Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

How to disconnect ML cable from junction box?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
1,612 Posts
Bronze Member
Daniel posted on Sat, May 15 2021 4:46 PM
Hi gang!

After 16 years in the living room my BeoSound 9000 and the BeoLab 8000’s are getting a new location in the house. Therefore I need to disconnect the master link cable from one of my junction boxes. Unluckily it’s placed under one of the other cables (it’s the cable down to the left on the photo). The master link cable to the BS 9000 will be connected to another junction box in the other side of the house.

What is the best way?

- Cut the cable some 20 centimetres from the box and having a loose end with the wires separated?

- Try to remove the cables and replace them again?

- Cut all four cables, and start all over again with the remaining three?

All Replies

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,323 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, May 15 2021 4:57 PM

I would try the second option, but just remove the 2 cables on the left and then replace the top one.

I think there's a special cable insertion tool that will make re-connection easier - perhaps you have one?

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
1,612 Posts
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Sat, May 15 2021 5:04 PM

Guy:

I would try the second option, but just remove the 2 cables on the left and then replace the top one.

I think there's a special cable insertion tool that will make re-connection easier - perhaps you have one?

Yes, I have the tool needed to connect the wires in the box.

Thank you for your input. This will be tomorrow’s project. I will decide then with way to follow. I guess I have nothing to loose to test number 2.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,109 Posts
Bronze Member

Honestly, if you are not experienced in working with a junction box, I would suggest the first option.

You don’t need the 20 cm - less will do, but be sure that the wires are seperated afterwards.

And.....be sure to disconnect all plugs from the devices, before you start.

If you are confident with the job, do as Guy suggested.

Personally I’d start from scratch (if there is enough cable) - it can be a fiddly job to replace one cable.

From the picture, the original job was well done....did you do it yourself?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
1,612 Posts
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Sat, May 15 2021 6:04 PM

Millemissen:

Honestly, if you are not experienced in working with a junction box, I would suggest the first option.

You don’t need the 20 cm - less will do, but be sure that the wires are seperated afterwards.

And.....be sure to disconnect all plugs from the devices, before you start.

If you are confident with the job, do as Guy suggested.

Personally I’d start from scratch (if there is enough cable) - it can be a fiddly job to replace one cable.

From the picture, the original job was well done....did you do it yourself?

MM

Thank you! 😊 I’ve done it myself, and consider myself experienced in the noble art of master linking. As the system has expanded over the decades there’s a sophisticated net all over the house in the basement, the ground floor and the attic. But I never before had to remove any cables.

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
1,612 Posts
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Tue, May 18 2021 3:52 PM

Update: I went with the second alternative and removed both cables on the left sides.

Before I started, the power was cut to all ML equipment and I removed all ML plugs. The wire holders in the junction box was cleared with a small screwdriver. I cut every wire a cm and connected them again with the special tool needed. It´s always a little nervous afterwards to test the system, but it worked as it should! Thanx for the advice! Smile

The BS 9000 and the BL 8000´s deserved a new location. The old location was almost hidden behind a coach and some curtains. Now they got a new visible stage on a nice wall and just demands to be played. With some nice armchairs in front it´s now our listening place for music.. I´m now on the look out for a nice Beogram to add.

It´s really great to be able to move around the different speakers and systems, and still having them connected.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL