Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

One for Geoff?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
132 Posts
Bronze Member
Beofile7 posted on Thu, Jun 17 2021 4:16 PM

It was about 4 years ago I auditioned the Beolab 90. Notwithstanding the sound quality I was a little surprised that the wide/narrow sound format was one or the other.

Subsequently I purchased the Beolab 50's and of course it is the same.

I have had the 50's nearly 3 years now and can appreciate the broadness and spaciality of the speakers in wide mode along with the detail and finess in narrow.

But I cannot help feeling that it would be a huge benefit to have the option of varying between the two?

Surely this would not be a difficult task and could be acheived via a software update?

I am always chasing the best of worlds I know, but this seems quite simple? Or is it? 

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,197 Posts
Bronze Member

Geoff Martin:

All of that being said, we often see when doing listening tests where we ask for a listener's preference between "A" and "B" is that they want something in-between... I'm starting to form the opinion that this is human nature: given a choice between two things, people will want something else.

Cheers

-geoff

When I give my dog the choice between two things, it always wants both.

Also - I remember - when my kids were young, they too wanted both…….instantly.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
643 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Also - I remember - when my kids were young, they too wanted both…….instantly.

Good point... but the average is just half of both... :-)

Cheers
-geoff

BeoJosh
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Bronze Member

OK, since we're talking about what's possible, and not possible, with the 50s, I have a question for Geoff, should you be so kind as to reply--as my 50s will be arriving at port any day now, and will be installed sometime in July.

I recently developed a case of tinnitus from an ear infection, and though the infection has healed sadly the tinnitus hasn't gone away. According to my ENT/audiologist, my hearing is completely normal without any discernible loss (at least within the range they test), but it may persist for some time.

I've I've been able to pinpoint my tinnitus to a ringing tone in both ears at exactly 10Khz at a volume of approximately 7%. Is there some way, in the setup process for the 50s when we calibrate them with ARC, that I could compensate for that and create a (hopefully temporary) setting to negate the tinnitus while listening to the 50s?

--
Beovision Harmony 77, Beovision Harmony 65 x2, Beovision Contour 48, LG GX 65/Beosound Stage/STB Stand
Beolab 50s, Beolab 28s, Beolab 18s x3, Beolab 19, Beoplay A9, Beosound Edge, Beosound 2 x2, Beosound 1 x2, Beosound Core x2, Beoplay M3
Beogram 4000c (on order)
Beoremote One x7, Beoremote Halo x3
Beoplay H95 x3, Beoplay E8, Beoplay E8 Sport, Beosound A1 x2

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
643 Posts
Bronze Member

BeoJosh:

Is there some way, in the setup process for the 50s when we calibrate them with ARC, that I could compensate for that and create a (hopefully temporary) setting to negate the tinnitus while listening to the 50s?

Hi,

Sorry, but as far as I know, there's no way to negate tinnitus. If there were hearing loss, then it's quite easy to use the parametric equaliser in the Beolab 50 to make some kind of compensation for this - although it would be difficult / impossible to do it "correctly" whatever that means.

To my knowledge, the only external way to deal with tinnitus is to mask it, which means making the external sound simply loud enough to "down out" the internal sound. However, this means turning the entire signal up - not just one frequency band - which is not necessarily a healthy option in the long term.

Actually, at the last visit to an ENT/audiologist, I learned that many / most / all people have tinnitus - the only differences are the frequency and the level. For many / most people, the level is so low that normal, everyday noises mask the internal sound(s). It's only when sitting quietly in a quiet room that you find out you have it. This is similar to suddenly learning that you're colour blind when having a conversation in a paint shop over the choice between "white", "eggshell", "ivory", "vanilla", and "alabaster" for painting the hallway.

Cheers
-geoff

BeoJosh
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks, Geoff. That's what I figured, but it was worth a shot--and I appreciate your quick reply. Regardless, I'm very much looking forward to getting the 50s properly set up in my system. Can't wait!

--
Beovision Harmony 77, Beovision Harmony 65 x2, Beovision Contour 48, LG GX 65/Beosound Stage/STB Stand
Beolab 50s, Beolab 28s, Beolab 18s x3, Beolab 19, Beoplay A9, Beosound Edge, Beosound 2 x2, Beosound 1 x2, Beosound Core x2, Beoplay M3
Beogram 4000c (on order)
Beoremote One x7, Beoremote Halo x3
Beoplay H95 x3, Beoplay E8, Beoplay E8 Sport, Beosound A1 x2

wanc1
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
wanc1 replied on Fri, Jun 25 2021 2:55 PM

Hi Geoff,

I was wondering the other day if it is theoretically possible to make the Beolab 90's beam width even narrower through DSP? Or would it require additional side firing drivers to decrease the energy sent to the sides? And would there theoretically have additional benefits or disadvantages to an even narrower beam? 

Thanks,

Ray

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL