rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 32 Replies | 2 Followers

swestland
Not Ranked
Netherlands
60 Posts
Bronze Member
swestland posted on Wed, Sep 29 2021 2:11 PM

I'm currently exploring possiblities to get into the B&O world. Currently I've quite a nice 3.1 setup with a proper Hi-Fi receiver (ARCAM AVR550) subwoofer (Velodyne 1200 ultra) and Monitor Audio Gold speakers. But I want to simplify my setup with less devices and don't want to loose out on audio quality. I like B&O's approach to design, audio and integration. 

I love watching movies on my Oppo UDP-203 Bluray player but love to listen to music as well. 

As I currently own a Sony A1 Oled I was just looking at adding a Beosound stage. But looking at reviews I'm not sure if I will be happy with the sound quality as sub is not super and can't connect any other speakers in the future to upgrade. But pricewise its very competitive. 

The other option would be to buy just a pair of Beolab 28's. But so far I can't find how I could properly connect these speakers to my non-B&O TV. 

And finally I could buy a Beovision Eclipse. This would get me properly into B&O world. But how does that Eclipse soundbar compares to the Stage? Or is Eclipse's sound bar designed to be a center speaker in addition to extra pairs of Beolabs (28's ie)? 

Hope you guys could get me in the right direction. 

- Beosound Shape

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

swestland
Not Ranked
Netherlands
60 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Dion

Quick update.I decided to throw in the Shape as a rear surround speaker as well! While throwing money at it why don't do it properly, right? 

It's going to be a 7 tile setup so I can have 4 speakers, I will not be using a core as it will be connected by Powerlink to my Eclipse. Finally I will be able to enjoy surround when watching movies. This is something I always missed from my current 3.1 setup. And by adding the Shape I have lot more options to listen to music. 

Here's a quick preview from B&O AR's app. And now starts the wait, depending on delivery times they might already install the shape prior to the Eclipse install end of January.  

- Beosound Shape

All Replies

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
357 Posts
Gold Member
Curly replied on Wed, Sep 29 2021 4:36 PM

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your first post!

I'll bump your post because it's a great question... Stage vs. Eclipse sound. I suppose one could argue this is a silly question because the price difference between the two options is so significant, perhaps they wouldn't be cross-shopped. But nonetheless, an interesting question.

1. Stage bass performance is supposedly quite, quite good. I haven't heard it myself so I can't say but everyone here says, and everything I've read says, that it's quite impressive. Now, that is a relative statement--impressive compared to what? And if your comparison is a standalone 12" subwoofer you might indeed find it lacking. If you want the bass performance of a 12" standalone sub, you may not even find BL28 or BL20 satisfactory. You may need two BL19's or a pair of BL50. Others can chime in more.

But yes--good research--you cannot connect other speakers to a Stage.

2. Three options I am aware of for connecting BL28 to a non-B&O TV. (a) WISA (dongle or external box likely required); (b) S8 connection hub; (c) optical cables.

3. Eclipse is designed as a 3.0 standalone system which is expandable using other B&O speakers to much larger surround setups, in which case you can use the entire Eclipse speaker array for the center channel alone.

I'd love to hear from people more familiar how the Eclipse sounds compared to Stage. My guess is Stage has more bass performance because it has newer generation, high-excursion 4" drivers. The Eclipse's 4" drivers are the previous generation with less performance (but not poor performance--great performance!)

I hope that helps and kicks off the discussion. Welcome again.

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

swestland
Not Ranked
Netherlands
60 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the answers and opinions. I wasn't really aware that its not that easy to get the same (or 'equivalent') sub performance as I have now. However, I'm willing to do a step back if that simplifies my system. 

I agree with you that many reviews rate the stage as quite good, but as you said compare to what? Only my sub alone is more expensive than the Stage it self, so it's also hard to compare as its in another segment. I didn't really thought about that point  This goes the same way regarding your point that the Eclipse and Stage are usually not being cross-shopped. 

As digging through more online reviews I think I need to forget the soundbar option anyway as it will be 'ok' but will never get close to my current setup, also has to do with woofer size which a much smaller soundbar just can't compete with. 

This leaves me to the final question if I should go for a pair of BL28 and use a convertor box. Would be great to hear users opinion on bass levels of the BL28. 

Probably just need to checkout the local dealer to evaluate the sound my self, but probably like many of you want to get some own research done before walking in to the dealer and doing it sales pitch. 

- Beosound Shape

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
218 Posts
Bronze Member
One thing is for sure, the Bass on the Stage is absolutely amazing.

Often it stuns me on how deep it can go when watching TV and movies it 100% does not need a sub.

LG and Stage replaced a BV11 with BL6000&8000 set up and we have not missed them.

Ok you do not get the true surround sound but for simplicity and sound quality the Stage & LG is a superb set up.

The Eclipse is another level again and has the added advantage of being able to become part of a full audio system.
marcengels
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member

Exactly what PaulGiles writes, the Stage has an incredible bass. I had the Avant NG with 2x Beolab 20. 3.1 with this setup was amazing, especially the Avant was the center speaker and the Beolab 20 for the rest. I changed to the LG and the Stage and of course there is a different but the Stage is amazing when sitting in front of it. With a good source I could swear the Beolabs 20 are still playing but they aren't there anymore. Simply amazing. 

mseverg68
Not Ranked
Milano
53 Posts
Bronze Member
I compared them in the shop side by side with the same movie. The sound image of the Eclipse is much better
PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
218 Posts
Bronze Member
Yep. Just confirming what we already know and love B&O really do know their stuff when it comes to sound. Pop along to you local dealer and test them side by side. Wink
seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
999 Posts
Bronze Member
PaulGiles:

Yep. Just confirming what we already know and love B&O really do know their stuff when it comes to sound. Pop along to you local dealer and test them side by side.

Geoff Martin and his colleagues are the jewel in B&O’s crown. Whatever you do B&O, (listen to me!) don’t ever let them go. If need be, put some golden handcuffs on them!

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

swestland
Not Ranked
Netherlands
60 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the input and its really down to hearing it your self and deciding what you prefer. This is mostly true for all audio but I thought there would be a clear difference in sound between them but apparantly they are close and have their own specifics. use cases and price. 

- Beosound Shape

swestland
Not Ranked
Netherlands
60 Posts
Bronze Member

Apparantly we will be going for the Eclipse route, basically because I don't like that the Stage can't be extended to any other speaker in the future. I could buy a stage and wait for the moment it will allow connections but it will not be able to do any B&O integration stuff like use the Beoremote to controll all the other devices. 

To start off will go for the Eclipse with a Beolab 19 to give some punch in movies. Could I use two Balance's as Left and right channels? I'm going to the dealer but still like to be informed myself as my experience with other brand dealer is they don't know everything whats possible or not. 

- Beosound Shape

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
357 Posts
Gold Member
Curly replied on Tue, Oct 19 2021 4:22 PM

You won't be able to use two Balances as L and R channels with an Eclipse, unfortunately. Supposedly, this is in the works but no one knows for sure or knows timing.

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

swestland
Not Ranked
Netherlands
60 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by pig30n

Just came back from my visit to our local dealer. Wasn't really impressed by the whole experience, dealer wanted to sell me a Loewe system which I told him I didn't like as I was coming for the design of the B&O. He told me the eclipse sounded great but didn't demo it. Had to ask for a demo, he turned on a regular TV program to show off its capabilities. Not impressed, so I asked to start youtube with some music. 

That was better, now I could get some real impression of the sound. Sound stage is wide but it lacks a lot of bass wow, didn't expect that. It really needs a sub. Than I listened to the stage, the stage bass performance is a lot better than eclipse but sound wise it sounds really compressed and not as wide and crisp as the eclipse. 

A pair of Balance as Left and Right is not possible according to the dealer, only for music not for tv/movie. 

Need to listen to an eclipse with subwoofer attached. Will see another dealer if they could help me out. 

- Beosound Shape

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
150 Posts
Bronze Member

Setup is crucially important for things to look and sound right. The latest B&O gear has so many adjustments. Difficult to believe but most dealers do not/can not set this equipment up properly. I listened to Beolab 5's in dealers for years again and again and was far from impressed everytime. Then I heard them from a used dealer, fell in love and bought them! 

I would suggest another dealer, give yourself loads of time and play around with sound and picture levels?

Bryan06
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member

swestland:

Just came back from my visit to our local dealer. Wasn't really impressed by the whole experience, dealer wanted to sell me a Loewe system which I told him I didn't like as I was coming for the design of the B&O. He told me the eclipse sounded great but didn't demo it. Had to ask for a demo, he turned on a regular TV program to show off its capabilities. Not impressed, so I asked to start youtube with some walgreenslistens music. 

That was better, now I could get some real impression of the sound. Sound stage is wide but it lacks a lot of bass wow, didn't expect that. It really needs a sub. Than I listened to the stage, the stage bass performance is a lot better than eclipse but sound wise it sounds really compressed and not as wide and crisp as the eclipse. 

A pair of Balance as Left and Right is not possible according to the dealer, only for music not for tv/movie. 

Need to listen to an eclipse with subwoofer attached. Will see another dealer if they could help me out. 

Thanks for the information, I will try to figure it out for more. Keep sharing such informative post.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
851 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Oct 20 2021 2:50 PM

I'm surprised about the lack of bass. While I have a sub connected to my Eclipse, I rarely use it as, for me in my home, the bass is perfectly adequate.  I do turn it on for action / adventure movies, but don't always remember, and my wife says she really can't tell that much of a difference. 

Perhaps it wasn't setup correctly, or the showrooms was very large or acoustically dead...  or we have very different bass performance expectations.

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL