Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

tjeerd
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
tjeerd posted on Thu, May 6 2021 1:32 PM

I have a Beo4 which seems to be broken.

This is what it does:

• CD, V TAPE, A TAPE, 7, 9, 4, 6, 1, 3 are working: Beolab 2000 or Beovision MX 2000 I have responds

• SAT seem to be working: I see infra red signal with a camera, but have no device to test with.

• OFF (red dot): does give infra red signal, Beolab light blinks, but does not turn off; Beovision goes back to the previous channel.

• LIST does not seem to work, but pressing OFF and LIST together shows CONFIG? On the display, but then it does not respond to other inputs (need to remove batteries before any of the functionality described above works again).

• Other buttons do not give infra red signal or change the display.

• When putting in the battery it shows TV on display. Buttons as described above work to control the Beovision, but as soon as it is an other mode it cannot be set back into TV.

I have taken it apart, this is how it looks:

Tought I give it a shot here, maybe someone has an idea.

All Replies

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,493 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, May 6 2021 1:40 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately your picture does not show.

With just some of the buttons working it sounds like a problem with the contact foil under the keypad.  I have posted about this here: https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/40244/298810.aspx#298810

According to the service manual the faulty buttons that you describe are grouped such that a couple of breaks, or misalignment of the foil could also give the symptoms that you describe.  Hopefully the linked thread will enable you to investigate and fix the problem.

tjeerd
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the tip.

I removed the clip and used a small brush to clean between the contacts on the foil and the PCB. That helped to get some more buttons working. Might need to look for a replacement foil then to get them all working.  

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,493 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, May 7 2021 5:55 AM

Yes definitely worth replacing the foil. This has that added advantage of making the Beo4 feel much ‘newer’ to operate as all the buttons will feel more positive. 

L Spad
Top 500 Contributor
Brighton
240 Posts
Bronze Member

I’ve previously repaired broken foil tracks on these using thin strips of tin foil. It’s very fiddly to do but I’ve been successful on two remotes. Are replacement foils still available- would save me some time if any of my others go wrong!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,493 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, May 7 2021 8:23 AM

L Spad :
Are replacement foils still available- would save me some time if any of my others go wrong!

I have bought them from here a couple of years ago - about £15 each: https://www.avaservices.co.uk/

tjeerd
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
tjeerd replied on Fri, May 7 2021 10:28 PM

How does this work exactly?

tjeerd
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
tjeerd replied on Fri, May 7 2021 10:28 PM

How does this work exactly?

tjeerd
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
tjeerd replied on Fri, May 7 2021 10:32 PM

L Spad :

I’ve previously repaired broken foil tracks on these using thin strips of tin foil. It’s very fiddly to do but I’ve been successful on two remotes. Are replacement foils still available- would save me some time if any of my others go wrong!

How does such a broken foil track repair work?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL