Beogram 6500 Skipping

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

blues_travler
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
blues_travler posted on Thu, Feb 21 2013 1:40 AM

I have a recently activated Beogram 6500. It plays but has tracking issues, skipping every few seconds. I have cleaned the stylus. ( it looks normal as far as I can tell) I have made sure the stylus guard is up. The records are clean with no scratches.The tracking force is at 1 gm but I get a little improvement at the maximum tracking force. It is still not acceptable.

All Replies

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,257 Posts
Gold Member

If the deck was stored for longer time, you may have a cleaning and lubrication problem, also belt for the arm carrier may be too old, (if the skipping is backward) if the skipping is forward, there may be a problem with the opto coupler

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

blues_travler
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks. It's been stored for several years. The skipping is forward in very short increments. Is there anything , that's practical, that I can do myself ?

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,149 Posts
Bronze Member

I suggest that you get the stylus/cartridge refurbished by http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/B-O-MMC-Reparatur-Repair/ and a belt set from Dillen here http://forum.beoworld.org/members/Dillen/default.aspx  (I suggest you send him an email)

Regards Graham

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,257 Posts
Gold Member

blues_travler:

Thanks. It's been stored for several years. The skipping is forward in very short increments. Is there anything , that's practical, that I can do myself ?

If you are a little handy, and know just a little about electronics, I suggest that you get the manual, available on site for silver and gold members, and then give the deck a good cleaning and lubricate it. If you have good sound, when not skipping, your pick up should be OK, if the sound is muffled or otherwise bad, the pickup will have to be repaired. New belts are cheap from Dillen, So when clean, lubricated, new belts and the pickup OK, try again.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

blues_travler
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you, everyone, for your help. Unfortunately, I am not good at electronics. The sound is very good when not skipping so I hope tha means the needle is ok. I will try to pursue the cleaning and belt replacement route.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL