rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 62 Replies | 2 Followers

Curly
Top 500 Contributor
FL, USA
299 Posts
Gold Member
Curly posted on Wed, Sep 29 2021 6:57 PM

I'll preempt Henrik's BOTF video, which drops tomorrow, and the official B&O announcement...

From the looks of it, Halo is getting new HomeKit-like functionality with interfacing to climate, lighting, motorized window treatments and more.

I'm excited to see what's in store because I have felt that, so far, Halo is just a very expensive volume up/down device. This looks promising!

I hope they put in basic Timer and Alarm functionality too...

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

All Replies

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Oct 22 2021 12:34 PM

My BLI arrived yesterday and integrating it with my 4 BeoRemote Halos was very fast and easy. I found the default automatic configuration to be very logical and a really good starting point before customizing the pages and buttons. The automatic configuration creates a first page with scenes for that room, a second page for lights in that room, and a third page for scenes for the entire home. Of course, this can all be changed with customization.

One thing that I don't like is that when you go to a page, the first button starts out in the MIDDLE of the page instead of being to the first position on the left. This mean that you don't automatically utilize the full screen until you scroll to the right.

I followed the instructions on Khimo's website to make a CLOCK button that shows the time and date. This makes the Halo useful as a clock and even an alarm clock that could have a snooze function with some macros.

I also followed Khimo's instructions to make a WEATHER button that shows if it's raining, snowing, hot, or cold outside. I modified this to make it even more useful by showing the outside temperature.

I had thought the Halo could be useful in allowing the selection of extra audio sources that are outside of the primary and secondary linked devices. The automatic configuration must have thought so as well as it added a few of these in the initial setup.

I liked the Halo before this update, but now I REALLY love it.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
656 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks beojeff for the update, I am really getting now more and more intrigued... btw, what is needed (beside) BLI to also see the weather on Halo? Some external sensors?

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Oct 22 2021 10:52 PM

AnalogPlanet:

Thanks beojeff for the update, I am really getting now more and more intrigued... btw, what is needed (beside) BLI to also see the weather on Halo? Some external sensors?

Nothing else is needed. The Open Weather system is already built-in to the BLI. You enter your coordinates and it pulls weather data for you -- all for free. Isn't that great?

Another great feature is the thermostat. I have the Nest thermostat (fortunately grandfathered in before Nest stoped its "Works with Nest" integration. I now have a thermostat control on each of my Halos. The Halo button shows the current temperature in your home. You can use the Halo wheel to adjust the set-point for what you want the temperature to be. This is amazing. It's just like having Nest thermostats in every room that has a Halo.

Sure, there are apps on the ipad that show a lot more information and options for control all at once -- such as the Home Assistant Companion app. However the Halo -- in all its beautiful finishes -- is there to be a simple and elegant control interface on the table or wall. This really is for people who want to keep their home interior elegant and without clutter.

You can set your nest thermostats to always show outside weather and it automatically turns on the screen when you walk by it.

Other simple and elegant solution would be a $30 Google hub.

"hey google, set the thermostat to 30"

Or spend $2000+ for the halo to do the same thing but fiddle around menus and remember to charge the thing EVERY DAY.

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Oct 22 2021 11:39 PM

Severed_Hand_of_Skywalker:

You can set your nest thermostats to always show outside weather and it automatically turns on the screen when you walk by it.

Or spend $2000+ for the halo to do the same thing but fiddle around menus and remember to charge the thing EVERY DAY.

You've made your position clear. It makes no sense why you're even interested in B&O. Go buy Sony and same yourself some money and stay off this site.

Tassos
Top 500 Contributor
Athens
291 Posts
Bronze Member
Tassos replied on Thu, Nov 18 2021 7:33 AM

beojeff:
I also followed Khimo's instructions to make a WEATHER button that shows if it's raining, snowing, hot, or cold outside. I modified this to make it even more useful by showing the outside temperature.

Hello Beojeff,

did you make any changes to the original code in order to make it work? I am trying to run it but I get a message that there is a value error on line three.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Nov 18 2021 11:15 AM

Tassos:

beojeff:

Hello Beojeff,

did you make any changes to the original code in order to make it work? I am trying to run it but I get a message that there is a value error on line three.

I was able to get the original code to work. Note that you must replace the zone/room/name of the halo with what yours is in your configuration. You must also replace the id number of the halo button with what yours is. For the weather macro, you must set up Open Weather as a system and create the resource. You then replace the name of the open weather resource in the code with the name of your open weather resource.

Tassos
Top 500 Contributor
Athens
291 Posts
Bronze Member
Tassos replied on Thu, Nov 18 2021 1:17 PM

\

beojeff:
I was able to get the original code to work. Note that you must replace the zone/room/name of the halo with what yours is in your configuration. You must also replace the id number of the halo button with what yours is. For the weather macro, you must set up Open Weather as a system and create the resource. You then replace the name of the open weather resource in the code with the name of your open weather resource.

Hello again Beojeff and thank you for the response. I did all of what you suggest but I keep getting a message that there is an error in line 3 ( local rain = weather_query[1].get_boolean("_Rain")).

beojeff:

Severed_Hand_of_Skywalker:

You've made your position clear. It makes no sense why you're even interested in B&O. Go buy Sony and same yourself some money and stay off this site.

Ok cuz you say so I will.  Lol.

I have lots of B&O products and I think I'll stay and offer a non-blinded fanboy opinion.  Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Notice the halo is basically on a clearance sale.  That must be because they are selling so well and no way do they plan on a revised version. :D

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member

Tassos:

\

beojeff:

Hello again Beojeff and thank you for the response. I did all of what you suggest but I keep getting a message that there is an error in line 3 ( local rain = weather_query[1].get_boolean("_Rain")).

What resource did you create and use for the Open Weather system?

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member

Tassos:

\

beojeff:

Maybe it would help for you to be able to compare Khimo's example of those first few lines of code with mine so you can see what needed to be replaced.

Here is Khimo's code:

function(event, engine) 
  weather_query = engine.query("My_Area/My_Zone/_CURRENT_WEATHER/Uruguay")
  local rain = weather_query[1].get_boolean("_Rain")
  local snow = weather_query[1].get_boolean("_Snow")
  local temperature = weather_query[1].get_celsius("_Temperature")

Here is my code:
function(event, engine) 
  weather_query = engine.query("Home/Master Bathroom/_CURRENT_WEATHER/Indianapolis")
  local rain = weather_query[1].get_boolean("_Rain")
  local snow = weather_query[1].get_boolean("_Snow")
  local temperature = weather_query[1].get_fahrenheit("_Temperature")

Tassos
Top 500 Contributor
Athens
291 Posts
Bronze Member
Tassos replied on Fri, Nov 19 2021 7:15 AM

I think that I have made a mistake somewhere with the city variable...how did you set yours?

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Nov 19 2021 10:43 AM

Tassos:

I think that I have made a mistake somewhere with the city variable...how did you set yours?

When setting up the Open Weather resource, you must enter your coordinates in the address field. You can find your latitude and longitude coordinates in the "date and time" tab tab under "setup." The city that I used is just what I happened to put in the "name" filed of the resource.

The coordinates should be in this format: "39.76:-86.15"

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Nov 19 2021 10:46 AM

Tassos:

The variable that you use is not necessarily the name of a city or country but just whatever you put as the "name" of the resource.

Tassos
Top 500 Contributor
Athens
291 Posts
Bronze Member
Tassos replied on Fri, Nov 19 2021 1:41 PM

beojeff:
The variable that you use is not necessarily the name of a city or country but just whatever you put as the "name" of the resource.

OK this I understand but I think I haven't "linked" correctly the coordinates to the variable. What kind of variable you created (boolean, string, integer)? An how you have linked it to the longitude latitude?

PS I honestly appreciate your patience and will to help :-)

Page 4 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL