CONFUSED ABOUT 28s vs 50s?!!!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 8 verified answers | 21 Replies | 1 Follower

geomir
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Gold Member
geomir posted on Fri, Jul 9 2021 6:41 AM

I am getting the harmony tv. but am doubled minded about the speakers.....should i get 4 beolab 28s vs getting the 50s and at the back getting 18s. 

The 50s are display demo item so they are giving me a 20% discount, but still with the 2 18s at the back its the more expensive options by at least 9k usd I think. 

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
794 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by geomir

Well I would say that if you’re listening to more music than watching the TV then go the 50s route, otherwise the 28s will be more than capable. I am also thinking if your buying the harmony to begin with, and prepared to buy the 50s, 18s and/or 28s then it sounds like its not particularly a financial decision in which case go for the best, why compromise at all if your not compromising on the tv?

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

BeoJosh
Not Ranked
74 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Leminhhiep

It’ll be an amazing setup no matter what you decide, so don’t stress too much—just enjoy. But if you can swing the extra $9k, I’d recommend going with the 50s/18s combo. I was in a similar situation to you a few months ago, having just ordered the 50s to replace my front 18s with my living room Harmony when the 28s were announced. I thought of going with 2 pairs of 28s instead. Having auditioned them both, the 28s are very impressive, but the 50s are in an entirely different league IMO. I ended up keeping my 50s order (and will have the same setup as you’re thinking about in our living room) and bought a pair of 28s to pair as rear surrounds with the Harmony in my office, and to be used on their own for music from my turntable there. Both sets of speakers are being installed next week just before I go away on holiday, and I can report back further once I’m back. By then you’ll likely have made your choice—and really, you can’t go wrong either way. Let us know what you decide.

--
Beovision Harmony 77, Beovision Harmony 65 x2, Beovision Contour 48, LG GX 65/Beosound Stage/STB Stand
Beolab 50s, Beolab 28s, Beolab 18s x3, Beolab 19, Beoplay A9, Beosound Edge, Beosound 2 x2, Beosound 1 x2, Beosound Core x2, Beoplay M3
Beogram 4002, Beogram TX2, Beogram 4000c (on order)
Beoremote One x7, Beoremote Halo x3
Beoplay H95 x3, Beoplay E8, Beoplay E8 Sport, Beosound A1 x2

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
1,987 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by geomir
Not as good no, but better for movies as the sound stays the same from speaker to speaker. Also if you like volume and do sort of semi passive listening you can set them up in double stereo and every corner will sound the same.

If space is really constrained, 50’s will work, but you will not get the best out of them by having them fight physics all the time.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
314 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Esax replied on Sat, Jul 10 2021 9:41 PM
Verified by geomir
Go for the beolab 50. The difference is like marying the mother insted of the lovly girl.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

BeoJosh
Not Ranked
74 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) BeoJosh replied on Thu, Jul 22 2021 11:17 PM
Verified by geomir

I’ll post more detailed thoughts when I’m back and have spent more quality time with the new 28s and 50s. I only had about an hour with the 50s and even less with the 28s after they were installed before I had to leave for vacation. My initial impression of the 28s was even better than when I auditioned them in store, where I found the bass to be unnaturally boomy on some music. Whether it was a software update or the ARC for my room, that was gone—and all that was left was great sound. But while the 28s sound great, the 50s have been phenomenal. In my short time with them, I’ve already heard things in my favorite music that I’ve never heard before—and all vacation I’ve been dying to get home so I can listen to them some more.

--
Beovision Harmony 77, Beovision Harmony 65 x2, Beovision Contour 48, LG GX 65/Beosound Stage/STB Stand
Beolab 50s, Beolab 28s, Beolab 18s x3, Beolab 19, Beoplay A9, Beosound Edge, Beosound 2 x2, Beosound 1 x2, Beosound Core x2, Beoplay M3

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
3,510 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by geomir
I listened to the 28s after listening to some 90s right next to them, and I was mightily impressed. But and considering their price relative to some 50s I’ve seen being advertised, I’d always have in the back of my mind as to whether I should have just got the 50s.

A friend of mine back in England bought a Bentley, it was a bit cheaper than a Rolls and is a fabulous car which made him very happy. Right up until he saw a Rolls going past a few months later…….

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
155 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) jowus replied on Sat, Jul 24 2021 4:22 PM
Verified by geomir
Hi Geomir,

I think, if you’re thinking getting Lab 50’s +19, then I would suggest, you go for Lab 28 + 28! I think 4 of the Lab 28 would sound phenomenal! And besides, if you don’t have a Large Place, then I don’t think, you would enjoy the 50’s that much! The 50’s needs a Big Room to expand!

I was in the Store the other day to listen to both, and I did like the Sound of the 28’s Better, due to the the Size of the Room they had it in. The 50’s were Great but, the Room was too small for it!

And I also think, Lab 18’s will get lost in the room with the 50’s! Lab 28 will go well with the 18’s! Wish You Good luck with your decision!
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,080 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Sandyb replied on Sat, Jul 24 2021 4:44 PM
Verified by geomir

I respectfully disagree.

My lounge is not large (6m by 5m), and I have 50s as left right for stereo listening.

I'm sure the 28s would be pretty good as well in my room, but having spent time with the 28s, the 50s are better, both in terms of soundstage, bass, and sound a bit richer. A larger room may need 50s, but thats not to say a smaller room dont benefit from them too.

I also have only BL3's as rears, for surround / movie watching, and even those dont get lost - especially considering rear effects are only occasional in many movies.

Adding 19 to a pari of BL50s is also completely unnecessary.

None of the above is accounting for value for money, and I can perfectly see why the value proposition is pretty good with the 28s.

jowus:
Hi Geomir,

I think, if you’re thinking getting Lab 50’s +19, then I would suggest, you go for Lab 28 + 28! I think 4 of the Lab 28 would sound phenomenal! And besides, if you don’t have a Large Place, then I don’t think, you would enjoy the 50’s that much! The 50’s needs a Big Room to expand!

I was in the Store the other day to listen to both, and I did like the Sound of the 28’s Better, due to the the Size of the Room they had it in. The 50’s were Great but, the Room was too small for it!

And I also think, Lab 18’s will get lost in the room with the 50’s! Lab 28 will go well with the 18’s! Wish You Good luck with your decision!

All Replies

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
794 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by geomir

Well I would say that if you’re listening to more music than watching the TV then go the 50s route, otherwise the 28s will be more than capable. I am also thinking if your buying the harmony to begin with, and prepared to buy the 50s, 18s and/or 28s then it sounds like its not particularly a financial decision in which case go for the best, why compromise at all if your not compromising on the tv?

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

BeoJosh
Not Ranked
74 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Leminhhiep

It’ll be an amazing setup no matter what you decide, so don’t stress too much—just enjoy. But if you can swing the extra $9k, I’d recommend going with the 50s/18s combo. I was in a similar situation to you a few months ago, having just ordered the 50s to replace my front 18s with my living room Harmony when the 28s were announced. I thought of going with 2 pairs of 28s instead. Having auditioned them both, the 28s are very impressive, but the 50s are in an entirely different league IMO. I ended up keeping my 50s order (and will have the same setup as you’re thinking about in our living room) and bought a pair of 28s to pair as rear surrounds with the Harmony in my office, and to be used on their own for music from my turntable there. Both sets of speakers are being installed next week just before I go away on holiday, and I can report back further once I’m back. By then you’ll likely have made your choice—and really, you can’t go wrong either way. Let us know what you decide.

--

geomir
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Gold Member
geomir replied on Sat, Jul 10 2021 8:06 AM

thank you kindly for your feedback and advice. I appreciate it. 

One key issue is that I dont have as much room to display the 50s up front. There is a door on the right side of the living room wall where tv will be placed that leaves hardly 3-5 inches. So the beauty of the 50s esp the wooden grill wont be seen I am afraid. 

Also I was told that the 4 28s give a sound as good as the 50s? Am I wrong about that? 

geomir
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Gold Member
geomir replied on Sat, Jul 10 2021 8:06 AM

One key issue is that I dont have as much room to display the 50s up front. There is a door on the right side of the living room wall where tv will be placed that leaves hardly 3-5 inches. So the beauty of the 50s esp the wooden grill wont be seen I am afraid. 

Also I was told that the 4 28s give a sound as good as the 50s? Am I wrong about that? 

But thank you for your reply, very kind of you. 

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
1,987 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by geomir
Not as good no, but better for movies as the sound stays the same from speaker to speaker. Also if you like volume and do sort of semi passive listening you can set them up in double stereo and every corner will sound the same.

If space is really constrained, 50’s will work, but you will not get the best out of them by having them fight physics all the time.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
314 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Esax replied on Sat, Jul 10 2021 9:41 PM
Verified by geomir
Go for the beolab 50. The difference is like marying the mother insted of the lovly girl.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

geomir
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Gold Member
geomir replied on Thu, Jul 22 2021 9:22 PM

hi Josh, have you had a chance to review the 28s vs 50s speakers yet?

very interested to know if your recommendation has changed or become stronger for the 4 28s vs 2 50s plus 18s at the back? 

thanks again for your original reply! and hope your vacations went well. 

BeoJosh
Not Ranked
74 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) BeoJosh replied on Thu, Jul 22 2021 11:17 PM
Verified by geomir

I’ll post more detailed thoughts when I’m back and have spent more quality time with the new 28s and 50s. I only had about an hour with the 50s and even less with the 28s after they were installed before I had to leave for vacation. My initial impression of the 28s was even better than when I auditioned them in store, where I found the bass to be unnaturally boomy on some music. Whether it was a software update or the ARC for my room, that was gone—and all that was left was great sound. But while the 28s sound great, the 50s have been phenomenal. In my short time with them, I’ve already heard things in my favorite music that I’ve never heard before—and all vacation I’ve been dying to get home so I can listen to them some more.

--

geomir
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Gold Member
geomir replied on Fri, Jul 23 2021 6:43 PM

Thanks again for you reply, very kind of you to do so on your break. Will wait till your back.

What color is your harmony and your 50s and 28s by the way? and the 18s that you had. 

And very curious to know what speakers you use for your computer monitor as well. Are they B and O? 

BeoJosh
Not Ranked
74 Posts
Bronze Member

Of course. Trying to get home as quickly as possible to relax and enjoy my speakers! My Harmonys, 50s and 18s are brass/smoked oak. The 28s are anthracite/smoked oak. For my computer I just use the built in iMac speakers. More later this weekend….

--

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
3,510 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by geomir
I listened to the 28s after listening to some 90s right next to them, and I was mightily impressed. But and considering their price relative to some 50s I’ve seen being advertised, I’d always have in the back of my mind as to whether I should have just got the 50s.

A friend of mine back in England bought a Bentley, it was a bit cheaper than a Rolls and is a fabulous car which made him very happy. Right up until he saw a Rolls going past a few months later…….

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,283 Posts
Bronze Member

@Chris

so now he has both 🤗

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
155 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) jowus replied on Sat, Jul 24 2021 4:22 PM
Verified by geomir
Hi Geomir,

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,080 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Sandyb replied on Sat, Jul 24 2021 4:44 PM
Verified by geomir

I respectfully disagree.

My lounge is not large (6m by 5m), and I have 50s as left right for stereo listening.

I'm sure the 28s would be pretty good as well in my room, but having spent time with the 28s, the 50s are better, both in terms of soundstage, bass, and sound a bit richer. A larger room may need 50s, but thats not to say a smaller room dont benefit from them too.

I also have only BL3's as rears, for surround / movie watching, and even those dont get lost - especially considering rear effects are only occasional in many movies.

Adding 19 to a pari of BL50s is also completely unnecessary.

None of the above is accounting for value for money, and I can perfectly see why the value proposition is pretty good with the 28s.

jowus:
Hi Geomir,

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL