rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 0 Followers

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,294 Posts
Bronze Member
matador43 posted on Thu, Jul 22 2021 5:11 PM

Hi alls,

You may find my title a little bit ironic, no offense intended: I know they are many threads on the topic but I've honestly not found a clear answer, not to mention most threads are olds.

I'm in the process of refoaming a pair of C30 speakers. So after looking around for surrounds It seems that two brands raise interest from beoworlders: Goodhifi and Audiofriends. There is an old thread on the Archived Forum where good hifi is pointed as being better, up to the point of the guy from Audiofriend did chime in.
But there is also a recent thread where people is wondering about AF being still in business with answer from a respected member of the forum comforting the OP. Prices are the same more or less.

Then there is the Foam or Rubber point. The answer I've found are or passionate (it was foam then it must be foam) or size dependent. I've also recently come across a thread where a woofer of a C30 or C40 was shown with a surround that did look like rubber to me and was told as original legit by Dillen. To be honest I believe that a speaker refoamed (by me) will loose part of his qualities, I expect that. So if changes will be marginal I would go with the easier to install and longer to last. 

Then I could cross the question like AF Foam vs GHiFi Foam.

Right now and wouldn't talk about shimming or not. one step at the time…

Thanks to everyone helping.

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,911 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Jul 22 2021 6:23 PM

C and CX models use different drivers with different surrounds.
The C surrounds look a little like rubber, but are in fact a kind of coated foam. They tend to last longer than foam, - but not forever.

For CX50/CX100 I would always use foam.
After losening up a little, the new foam surrounds will end up performing very close to the original surrounds,
whereas the T/S parameters if using rubber surrounds will remain far away.

I would also use foam for the C models.

Martin

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
1,294 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you Martin, will do with foam then.
Any supplier you would recommend, between those two or others? 

Dillen:
The C surrounds look a little like rubber, but are in fact a kind of coated foam. They tend to last longer than foam, - but not forever.

When decomposing they do look like foam again!

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,902 Posts
Founder

Audiofriends is still in business. Very knowledgeable man. 

Always trying to reproduce surrounds as close as possible to the original, when it comes to dimensions, material, thickness of it and response.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL