, EarSet 2, Form2, BeoPlay H6, 3x BeoTime, Beowatch, 2x Lightmanager Pro+ B&o Version, 4x BeoCom5, Beoline2, 3x Speakerphone, BeoTalk 1200, 5x Cabinets, MLGW, Olive ONE with 1TB Harddisc

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
649 Posts
Silver Member

The BL5 will not take 24bit/192 Khz files of which i have a few and intend to buy a lot more in fact if i could replace my pre-exiting CD quality to this. Can i hear the difference between CD quality? Yes absolutely and my wife who mostly listens to her Roberts Radio in the kitchen who came and auditioned streamers with me a few back can also tell. Not only can you hear the difference you also get a spatial representation of the room it was recorded in with the echoes coming off the walls from the instrument and then into the microphone. One can hear the sustain pedal of the piano creaking, the thump of the high treble keys on the felt, the resonance of the sound board on the violin, sheets of music being turned...so yes one can hear them more clearly and my word it is definitely worth it...!

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
649 Posts
Silver Member

Studiomaster:

http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-what-is-a-studio-master.aspx

There are a few others that do this like Naim etc..and would 100% recommend them but sadly none of B&o stuff can manage this.  A high quality streamer with an awesome DAC in the quality casing of old B&O would do the trick!

Page 1 of 4 (56 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL