Control4 vs. Beoliving Intelligence / Khimo

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Audio
Not Ranked
36 Posts
Bronze Member
Audio posted on Wed, Apr 14 2021 7:06 PM

So far I understood both Control4 and Beoliving Intelligence from Khimo are able to integrate B&O NL products into a home-automation set-up.

Are there experiences what is the better product / better way to go?
Regarding useabilty, 3rd party driver / integration, future proof, price, etc.

All Replies

pjk561
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member
pjk561 replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 10:03 PM

Hi, I have a NEEO remote (Control4 bought NEEO) that I use with my A/V system. My A/V system consists of a Sony TV, Beosystem 4 with attached B&O speakers, Oppo 4K BluRay player, ChannelMaster DVR+ (Over-the-Air TV tuner/DVR). A B&O NL/ML converter connected to a BeoSound 4, BL3500 and the Beosystem 4.

The NEEO system can be controlled via a smart phone or its hand held remote.

I have "recipes" that I self programmed into the NEEO done via the phone app and which can be activated either by the NEEO phone app or the hand held remote.

One such recipe is "DVR" where the TV is turned on and correct input is selected. The Beosystem 4 is turned on and correct input is selected. The DVR is turned on such that I can watch live TV or recorded shows via the DVR. I also have some small PC fans that are also started.Thus the system is "brought up" and ready for me to watch TV.

I also a recipe that I named phone which activates the Beosystem 4 and then via the NL/ML converter accepts a separate Bluetooth module connected via line inputs of the NL/ML converter. I then use my phone to play Amazon music thru the Beosystem 4 via my phones Bluetooth.

I can also play my BeoSound 4 via NL/ML and the Beosystem 4.

Yes a NEEO can control a B&O system. One drawback is that the NEEO system consists of a phone app, a remote and a "Brain", where the brain contains the IR blaster (not in the remote). I cannot use my remote to play sound in a separate room only in the room with my Beosystem 4 and Brain are located. Perhaps Control4 has a solution. Beoliving Intelligence has a solution but I don't know about its third party integration.

Audio
Not Ranked
36 Posts
Bronze Member
Audio replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 9:30 PM

@pjk561: Thank you very much for the detailed description of your use case. It sounds very interesting.

@all: At all my B&O NL products I find the option „Send a new identification message to the control4 system“. What features does Control4 provide, when I link it? Do I get similar functionalities to control my B&O devices via Control4 app like the B&O app offers?  

BeoMatthew
Not Ranked
44 Posts
Bronze Member

So I was a B&O dealer for nearly 20 years, but have been dealing Control4 for about the last 5. I'd say that the BLGW remains a really interesting product, but the limitation has always been a home that isn't 100% B&O (I know, but they do exist!). It's really an automation product that puts the B&O AV experience at the heart of the user interface. For a company that doesn't really do this sort of thing it's a spectacular effort and overall works very well, but, again, it's just not practical for most people. 

What I have at home is Control4 with B&O AV products. I use the Neeo remote for Samsung TVs and have a variety of BeoLink Multiroom products as well as lighting control, thermostats, and shades. All work flawlessly together. 

The drivers for the B&O products are wonderful and I've programmed "Join" buttons to by Lutron keypads via the Control4 system so that when I come in and out of a room I can add and drop that room.

The one thing neither platform excels at is end user programming. For that you'd want to stick with a platform like HomeKit which I also use and really enjoy.

Audio
Not Ranked
36 Posts
Bronze Member
Audio replied on Sat, Apr 17 2021 10:22 AM

@BeoMatthew: Thank you very much for your the insights and your feedback. Great!

I have three further questions regarding Control4:
Currently I am streaming from my NAS with Roon via Airplay to my B&O endpoints. I think to move to Control4 (perhaps Beoliving Intelligence - adventages?) to control my B&O endpoints (among other home automation devices). 

1) Can I continue to stream via Airplay or should I switch to stream via Control4, what are the advantages?

2) In the case of streaming via Control4 I need probably a C4-EA3 (for 3 audio streams). In the case of streaming via Airplay and I only control the B&O endpoints via Control4 is a CA-1 sufficient then?

3) Is it possible to program / set-up Control4 by myself? Or does only a licensed programmer get access to the control4 software to set it up?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL